• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
What about raw denim? Very pricey.

Not always: http://www.lee.com/store/LEE_STORE_U...ue-colors.html

Available in a raw form of black, the raw version of their pepper (standard blue), and a rinse. Not to mention a bunch of other colors and washes, if you're so inclined.

And the regular fit lees are a nice slim straight fit that's been the same for decades (and fits me better than any levis cut). Unfortunately, the got rid of the real leather patch a year or two ago.

I think part of the hate for expensive jeans (myself included) is that so much of it is just gimmicks that make no real difference in the quality of the garment. To avoid pissing off the SW&D crowd too much, I'll leave it at that.

hidepenny

Reaction score
beening wearing elvisu for 2-3 years, until i got sick of the backside art work...then moved to dr denim, love their price and quality, then recently bought a first ever pair of diesel, and love that too...

mic

Reaction score
Levis. Anything else would seem weird.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
I think part of the hate for expensive jeans (myself included) is that so much of it is just gimmicks that make no real difference in the quality of the garment. To avoid pissing off the SW&D crowd too much, I'll leave it at that.

Same here. I've found Joe's, True Religions, Diesels, 7s, etc to be overpriced quality-wise. I think you're paying more for name and marketing than you are for quality, with a few exceptions. I do love both pairs of R&R I have.

I don't mind paying, as long as its for quality, not gimmicks or marketing hype.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mic
Levis. Anything else would seem weird.

This would actually make a good marketing slogan for them.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LeeReynolds
I'm sorry you're so insecure.

cruiser is that you??!!!111!!!!

Opermann

Reaction score
RRL denim is great when you can find it at the outlets. I got a pair of slim bootcuts and the quality and fit is amazing for the price I paid. It's not really a bootcut fit at all, reminds me a lot of my Mabitex pants actually.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
Same here. I've found Joe's, True Religions, Diesels, 7s, etc to be overpriced quality-wise. I think you're paying more for name and marketing than you are for quality, with a few exceptions. I do love both pairs of R&R I have.

I don't mind paying, as long as its for quality, not gimmicks or marketing hype.

Our SW&D brethren would say that the brands listed above are typically not high-quality jeans. Maybe the equivalent of a Hugo Boss. IMO, anytime you start seeing ass stitching, you're buying hype.

I've enjoyed my last two jean purchases (RRL and Jean Shop) and felt that while not a great bargain, they have both been worth what I paid at retail. I would think that APC at ~150 represents a favorable quality/price ratio.

Simplicio

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe
Our SW&D brethren would say that the brands listed above are typically not high-quality jeans. Maybe the equivalent of a Hugo Boss. IMO, anytime you start seeing ass stitching, you're buying hype.

I've enjoyed my last two jean purchases (RRL and Jean Shop) and felt that while not a great bargain, they have both been worth what I paid at retail. I would think that APC at ~150 represents a favorable quality/price ratio.

I still find this thread a little amusing. I think that the SW&D understanding is that quality denim is to be contrasted not just with cheap denim but with the "douchebaggery" of overly patterned/stitched/pre-faded/distressed denim.

APC NS and RRL are solid choices. I also have two pairs of plain pocket Samurai raw jeans. The fabric feels and looks great, and the fit is about perfect. I did have to pay for them (around $300), but I consider this money well spent. I wear them all the time and expect them to last for years. So considering what I get from them, I think they are great value. Again, I recommend Blue in Green for these japanese brands.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BlueHorseShoe
IMO, anytime you start seeing ass stitching, you're buying hype.

That's a criteria I will use in the future
smile.gif

jamestct

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BeaconHillBoston
7 for mankind. Their standard fit is perfect for guys with a trim wasit and an athletic thigh. Love mine.

+1

They seem to fit around the waist much better than my Levi's and are certainly more comfortable, probably due to the small % of stretch material content.

sartorial_marxist

Reaction score
Borrelli, but Z's great too

Originally Posted by ALFAMALE
Z Zegna jeans are the ****.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
someone should forward this thread to levi's marketing department. jesus some of you guys buy into this 'heritage' stuff hook, line and sinker.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads