What Brand of Suit for THIN guy?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by greentorii, Apr 22, 2008.

1. greentorii

greentorii Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I want to buy a suit on eBay/overstock/amazon. I'm 5'11, 137 pound (underweight), 38 shoulder, 31 waist.

I was wondering, which brand of suit from the three locations above is the most fitted/slim/european in the waist area so I'll have minimum tailoring.

This suit will be for business occasions[​IMG] (networking, interview, etc).

Thanks!

2. athletics

athletics Senior member

Try Boglioli. With your 7 inch drop it should fit you just fine. Great for thin guys and stylish, but versatile and classy.

3. embowafa

embowafa Senior member

4. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

5. greentorii

@athletics: thanks for your suggestion, ebay doesn't seem to have many listings on boglioli, and amazon/overstock doesn't have it at all

@embowafa: I was planning to go with TaT, but there seems to be a string of measurement or construction issues as i followed the thread...it might just be better to get a off the rack suit and then get it altered.

@Skinnygoomba: I'll look into it thanks.

any other suggestions?

6. athletics

athletics Senior member

@athletics: thanks for your suggestion, ebay doesn't seem to have many listings on boglioli, and amazon/overstock doesn't have it at all

any other suggestions?

Yoox.com will have some Boglioli fairly often. Ralph Lauren Black Label is good too, but costly and not so easy to find. Caruso could be another choice.

7. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

Ralph Lauren Polo label.

Ralph Lauren Black Label would be better, no?

8. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Ralph Lauren Black Label would be better, no?

Depends on the Polo model. Some are very trim, others not so much so.

9. PinkPantser

PinkPantser Senior member

10. Twotone

Twotone Senior member

Fit is more important than "brand". I'd advise against buying what sounds like your first suit on ebay -- much greater chance of failure than success. You really need to go to men's shops and see what fits you the best and decide what you like (style, fabric, etc.).

I have bought a number of HF Collection suits in 39R from local shops and know exactly how they fit with a bit of tailoring. Having done so, I can now shop for ebay bargains. However, I would not recommend ebay as a place to start.

Just my thoughts,
    Twotone

11. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I agree with two tone, do some research.

However after you've done the research, feel free to buy online!

I believe its Polo II that fits me really well. (whichever one comes with a J in the sleeve tag)

I started by having a salesman with a good eye help me pick out a suit that fit nicely.

Bought it when it went on sale.

Then i realised....hmm this could use about .5" off each shoulder, tigher in the waist....ect.

I figured out the measurements i liked from that suit, and i work backwards from there.

Then i was trying on RL Polo suits one day recently, and talking to the salesman.

I basically told him i hunt ebay for bargains, ect, and i also mentioned i'd be back with a few bucks to spend when these suits are on sale.

I did a little research, found out the measurements of that suit, and went from there.

Since then i bought a canali sportcoat for $250 then had the shoulders taken in ($140) so overall i have a jacket that fits like MTM, made by Canali (italy) for $390

I have another on the way that i snagged for $180....the shoulder measurement was smaller, so i wont need to touch that, but i may need to take the waist in a little.

Oh, just for reference i'm 5'11" and 145lbs.

12. NorCal_1

NorCal_1 Senior member

greentorii, this may be your lucky day

a seller on eBay has a bunch of Ralph Lauren Purple Label suits (20 of them) made for a client that didn't take delivery in a size 38 jacket, 32 pant

see the listings here:

http://clothing.search.ebay.com/_Men...QQsassZricysue

"There are 20 Purple Label Suits and Blazers in this collection in my store

They were Custom Tailored for one of my clients, who is more a sz 38 R, but they are marked 40L

He never wore them, and they are brand new, most with tags, unhemed pants

He has a very narrow waist tailored in the Jackets , so I will include the waist measurment in the jackets

in New Excellent condition"

13. The_Game07

The_Game07 Senior member

Thick As Thieves are namedropped in every suit thread on SF. I think this says a lot [​IMG]

14. academe

academe Senior member

Fit is more important than "brand". I'd advise against buying what sounds like your first suit on ebay -- much greater chance of failure than success. You really need to go to men's shops and see what fits you the best and decide what you like (style, fabric, etc.).
    +1 Have to second Twotone and Skinny on this one. Try on as many suits as you can get your hands on, so you get a general sense of how different designers cut their suits and the relative sizing. OP: What's your price point?

15. greentorii

Pricing point would have to be under $500.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was hoping people would just tell me which brand has cuts that fits skinny guys the best, but it might be a good idea to just go out and try em on myself haha...