• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What can I wear this shirt with?

gregor

Reaction score
I bought this shirt but I haven't worn it yet.. in fact I don't even know if I like it..
What colour pants do I wear it with?

products%5C34796_n.jpg

My options:
White
Black
Black stripe-ish
Navy
Black herringbone

What Tie?

Thanks.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White, cream, or black with stripes, if you must. Try not to buy anymore dark colored shirts.

Made in California

Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
White, cream, or black with stripes, if you must. Try not to buy anymore dark colored shirts.

Surely, some people must look good in dark-colored shirts.

Osprey Guy

Reaction score
Ridiculous comment. Although best as sport shirts, when done well dark shirts can look great on anyone.

BTW- Your shirt is quite nice. Very reminiscent of a dark purple, Gucci shirt I bought at Neiman's nearly 20 years ago (I liked it so much that I also bought it in a deep rust color). Still looks terrific today.

Purple is probably most easily worn with black. Though I often opt for grey with purple. But then again, if you've got the cojones for it, I suspect that shirt would be killer with white jeans. Oh, and you may be surprised at how many women (and men) will compliment you on the color.

Go for it!

D-

WRAdvisor

Reaction score
I'm a fan of grey pants with purple. I think you have to go with grey or black.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wouldn't wear a tie with that shirt at all--the shirt is too dark and too casual for that.

As for pants, I think the best you can do is gray. Maybe white if you're feeling bold. Honestly, though, I don't think there's anything you could pair with that shirt that would look good. Gray would just be less bad than the other possibilities.

bearsfan172

Reaction score
I do enjoy the patterning of the shirt, and purple is a really good color in my opinion

That being said, it would not serve very well for "dress up situations" (i.e. suit and tie). I probably wouldn't wear it with a tie at all....

I think light grey pairs best with darker purples, but black would obviously work as well. As someone said above, pairing it with white jeans would look really nice, but only if you're well suited for the look it would give. If you want to wear it with a suit, I would wear it open neck with a creme or light to mid grey suit. I would stay away from a black or darker suit with it, because it will tend to get very dark very quickly. All of the above mentioned situations are more casual, simply because that is what the shirt works best for. I would not wear it to the office (unless the office is business casual)

foulard

Reaction score
Its shocking because of its shine.

But if you have to wear it, try to grubby it up by wearing it down with worn demin jeans rolled sleeves and a little open necked maybe even paired with well worn tan sandles and slightly untucked.

Thats my two cents worth anyway.

PS you must have a tan at the time.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
I wouldn't wear a tie with that shirt at all--the shirt is too dark and too casual for that.

As for pants, I think the best you can do is gray. Maybe white if you're feeling bold. Honestly, though, I don't think there's anything you could pair with that shirt that would look good. Gray would just be less bad than the other possibilities.

Agree with you...

I would wear it open neck with a suit or casual clothing..

I do it all the time when I go out...

The pattern is too strong to have a shirt with it...

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Slim black jeans , unctucked or tucked with a dress belt.

Nice to go out on weekends, but please don´t use it to dress on tie and jacket.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have that exact shirt (I work for Lewin) mostly I wear it with slim cut grey wool trousers and open neck. If you really want a tie, something like this may work:
products%5C30808_n.jpg
products%5C33474_n.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads