• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What boots should i buy?

Alex McDonald

Reaction score
Hi,

Firstly, I have never bought a pair of shoes costing more than $150 (except runners). In Australia, it is very rare to know much about shoe quality as a good pair of shoes is thought to come from Aquilla or Florsheim. After reading various blogs and forums (including this one) i know it to be true. So when we moved house I binned all my $60 lowes oxfords, and crappy shoes and only own about 3-4 shoes outside of sport and work (military shoes).

I am looking at buying a pair of new boots in the coming months and after much research I am thinking of buying Edward Green boots. The quesion I am asking is what type of boots should I be buying?

I want to buy a boot that I can wear with jeans, chinos, slacks and long shirt and a casual suit if that is possible... I really like the look of the Galway by EG in dark brown or mahogany. Am I looking at the right shoe and colour to match my expectations?

p.s I have done many search's and havent found the answer I am looking for.

Thanks in advance.

Lord Mulberry

Reaction score
I just googled the EG Galway boot to see what you're talking about. They look ok, but I'm not keen on dimpled leather myself. Personally I think Dr Martens take some beating on style, comfort and wear. A lot of people don't like Dr Martens but they are reasonably cheap and look good with almost everything.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just googled the EG Galway boot to see what you're talking about. They look ok, but I'm not keen on dimpled leather myself. Personally I think Dr Martens take some beating on style, comfort and wear. A lot of people don't like Dr Martens but they are reasonably cheap and look good with almost everything. 

Good Lord! This is the SF bad advice of the day! Do the opposite of whatever the berry tells you to do.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you get the two materials, i think they look stupid. If its all calf, then they are fine.

You realize, i hope, that these are $1,200 boots.

Seems kinda silly to go from $60 rubbish to $1,200 boots.

Why not make a stop at $335 boots from Allen Edmonds?

I think the Fifth street, bayfield, or daltons would be a much better choice.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is your budget and how many pairs or boots do you think you need in your rotation?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

if you get the two materials, i think they look stupid. If its all calf, then they are fine.
You realize, i hope, that these are $1,200 boots.
Seems kinda silly to go from $60 rubbish to $1,200 boots.
Why not make a stop at $335 boots from Allen Edmonds?
I think the Fifth street, bayfield, or daltons would be a much better choice.

Best advice so far.

jmills

Reaction score
For a member from Australia, UK stuff will be easier to size and source. But I agree with Quad, why would you fork out big $$$ on that boot and stretch it to cover denim, smart casual and suits? You could get easily get two or three nice pairs of shoes, e.g. a plain cap-toe, some brown semi-brogues or full brogues, suede or grain chukkas, and a penny loafer, especially if you are moving up from $60 shoes.

But if you have your heart set on those, I think they are a nice boot. Also remember you will get hit by the import duties if they don't come in under $1000 AUD (and the sender declares true value).

Last edited:

Alex McDonald

Reaction score
For a member from Australia, UK stuff will be easier to size and source. But I agree with Quad, why would you fork out big $$$ on that boot and stretch it to cover denim, smart casual and suits? You could get easily get two or three nice pairs of shoes, e.g. a plain cap-toe, some brown semi-brogues or full brogues, suede or grain chukkas, and a penny loafer, especially if you are moving up from $60 shoes.

But if you have your heart set on those, I think they are a nice boot. Also remember you will get hit by the import duties if they don't come in under $1000 AUD (and the sender declares true value).

I am currently living in the UK for about a year. I plan on buying 2 pairs while I am here. A pair of boots and oxfords. As I am likley to wear the boots a lot more often, I want to have a higher quality boot rather than a higher quality oxford.

I am going to the EG sale this Saturday and hopefully there will be boots in my foot size (9.5 UK). If this is poor, I will be waiting for the post xmas sale in London.

I was going to buy some C&Js, but looking at these boots, I think they look amazing. Just hope that I have thought it through before I spend.

Thanks

I wear military boots mon-fri, I only need shoes for the weekend + evenings.

Last edited:

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love EG boots and if you can find some on sale go for it!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads