• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What brand of tie for <$50? Silk, slim, matte solid midnight navy (pic)

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It will look cheap and tie a bad knot. There are a number of options that are significantly better at the 60-70 dollar price point, and at the moment, Yellow Hook has something on sale at 50 bucks, matches what you need, and will be infinitely better than anything you could get at The Tie Bar.

https://yellow-hook-necktie-co.mysh.../products/matte-finish-double-sided-navy-silk

They generally have pretty small quantities, so you'd probably be best served by jumping on that.

BigRob

Reaction score
I did some background reading about that company; apparently it's a very small company and its ties are handmade by an old Italian woman named Maria.

I'm looking for ties made by a company with more institutional credibility - a brand that has existed for a while. I can't tell a good tie from a cheap one so I will need to rely upon the company's quality control process.

As an option, a Corneliani tie (NWT) was offered to me for $50. (http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z382/jrd618/ebay/IMG_6406_zps16d4ba91.jpg - second from the left.)

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Last edited:

jlykos

Reaction score
Spend an extra $25 and get yourself an outstanding navy grenadine tie from Kent Wang.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I find the wool lining that KW uses in his grenadines to be a bit too thick. Interferes with tying a great knot and causes the tie to be a little stiff (at least compared with Hober or Drakes). At $75, he's much better off jumping up the extra 10 to get something from Sam Hober. KW also only offers grossa grenadines, and since the OP wants to wear his with a suit, I suspect that fina or piccola weaves will be more suitable for his uses.

It's a moot point, since the OP seems much more interested in trusting a brand name over the information provided by the dozens of tie lovers on this forum.

Last edited:

BigRob

Reaction score
I find the wool lining that KW uses in his grenadines to be a bit too thick. Interferes with tying a great knot and causes the tie to be a little stiff (at least compared with Hober or Drakes). At $75, he's much better off jumping up the extra 10 to get something from Sam Hober. KW also only offers grossa grenadines, and since the OP wants to wear his with a suit, I suspect that fina or piccola weaves will be more suitable for his uses.

It's a moot point, since the OP seems much more interested in trusting a brand name over the information provided by one tie lover on this forum.

I fixed that for you, Claghorn. Thank you for your advice.

Friskydingo

Reaction score

I did some background reading about that company; apparently it's a very small company and its ties are handmade by an old Italian woman named Maria.

I'm looking for ties made by a company with more institutional credibility - a brand that has existed for a while.  I can't tell a good tie from a cheap one so I will need to rely upon the company's quality control process.

You are going to be hard pressed to find a better tie for the price. Yellowhook ties is the project of a style forum member, and are some of the best ties I own. You will not regret it. Infinitely better than and piece of crap from Tie Bar.

ckgs

Reaction score
Might want to shop eBay. You can get a great tie from high end makes for <$50.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads