• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What attracts you to a cafe/bar.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I am working on a Business plan on a Cafe I would like to open. I already have a lot of ideas on what I want. It is going to be more of a cafe like you would see in France in that I would also be selling wine, beer(imports and Mircobrews), and possibly a few liquors. There will be breakfast items and simple foods.
My goal is to make it a nice hang out spot with tables that have chessboards, backgammon, checkers and similar games on them. I plan to have bookshelves with used books which people will have the option to buy. There will also be spot for live music.
I also want to get a feel of what others look for in this kind of place. What kinds of foods and drinks do you like? Are there certain looks that turn you away from a place? Stuff like that. I appreciate any comments.
biggrin.gif

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jokerman
So I am working on a Business plan on a Cafe I would like to open. I already have a lot of ideas on what I want. It is going to be more of a cafe like you would see in France in that I would also be selling wine, beer(imports and Mircobrews), and possibly a few liquors. There will be breakfast items and simple foods.
My goal is to make it a nice hang out spot with tables that have chessboards, backgammon, checkers and similar games on them. I plan to have bookshelves with used books which people will have the option to buy. There will also be spot for live music.
I also want to get a feel of what others look for in this kind of place. What kinds of foods and drinks do you like? Are there certain looks that turn you away from a place? Stuff like that. I appreciate any comments.
biggrin.gif

where is probably the first question I would ask.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I am leaning towards where I live right know which is Chapel Hill, NC.

Master Milano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me it would definitely be attractive decor, comfortable place to sit, and free wifi. Good coffee helps.

fleet on feet

Reaction score
What draws me in is the ambiance and seeing that the cafe is busy, I take high turnover rate as a sign of quality in most cases. What keeps me coming is good coffee/tea, and one item that is the best in town by far and sets your place apart (i.e. a variety of quiche or a sandwich ONLY served at your place). One deli that I frequent, the main reason I choose to eat there instead of elsewhere is a sandwich only served there that is absolutely perfect in my opinion.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
nice chairs. you gotta have nice, comfortable chairs.

Chico2007

Reaction score
Quality service is more important to me than anything else.

Syl

Reaction score
fresh sandwiches/pastries etc. I detest places that have stale or limp food.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
These answers are all ridiculous. Only 3 reasons anyone every goes to a cafe:

1)Location - its next to wherever you are and it looks halfway decent

2)Specials - 2 for 1 drinks? I'm there!

3)Hot women and men - As a wise entrepreneur once told me "Beautiful = Business"

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
read these http://eater.com/archives/2010/12/08...-damn-long.php http://eater.com/archives/2010/12/09...erfect-cup.php i'd like to see properly trained baristas. get a nice espresso machine, pour overs, french press, and then train your baristas how to use them correctly. roast your own beans or find ppl you trust to roast them. grind the beans the right size. time the brews. be conscious of temperature. get correct bloom for the pour overs. its the little things that count. try and educate the consumers on what good quality coffee is (but without overt pretentiousness). have weekly tastings. but have simple good quality drip coffee (no ****** acidic aftertaste) for ppl who could care less. sell small hand grinders, pourovers, and small bags of roasted beans. offer discount on ones that are 3+ weeks old. sell tea by the pot (use cozies) and have some nice stuff like FTGFOP grade or good aged pu erh. weekly tasting would be awesome. i think it also depends on your target consumer. if they're cheap college kids then simple food with affordable ingredients. if they're young professionals simple food with good quality ingredients (local or made on site). like 5, 6 ingredients per food item. if you're going to make a bar at least make sure the bartenders can make the classics well and understand mixology. you stir drinks that are clear, shake drinks that aren't (eg has fruit (like lemon) juice).

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheap drinks, next to other bars with cheap drinks, not full of ugly chavs. Pretty much the same as Rambo.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Comfortable seating is definitely something I am planning on. What I have in mind for the decor I feel will be pretty welcoming to all.

The area I am in is perfect for this kind of business in my opinion. There will definitely be competition but I feel what I would be offering will be more appealing then the others.

Fresh Sandwiches are one of the things I planned on offering. There are a few places in town that offer great fresh produce, meats, etc that I would use for such sandwiches.

As far as fresh pastries I would most definitely have although I havent decided if they would be made in house or if I would get them delivered early in the mornings from a local pastry shop which has phenomenal baked goods.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
read these

http://eater.com/archives/2010/12/08...-damn-long.php
http://eater.com/archives/2010/12/09...erfect-cup.php

i'd like to see properly trained baristas. get a nice espresso machine, pour overs, french press, and then train your baristas how to use them correctly. roast your own beans or find ppl you trust to roast them. grind the beans the right size. time the brews. be conscious of temperature. get correct bloom for the pour overs. its the little things that count. try and educate the consumers on what good quality coffee is (but without overt pretentiousness). have weekly tastings. but have simple good quality drip coffee (no ****** acidic aftertaste) for ppl who could care less. sell small hand grinders, pourovers, and small bags of roasted beans. offer discount on ones that are 3+ weeks old.

sell tea by the pot (use cozies) and have some nice stuff like FTGFOP grade or good aged pu erh. weekly tasting would be awesome.

i think it also depends on your target consumer. if they're cheap college kids then simple food with affordable ingredients. if they're young professionals simple food with good quality ingredients (local or made on site). like 5, 6 ingredients per food item.

if you're going to make a bar at least make sure the bartenders can make the classics well and understand mixology. you stir drinks that are clear, shake drinks that aren't (eg has fruit (like lemon) juice).

Very good tips thank you. I especially like the one about the tea. As far as the bar goes I want to try and keep the mixed drinks to a minimum. It seems that beer and wine are more popular in my location. Being OCD it is very important that things are done right so a good bartender along with all other employees is a must.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go around and test out different cafe's in your area, just to get a feel for what you like and don't like. Bring a notebook to write in, so you don't forget. Think about decor and ambiance. I think music is a big component to the ambiance, maybe have an ipod in the corner where anyone can choose the song/playlist they want to listen to. I think the number one reason are going to come to yours, instead of someone else's cafe, is because of the food/coffee. I really like the feel of this cafe in the State Farm commercial
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also daily specials that are written on a chalk board out front is nice too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads