• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What can I wear with this cardigan?

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
I bought this very plain but nice material cardigan - but I'm not sure what I can wear it with.
I like the "cardi under a sports jacket" look, but does it work without a tie? I don't wear a tie much these days. I tried it with a few casual outfits but it doesn't really seem to fit - I think because the material is too fine so it only really goes with tailoring.
Does a cardigan like this over a polo shirt work? Or a t-shirt?
Is it too close in colour to the oatmeal jacket to wear as a mid-layer? Or does it manage to look "tonal"?
View attachment 1605797 View attachment 1605799 View attachment 1605802 View attachment 1605805 PXL_20210506_125044658.jpg PXL_20210506_124620015.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20210506_132420644.jpg
    PXL_20210506_132420644.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 8

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not over a t-shirt. Just not a look I care for.

No offense, but wearing it under a sport coat and open over a polo shirt looks best on you. Wearing it buttoned without anything else covering it doesn’t look good on your body. It’s just too tight.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
Not over a t-shirt. Just not a look I care for.

No offense, but wearing it under a sport coat and open over a polo shirt looks best on you. Wearing it buttoned without anything else covering it doesn’t look good on your body. It’s just too tight.

No offence taken. Looking at the pictures of it buttoned without a jacket, makes the effect that lockdown living has had on my waistline very apparent to me.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To answer the question about color, yes, too similar. With a formal jacket, it looks too much like a cheap imitation of a formal vest, as a formal vest likely would be gray..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads