Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What Brand makes the lightest or most breathable underwear?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by amdovers, Apr 18, 2011.

1. amdovers

amdovers Well-Known Member

Hi, I´m looking for high quality, highly breathable men´s underwear for tropical climate or for a very active lifestyle. I don´t like sweating profusely in the summer so I really need this kind of underwear. Which would be the best fabric for this kind of extra transpirable & light underwear I´m looking for? What brands are the best for this in the market? What kind of underwear would be: kind of shape & cut? Maybe it helps you if you picture that this underwear would be worn for climbing a hill or for walking fast in a sunny day for 30-45 minutes...

2. Loudly

Loudly Senior member

This may be a controversial pick, but I'd say one of the thinner Icebreaker offerings.

3. spectre

spectre Senior member

Wintersilks full cut briefs.

4. niidawg3

niidawg3 Senior member

5. razl

razl Senior member

Im in a similar situation - I sweat profusely (yuck) and am in warm, tropical central Florida.

You want underwear made out of "sports tech" material, not cotton.

Underarmor makes armorjocks that at about $20 a pop, aren't cheap. Also, they're sizing is by 2", so if you're an inbetweener like me, they are too lose.

Nike makes some dri-fit compression type underwear for sports that can work.

But the best cost/performance that I've found so far are at Target - they have an in-house C9 line that you can get for about $9 a pair. They come in different lengths: brief, short, long and they recently added perforations to them in the pouch area.

Note that the C9 line also has cotton based ones in 2 or 3 packs - those are not what I'm talking about. You want the mostly poly stretchy tech stuff. I went on their website to try and get a link but can't really tell online - in the store you can definitely tell the difference between the cotton and the tech stuff.

6. Loudly

Loudly Senior member

In my experience, merino wool tends to stay "fresher" longer than tech fabrics. Agree that it's best to stay away from cotton.

Im in a similar situation - I sweat profusely (yuck) and am in warm, tropical central Florida.

You want underwear made out of "sports tech" material, not cotton.

Underarmor makes armorjocks that at about $20 a pop, aren't cheap. Also, they're sizing is by 2", so if you're an inbetweener like me, they are too lose.

Nike makes some dri-fit compression type underwear for sports that can work.

But the best cost/performance that I've found so far are at Target - they have an in-house C9 line that you can get for about $9 a pair. They come in different lengths: brief, short, long and they recently added perforations to them in the pouch area.

Note that the C9 line also has cotton based ones in 2 or 3 packs - those are not what I'm talking about. You want the mostly poly stretchy tech stuff. I went on their website to try and get a link but can't really tell online - in the store you can definitely tell the difference between the cotton and the tech stuff.

7. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

im sure International Male offers some wonderful briefs and undershirts in mesh.

8. LanceW

LanceW Senior member

You might also give Key Largo a try. They do quite a bit of moisture wicking but I have not tried others to compare.

9. Steve Thomas

Steve Thomas Senior member

im sure International Male offers some wonderful briefs and undershirts in mesh.

I actually snorted at my desk. Now will someone please bring back Chess King and Merry Go Round!

10. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    I wear motorcycle leathers all summer long, in Georgia. I would die without Under Armour.

11. amdovers

I actually snorted at my desk. Now will someone please bring back Chess King and Merry Go Round!

what do you mean you snorted?

12. NotoriousMarquis

NotoriousMarquis Senior member

Sunspel makes famously light underwear.

13. michaelvl

michaelvl Senior member

I can highly recommend Falke sport summer underwear.

14. linkinwayne

linkinwayne Senior member

15. amdovers

Sunspel makes famously light underwear.

I can highly recommend Falke sport summer underwear.

but are they the lightest and most breathable?