• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What book for my desk at work?

Star

Reaction score
This question actually asks a broader question: “What should I put on my desk to grab the attention and impress my colleagues at work?”

In terms of current books I have the following leaning next to my pc monitor at work:

Atlas Shrugged by Ayan Rand – This shows my rebellious nature and values I live by. Has worked once or twice as conversational piece.

The Zurich Axioms – A book written by a Swiss banker that turns investing on its head. Cult reading for the non mainstream investment community. It caught the eye of a female colleague of mine on Friday only because ‘Zurich’ is very close to the spelling of my name and she was also having a 'blonde moment' at the time. (I was flattered that she was scanning my desk)

The Boston Consulting Group on Strategy – I only have this on my desk because I decided to read a chapter every once in a while for some insight. It has previously caught the eye of senior managers who walk by and I think it is a good symbol of what I aspire to in my career.

Ok so I am looking for one more book. Do not want to get anything cheesy but maybe something in the area of Art or History or Extreme Engineering. It would need to have a bold cover so it can be seen easily on my desk but can’t be a coffee table book either. Must have 'wow factor' and in particular with the ladies.

I have considered Mein Kampf, Communist Manifesto, Playboy: The Completed Centrefolds, The complete illustrated Kama Sutra and etc; however, each of them would be career limiting.

Suggestions?

I don’t care if some people think of me as a douche bag because there will be other who will not (which is the point of this exercise). I am not forcing people to look at my desk but if they do and something catches their eye then that’s a point for me.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Bell Curve

imschatz

Reaction score
Are you really trying to impress girls @ work using the books on your desk? Wouldn't candy be cheaper and more effective?

Star

Reaction score
Originally Posted by imschatz
Are you really trying to impress girls @ work using the books on your desk? Wouldn't candy be cheaper and more effective?

smile.gif
Ha. I want to impress everyone. Lets face it, unless you work for Google or in some creative field most workplaces are boring and sterile .... rows of desks are like chicken coops. People are also boring as f....k. I am an interesting guy but not very good as showing it so lets start with books
smile.gif

Yes candy is cheaper but it is also bad for your teeth.
smile.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
facepalm.gif

Seriously.
facepalm.gif

Big T

Reaction score
It had better be a book you have read and can discuss!

If not a book, maybe an item? If a woodworker, for example, maybe a Stanley #1 hand plane. If an American Civil War buff, maybe a bayonet? But as I have said, you had better know what it is. I've been in offices where books were displayed and the office occupant knew **** about the author or content. You don't want to be a poser do you?

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2872337791_00e045975c.jpg

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yeah, dude, place a copy of Mein Kampf on your desk at work. Let us know how that works out for ya.

kungapa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Star
Atlas Shrugged by Ayan Rand - This shows my rebellious nature and values I live by. Has worked once or twice as conversational piece.

I'd avoid Ayn Rand, since it is philosophy-light written like a teenage adventure book. Personally, if I saw Atlas Shrugged or Fountainhead on someone's desk I'd think them to be intellectual lightweights and/or fooled.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kungapa
I'd avoid Ayn Rand, since it is philosophy-light written like a teenage adventure book. Personally, if I saw Atlas Shrugged or Fountainhead on someone's desk I'd think them to be intellectual lightweights and/or fooled.
+1 million People who love Ayn Rand are either idiots or assholes, and usually both. Also, the very notion of placing books on one's desk to "impress people" is highly affected and bourgeois. The only books I keep lying around within arm's reach of my desk are references and other works that I need to consult on a frequent basis.

Milpool

Reaction score
I would recommend the following:

"CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics" (I think you can get bonus points if you have an older well used copy plus one of the newer ones)

"CRC Standard Mathematical Tables and Formulae"

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hooked on Phonics.

Also this;

Originally Posted by GQgeek
facepalm.gif

Seriously.
facepalm.gif

And if Geek can call you out on life choices...just give up.

Living.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the goal here is to attract the attentions of the fairer sex, might I suggest something with photographs cute kittens dressed up in outfits?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads