• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What can I wear with navy pinstripe trousers?

dsmolken

Reaction score
I've got a pair of Phat Farm cotton trousers in navy with pinstripes. What can I get away with wearing with'em? Black cotton canvas blazer? Darker navy wool blazer? Brown leather waistcoats? (Yes, I'm a redneck.) Or should I stick to just wearing them with shirts?

They were cheap and fit me well without alterations, plus being cotton they're great for biking to work. So I could get a lot of use out of them, I'd just like to avoid looking too silly while I'm at it.

And if the answer is "don't wear them at all, they look inherently silly" I guess at least they were cheap...

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pink

yo!

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dsmolken
I've got a pair of Phat Farm cotton trousers in navy with pinstripes. What can I get away with wearing with'em? Black Black cotton canvas blazer? Darker navynavy wool blazer? Brown leather waistcoats?
Don't wear them at all, You will look silly, at least if you try to wear navy with black, or two different navies together. If the pinstripe is greyish, try grey or charcoal.

dsmolken

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yo!
Don't wear them at all, You will look silly, at least if you try to wear navy with black, or two different navies together.

If the pinstripe is greyish, try grey or charcoal.

Thanks. I see middle-aged guys walking around town dressed like that all the time, so I thought I'd ask if it's wrong.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dsmolken
Thanks. I see middle-aged guys walking around town dressed like that all the time, so I thought I'd ask if it's wrong.

Unless you are Admiral in the Navy, it's wrong.

dsmolken

Reaction score
Originally Posted by garmentmerchant
just wear the navy pinstripe pants alone with a dress shirt or dress/casual shirt. I wouldnt wear it with an odd blazer just shirt and pants could be a good casual dressed up look
Thanks. That's what I often wear for work - I work in IT - so I can put them in regular rotation.
Originally Posted by Zenny
Unless you are Admiral in the Navy, it's wrong.
All right then, I'm not so it's wrong.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by garmentmerchant
just wear the navy pinstripe pants alone with a dress shirt or dress/casual shirt. I wouldnt wear it with an odd blazer just shirt and pants could be a good casual dressed up look
I'm not a fan of pinstripe odd pants, but I think wearing them without a jacket would look okay.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Phat Farm? Are the trousers as baggy as their jeans? If so, I certainly wouldn't wear them to work.

garmentmerchant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
Phat Farm? Are the trousers as baggy as their jeans?

Not generally there suits and urbanwear are licensed to 2 differnet production companies. Theyre suits are a more conservative cut not the urban look that your expecting.

They make a very good quality suit for its price point.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads