• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What body type looks best in a Neapolitan shoulders/jackets?

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would think the best would be a fairly athletic build with some shoulder development. I can't imagine a tall, skinny, lack of musculature would look as good in as a more defining structured suit. As a business suit also, which is where alot of us wear suits, does it convery an authortative, strong business look?
ReEdit--- Athletic does not mean ARNOLD, I consider Michael Jordon in his prime atheltic and muscular to a point. No exaggeratered frames. Just fit with some sublime muscularature.

--Just some random musings concerning this.

Some Basics which alot of us are somewhat famaliar

1. Pad less or in US brands-hybrids, lesser amounts than traditional fair

2. "'Waterfall' sleevehead.

3. Spalla camicia, or “shirt shoulder.”
(This style, while very beautiful and elegant, appears somewhat casual to me, great for oddjackets, but does it convey the serious overtones of business? If you are in shape?, if not? hmmm.) Very clean, sophisticated, and elegant though.

Share your thoughts...

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
FWIW, I don't think that guys with a lot of musculature look good in tailored clothing. That is one of teh reasons that the t-shirt and jeans look has accelerated at the same pace as the gym-guy look.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I'll have to agree. Plus, a lot of muscle just isn't attractive. Period.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
I'll have to agree. Plus, a lot of muscle just isn't attractive. Period.
Say the skinny guys
sarcasm.gif
I have a choice between being fat or being fairly muscular. Right now I'm somewhere in between.

Unless you're talking about chicks. Then I completely agree.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whoa,

When I'm talking muscular, I'm not talking Arnold here folks.

Athletic does not equal bodybuilder.
I consider Michael Jordan Athletic and muscular in a lean, fit way.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
FWIW, I don't think that guys with a lot of musculature look good in tailored clothing. That is one of teh reasons that the t-shirt and jeans look has accelerated at the same pace as the gym-guy look.
Short of a Mr. Universe-type physique, I don't think that's true at all. Even then, Arnold's managed to find a tailor that fits him well.

I don't think the Neapolitan silhouette is best suited for someone with a V-shaped torso. I think the more military-inspired British silhouettes suit a V-shaped body better.

dan

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

---Key point is "a lot". That's not why I really mean. Think naturally muscular, fit and athletic. Not Bodybuilder.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I tend to think that once you venture past what is great natural proportion (think Michaelangelo's David), you no longer have the chance to look elegant. For some reason, you can be fat and elegant or skinny and elegant.

Setting the line at David, you have a lot of room to be in very good shape before you cross over.

Personally, I think that a lot of short, slightly soft older men look smashing in Neapolitan suits. Look at Vittorio di Sica in "It started in Naples". You often read comments on this site about only certain body types being able to pull off certain looks. I think that is rubbish (unless you are into streetwear). The peope of Naples come in many different sizes, and the tailors there make them look great, or OK or terrible regardless of their size.

I don't think that the military cut looks good on anybody, but that is just my opinion.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tend to think that once you venture past what is great natural proportion (think Michaelangelo's David), you no longer have the chance to look elegant. For some reason, you can be fat and elegant or skinny and elegant.

Setting the line at David, you have a lot of room to be in very good shape before you cross over.

Personally, I think that a lot of short, slightly soft older men look smashing in Neapolitan suits. Look at Vittorio di Sica in "It started in Naples". You often read comments on this site about only certain body types being able to pull off certain looks. I think that is rubbish (unless you are into streetwear). The peope of Naples come in many different sizes, and the tailors there make them look great, or OK or terrible regardless of their size.

I don't think that the military cut looks good on anybody, but that is just my opinion.

Excellent point.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would agree edit to a point but I'd say you can be a bit more muscular than even david. And the majority of women prefer a look that is similar if not a tad more than below, David is also in a more natural postion, not flexing as we commonly see the idea of muscular men as Arnolds. I do venture into this by the luck of nature and hardwork. I will agree the Italians-Naples- (generalization, please take it with a grain of salt) have refined, not originated, an incrediblty elegant cut.

13znzi9.jpg

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tyson is a fairly musuclar guy at a fair height and he does look good to my eye in this:
13zom87.jpg

ollie

Reaction score
I still don´t see one sophs questions answered : is the neapolitan "shirt shoulder" to casual or informal for a suit that can be worn in the evening for a nice dinner or for more formal events?
I ask, because i plan to order a mtm Caruso suit in dark grey/charcoal which is supposed to be an all around suit. I really like the shirt shoulder but i am not sure of its versatiliy...

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I am not sure that anybody will care one way or the other about your sleevehead as far as your business or personal life goes.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a charter member of the tall, skinny, lack of musculature (especially in the shoulders) club, I agree with Soph that the Neapolitan silhouette looks best on certain physiques and mine is not one of them. Sure, Kiton jackets are supremely comfortable, but I much prefer a roped sleevehead a la Brioni to give my shoulders some structure.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A big man looking better with a suit, isn't this one Maton's examples of what fine tailoring can do no matter what one's size?

1409i68.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads