• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What brand of boxers to buy?

phatty123

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2007
Messages
233
Reaction score
0
I wear boxers but buy the cheap ones and want some better ones. Can someone recommend me what brand to buy? I think Calvin Klein is the best option though its the most expensive? What about hanes, fruit of the loom? Banana republic and gap? Anyone who wear boxers can give me their option?

Also, what size would be best? I'm about 5'8 and 160lbs and have a 31-32 inch waist when i wear jeans. I know i either wear a small or medium and i know some brands actually have sizes that are too big. But other brands that are true to fit. Can you tell me what brand of boxers you wear and what size you wear and your waist size?

Thank you
 

QMan

New Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I agree Calvin Klein are great for traditional boxers. I also like/buy Polo, which certainly won't be any less expensive, but both seem to last forever. When trying to save a few bucks, those I've tried ride up, then I'm hanging out, or only last a long time because I avoid wearing them. If I see them on sale and can find 32" size (like you) in a dark color/pattern that I can stand (which isn't easy), I just buy them... no regrets.
 

Mort Sobite

Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2010
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by phatty123
I wear boxers but buy the cheap ones and want some better ones. Can someone recommend me what brand to buy? I think Calvin Klein is the best option though its the most expensive? What about hanes, fruit of the loom? Banana republic and gap? Anyone who wear boxers can give me their option?

Also, what size would be best? I'm about 5'8 and 160lbs and have a 31-32 inch waist when i wear jeans. I know i either wear a small or medium and i know some brands actually have sizes that are too big. But other brands that are true to fit. Can you tell me what brand of boxers you wear and what size you wear and your waist size?

Thank you


Brooks Brothers
get the slim cut if you like them slim
 

phatty123

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2007
Messages
233
Reaction score
0
hey guys. Do you know if calvin klein and ralph lauren sizing is pretty accurate? Thus if i have 31-32' waist, i should get the medium as oppose to small? I am pretty positive i cannot return underwear. Also, getting them from century 21 department store should be fine right? Or should i go somewhere else that isn't so cheap?
 

PITAronin

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 24, 2004
Messages
372
Reaction score
1
Why not check out Carl from Cego Shirtmakers (who posts here and does boxers from interesting fabrics and occasionally puts his stuff on sale - and, if memory serves, also offers his boxers in sized waists)
 

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Dec 3, 2009
Messages
19,749
Reaction score
2,692
Originally Posted by phatty123
hey guys. Do you know if calvin klein and ralph lauren sizing is pretty accurate? Thus if i have 31-32' waist, i should get the medium as oppose to small? I am pretty positive i cannot return underwear. Also, getting them from century 21 department store should be fine right? Or should i go somewhere else that isn't so cheap?

calvin sizing is accurate. c21 is a perfect place to buy them...
 

Avocat

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 1, 2010
Messages
346
Reaction score
3
^^^ I also find that CK sizing is accurate, as does everyone in my family who wears them. CK's come in thick and thin cotton designs to work with all clothing types and activities, with an assortment of colors available, and are comfortable.

That said, and don't know if it's true for all of their lines, but it seems that new boy's boxers and women's slim fit boxer-briefs are made in Thailand, with quality control suffering-i.e., don't hold up to wash and wear like they used to. Just thought I'd give you a heads-up in the event its applicable to the new men's boxers, too.
 

WallStPeon

Active Member
Joined
Dec 1, 2010
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
Polo or CK trunks are best, imo. Not a fan of boxers unless they're super tapered and slim in the legs.
 

Art Vandelay

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 2, 2005
Messages
59
Reaction score
0
Charvet is the best if money is no object. AFAIK only the Paris flagship sells them. I guess Chinese made CK and RL are ok.
 

EBugatti

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2009
Messages
513
Reaction score
18
Actually, try the new RL Purple Label boxers. Awesome. Beautiful cotton and MOP buttons.
 

celeste_pista

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2009
Messages
445
Reaction score
6
as my older boxers wear out i am replacing them with the following:

patagonia active classic boxer...lightweight, thin fabric so fit well under pants, and great for any active pursuit you might do (I acknowledge these are nonSF approved, but i encourage anyone to try a pair...they are awesome)
&
saks pima cotton boxer brief - soft cotton, cheap, and give a bit more support for the gentlemen...note that they shrink a fair amount after one trip to the dryer, though

ive not been thrilled with my bb boxer purchases...ymmv
 

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2008
Messages
8,473
Reaction score
759
h&m boxers for the cheap (pack of 3 for under 18) ... CK for more money
 

celeste_pista

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2009
Messages
445
Reaction score
6
Originally Posted by EBugatti
Actually, try the new RL Purple Label boxers. Awesome. Beautiful cotton and MOP buttons.

and to think the op thought ck was expensive...
 

dastorm

Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2010
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Bawbags are gimmicky nonsense that I'd recommend avoiding.
 

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

  • Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

  • Loafers

  • Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

  • Monk strap shoes

  • Oxford / Derby shoes

  • Sneakers


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,161
Messages
9,193,388
Members
193,081
Latest member
Mrho1130

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top