• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What brands are nailing the 'Americana' look right now?

rxcowboy

Reaction score
I know Americana is probably the wrong word, but I'm not quite sure there is one for what I'm trying to describe. When you think of 'classic', even idealized American style, what brands come to mind? For me J. Crew is blowing this look out of the water lately. Sure they are alittle pricey, but I can live with it, especially with a student discount. Nothing too flashy, good construction, fits are getting better all the time, and the aesthetic is a good blend of modern and retro.

Engineered garments has a good style, but honestly they seem very overpriced and the sizing is far too boxy. I'm nosing around the www.rugby.com website, RL is in the same vein as J. Crew but I really hate the prominent branding on so many of the pieces.

What other brands so you think follow this?

Ritchee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea, Rugby has some nice pieces but they ruined the cropped toggle coat with the crest on the arm. YUCK.

But from me J. Crew has it for mall brands: chambray shirt, Red Wing boots, oilcloth field jacket, thermal henley. I tend to mix them with pieces I have from Engineered Garments, Nom de Guerre, and Rag & Bone.

TheDroog

Reaction score
LL Bean it totally killing it!!!! They've been waiting 96 years for the rest of America to catch up with their avant garde duck boots and plaid shirts

JO3B

Reaction score
if you don't appreciate it, why bother wasting the time to post? we can't all dress like one of the crew from clockwork.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
define american???
there are a **** load of brands "nailing" the look inmy opinion.
Are you price sensitive??
there are many factors . It just seems to me you are riding J.crew's nuts and that's fine but there are so many brands hitting the mark....

RRL
sugar cane
wool rich
EG
LL Bean
Orvis
rag and bone
LVC
Lee
the list goes on and on.

TheDroog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauro
define american???
there are a **** load of brands "nailing" the look inmy opinion.
Are you price sensitive??
there are many factors . It just seems to me you are riding J.crew's nuts and that's fine but there are so many brands hitting the mark....

RRL
sugar cane
wool rich
EG
LL Bean
Orvis
rag and bone
LVC
Lee
the list goes on and on.

This is a very good point. J.Crew and Rugby are East-Coast preppy. The rugged Americana look that is big this season seems to have a more blue-collar feel, so Woolrich, LL Bean, Redwing, etc. are your standard bearers, and then there are the designer labels who are doing slimmer fitting versions of the same thing with luxury fabrics (Engineered Garments comes to mind).

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have some items from "New Republic," which sadly no longer exists (has nothing to do with Banana, of course). Very interesting, traditional garments made very well...

I also have a tough time finding out much info about them, but they really did the "Americana" thing well, IMHO.

The Rugby stuff I've seen is interesting, but it seems far too interesting in saying RALPH! RUGBY! all over it to be of much use to me.

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JCrew certainly pops out in my mind, but I think this brand is getting a bit overplayed. I'd like to see Rugby more available. What I see online is amazing, but I reserve judgement until I can actually try something on.

... Then I sit to think of another brand which accurately portrays Americana as you describe it, and nothing comes to mind.

rxcowboy

Reaction score
1: The Droog: Do you have a point or did you just come in here to threadshit? Also, I'd hardly call redwing a standard bearer, they've made the same thing, untouched, for years. Out of all the pairs of boots they make maybe a dozen are mentioned and appreciated on here. GTs are great and ubiquotous, hell I have a pair, but I'd hardly call them the standard bearer of anything

2: Mauro: Heh I'm enthusiastic about J. Crew because they are going for a 50's-60's preppy look, which is the Americana I like. I appreciate all the western wear and lumberjack flannel that's popping up lately for the other side of the spectrum, but I just can't pull off the slimfit indie rock cowboy look.

And price is a factor which is why EG is out of the question. I can justify 500 on a pair of boots that are versatile, but the same price for an article of clothing from EG that doesn't even fit me well without a ton of tailoring? I'll pass.

Pangolin

Reaction score
Because most of what they produce are exact replicas of vintage garments, I would say Warehouse.

rxcowboy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by octopandda
Because most of what they produce are exact replicas of vintage garments, I would say Warehouse.

Do they have a webpage and do you have a link to it? Googling warehouse clothing sent me to a women's clothing site in the UK, and to The Men's Warehouse, and I'm hoping that you weren't referring to either one of these sites.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads