• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Brands Do You Guys Buy?

CrystalCrunch

Reaction score
I am mostly into Versace and Jhane Barnes, But everyone on this community always complains about everything. So Insight me. What should I buy? I do not like plain looking stuff, you know stuff that makes you look like a boring business man reading a book. Thanks.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you are mostly into Versace and Jhane Barnes then by all means stick with it. In your eyes if it ain't broke don't fix it.
teacha.gif

VelvetGreen

Reaction score

CrystalCrunch

Reaction score
I am just trying to get more into the "fashion" sence.. I mean I don't want to look like a moron and I don't want to just buy robert graham because I know it looks good "like so many others do"

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm really into Hugo Boss, Diesel, Theory, and some Zegna but only if it is Z Zegna.

In all seriousness, SF is fairly anti-brand. I'll go out on a limb and say if you purchase a LV or Dior Homme suit, it's going to be bad-ass, but people here will hate it.

The only brands that are acceptable in terms of clothing that I see here are Kiton, Brioni, and anything blocky and fully canvassed. Most of the folks prefer bespoke or at least MTM by a reputable tailor.

I'm in between the snobbishness and layman. At the end of the day, I like fashionable first, but only if it's made in italy or france, etc.

bjornb17

Reaction score
I am a cheapskate by SF standards. i monstly buy:

Charles Tyrwhitt shrits
Allen Edmonds shoes
TH or Polo socks, undershits, etc.
Wool pants from multiple sources.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirGrotius
anything blocky and fully canvassed.

Fully canvassed does not equal blocky and most on here do not even prefer sack suits.
facepalm.gif

I think you may be reading a different web site.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
If you are mostly into Versace and Jhane Barnes then by all means stick with it. In your eyes if it ain't broke don't fix it.
teacha.gif

I like you! Good advice.

To be frank with OP, Styleforum is not really packed with brand fans or fashion wannabes. Personally, I dont care too much about brands, I like what I like, branded or unbranded, RTW or Bespoke, it makes no diff to me. It all comes down to the individual piece, how it looks, its durability and quality of construction ... these things matter to me more than whether a tag says this brand or that ...

Not much of a contradiction of terms, but I do slightly favour Robert Graham - the eccentric overpriced shirts and over the top ties, love them and hate to admit it. Other than that, Etro are liked for same reasons as Rob Graham above. Ralph Lauren Purple Label suits me down to the ground for more classic wear, and usually if I need something, I start my line of enquiries here. Often I end up buying something else or getting Bespoke, but I find my search preferences are usually Ralph Lauren Related.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your best starting point would be to read GQ and STYLE magazines.
Both are useful for those who are orienting themselves with mens clothes,
especially for the look that you are seeking for your lifestyle. From these magazines you will learn a lot of brand names but more importantly you will get some useful ideas to expanding your wardrobe and put outfits together. etc. The items featured in these magazines can be expensive so if your budget will not allow, you can always find more affordable alternative brands and emulate just about any look you desire.

Additionally, it would serve you better to give some useful information about yourself when asking a question. For example: I am 22 years of age and live in Chicago. I am 5'-6" tall and about 145lbs, slim build, non athletic, fair complexion etc I wish to learn the basics of dressing well for informal or non-business settings. My budget is $____ Where to begin?
The more information you give, the more information you will receive.
Take some time (a month at the least) to surf through the thousands of topics here and use the Search feature. Best of luck in your quest.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
People on here who do buy "brands" are usually buying from makers of apparel, not really designers. Just like you can buy a desk at Ikea, or have a reputable craftsman build you one. There is a big difference. A lot of people confuse quality, or craftsmanship with designer label. Of course there is sometimes overlap and a lot of the members here know the difference. I would say that as far as suits are concerned for RTW to name a few Oxxford, Zegna Mainline, Caruso, Kiton, Attolini are all good choices. For shoes generally stay away from "designer" shoes and stick with shoemakers like Edward Green, Gaziano & Girling, St. Crispin, Vass...

Many people on here begin this way and they end up shying away from these mass produced brands and getting more into refining their fit through bespoke tailors, or if not bespoke they fall just more into their own style through pattern matching, color coordinating and building a more well-rounded wardrobe for different seasons and different circumstances.

But like I said, if you are into Versace and Jhane Barnes then stick with it unless of course there are things you don't like about it. I must say the Jhane Barnes thing came from left field, seems like a strange choice for somebody who first mentions Versace.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SirGrotius
In all seriousness, SF is fairly anti-brand.
The only brands that are acceptable in terms of clothing that I see here are Kiton, Brioni, and anything blocky and fully canvassed.

To be frank with OP, Styleforum is not really packed with brand fans or fashion wannabes.

For a forum that doesn't like brands, there is an awful lot of talk about brands.

CrystalCrunch

Reaction score
ya this forum is like a rubiks cube. Imma just wear what I like and what I think it hot and say **** everyone else. no offense.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cant kill da Rooster
For a forum that doesn't like brands, there is an awful lot of talk about brands.

But there would be - people that shop at saks, neiman etc or online at Yoox, the Bay, etc... what do you find other than brands there? Only a small fraction of members here actually go whole hog bespoke, but even then, I doubt there is anyone here that bespokes absolutely everything in their wardrobe including belts, shoes, shirts, ties etc etc...

Anti brand in my book does not mean "hate all brands", it simply is a dissaproval of "liking something because it is a brand and for no other reason". I.e. if Gucci made a shirt dyed with human **** and had a sweetcorn pattern throughout, I guarantee someone would love this shirt because it is "Gucci".

Anyway, PatrickBooth echoes the general consensus behind the brand buying - it is about the clothes, not the brands.

Originally Posted by CrystalCrunch
ya this forum is like a rubiks cube. Imma just wear what I like and what I think it hot and say **** everyone else. no offense.

I agree, but keeping an open mind does not hurt. If people say dont buy Versace for some lame reason, then tell em to kiss your hairy butt. But be open to other alternatives, an item does not need a Versace tag (or whatever other name brand tag) to be good. Good is good regardless.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads