• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What blazer/sportscoat to match with dark pants?

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before I ask my question, 'll try and describe my situation so you guys can get a better feel of what I'm looking for:

The dress code at my workplace is pretty casual - dress shirts and dress pants. Only requirement is that the dress pants must be dark - black, charcoal, I might be able to get away with dark grey, but that's about it. I have to wear a suit to meet clients, so I try to keep a suit in a corner of my office in case of emergencies. Other than that, I don't wear a suit, nor a tie.

Except the airconditioning can get pretty cold, especially when it rains, so I'm looking for some sort of blazer/sportscoat that is versatile enough that I drape over the back of my chair and put it on when it gets cold. I'm not looking for any sort of overcoat as that would be overdoing it, but I'm thinking of something in a heavier wool that can keep me warm.

I know there's the whole no dark + dark thing, so I'm wondering what sort of colors/patterns can match well with dark pants? They're usually solid colors, with occasional pinstripes. Oh, and with whatever dress shirt I happen to be wearing that day.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about a medium grey or navy sportscoat? Either of these would work with charcoal or grey. If you're working in a casual office you might even be able to get away with a conservative grey tweed (glen plaid, prince of wales) with something like a blue overcheck. You're out of luck with the black trousers though...
eh.gif

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its tough. For some reason, dark odd jackets look good with light coloured pants, but the opposite doesn't work as well.

You can consider brighter colors such as green, light blue, tan/wheat, brown melange's, charcol (for days where you have to wear black pants) or even creams.

I'd suggest jackets that have some detail (e.g., windowpanes, checks, etc) so as to rise above the heavy neutral bottoms. If you go with plain fabric you may end up with the security or bathroom attendant look.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ever consider using the search function?

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aleksandr
Before I ask my question, 'll try and describe my situation so you guys can get a better feel of what I'm looking for: The dress code at my workplace is pretty casual - dress shirts and dress pants. Only requirement is that the dress pants must be dark - black, charcoal, I might be able to get away with dark grey, but that's about it.
If you get a vibrant shade of navy that looks very blue rather than blackish and it is not the darkest shade but still dark that can look alright with dark grey and charcoal pants.

overdog

Reaction score
Except the airconditioning can get pretty cold, especially when it rains, so I'm looking for some sort of blazer/sportscoat that is versatile enough that I drape over the back of my chair and put it on when it gets cold.
One might also suggest you hang your blazer on a hanger rather than on the back of your chair.

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.

This is the StyleFORUM, not StyleGOOGLE.

Before I ask my question, 'll try and describe my situation so you guys can get a better feel of what I'm looking for:

The dress code at my workplace is pretty casual - dress shirts and dress pants. Only requirement is that the dress pants must be dark - black, charcoal, I might be able to get away with dark grey, but that's about it. I have to wear a suit to meet clients, so I try to keep a suit in a corner of my office in case of emergencies. Other than that, I don't wear a suit, nor a tie.

Except the airconditioning can get pretty cold, especially when it rains, so I'm looking for some sort of blazer/sportscoat that is versatile enough that I drape over the back of my chair and put it on when it gets cold. I'm not looking for any sort of overcoat as that would be overdoing it, but I'm thinking of something in a heavier wool that can keep me warm.

I know there's the whole no dark + dark thing, so I'm wondering what sort of colors/patterns can match well with dark pants? They're usually solid colors, with occasional pinstripes. Oh, and with whatever dress shirt I happen to be wearing that day.

1. Odd pinstripe pants don't really go with anything.
2. Very light color (ivory/off-white/creamish blazer for me) works with solid dark color pants.
3. Have you experiment with earth-tone windowpane jackets or glen plaid jackets?
4. Don't hang your jacket at the back of your chair, its pretty bad...

Enfo

Reaction score
how about some light weight cashmere sweaters instead of a blazer?

or id go for a navy blazer.

JimInSoCalif

Reaction score
What kinda crazy dress code is it that requires black/dark grey trousers?

I would probably wear dark grey trousers and a black and white herringbone jacket. Or, you could make it simple and just wear a dark charcoal suit.

Black trousers or suits do not receive much love here nor at most clothing forums.

Cheers, Jim.

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
Actually, I have. I didn't manage to find that particular thread pointed out though, so thanks.
Originally Posted by overdog
One might also suggest you hang your blazer on a hanger rather than on the back of your chair.
I'm looking at something akin to a daily beater. It doesn't have to be expensive or anything, and I don't really want to have to deal with the hassle of hanging up and taking it down all the time.
Originally Posted by JimInSoCalif
What kinda crazy dress code is it that requires black/dark grey trousers? I would probably wear dark grey trousers and a black and white herringbone jacket. Or, you could make it simple and just wear a dark charcoal suit. Black trousers or suits do not receive much love here nor at most clothing forums. Cheers, Jim.
Not sure why the dress code is like that. It's a law firm, and in my country the dress code for appearing in court is strictly black suit with a white shirt and sober tie. Us corporate lawyers have it slightly better in that we have more freedom in the way we dress, but we can't stray very far from black. Thanks for the suggestions on herringbone / plaid / check. Will see if I can find something patterned. Not so keen on the sweaters though, they're a pain to put on and off.

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think the dark trousers would look great with the loafers i'm about to send your way
wink.gif

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
i think the dark trousers would look great with the loafers i'm about to send your way
wink.gif

I can't wait
smile.gif

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about navy pants - are you able to wear navy as well as charcoal and black trousers?

I like navy trousers, particularly if the fabric has a bit of visual interest to it.
You can team navy trousers with a brown jacket, black jacket, light grey jacket (again, a weave with a bit of interest is great, such as a nailhead or herringbone weave), or even a beige or cream jacket.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads