• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What attracts you to a cafe/bar.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me it mainly comes down to price, quality and bartenders. I've never cared too much whether the place is thoughtfully designed - if I wanted all that I would just go to a upper end restaurant.

Why would adding mixed drinks be difficult? There are so many bartenders out there looking for work or a second gig.

A patio or sidewalk tables are also important to me since I smoke: I go to cafes to hang out, and therefore smoke.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biscotti
Why would adding mixed drinks be difficult? There are so many bartenders out there looking for work or a second gig.

Its not that adding mixed drinks will be difficult its just that people around here dont really seem to go for mixed drinks and when they do its always for the same select few which I would offer.

IsteRed

Reaction score
Dat waitress with huge boobs.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Smoking is pretty much banned everywhere, so that's not a surprise, but having a place where people can smoke (ie not the front or an unguarded back stoop where people can bail on their tabs when they've had a few beers and are done) is a boon, because you know well enough that cigarettes and coffee are as good a pair as a drink and a cigarette.

+1 to the general idea of having nice-looking help, be smooth about it and don't get sued for discrimination, and it also goes both ways - keep just as many good looking men on staff as women, if not more, at least for your evening shift. I'd go as far as to stalk the facebooks of potential hires if possible, make sure that they have tons of friends and a lot of social activity going on in their lives - that is obviously going to help business.

As far as food goes - if the location is that good you should rise to the occasion, really own something within the vicinity and become a landmark. I'm sure a lot of places have the regular soups, salads, sandwiches - you have those too, but what else? People in college towns are looking for filling and cheap without looking too cheap (what is cheap by non-fast food standards in America now? $15 with a soft drink, out the door?), sell them a lot of bread and cheap proteins. Get somebody to make you good bread, have it for your sandwiches, and then serve finger food plates like a charcuterie plate (with a little blob of pate or rillettes, salami, a cured ham like jamon or prosciutto, mortadella, etc) a cheese plate (at least 5 little bits) like you said, vegetables a la grecque like a pickle assortment you can make in-house, maybe combine all three for one smaller plate under ten bucks or something...
-you can have bagna cauda, etc, and get like those Le Creuset fondue sets and serve the veggies over ice, and the sauce over heat - double duty the fondue sets and have real fondue, or (more likely) dessert fondue as well. That kind of stuff where there's customer interaction with their food is 'fun' and if it's sweet, serves a niche.
Desserts are entirely uncatered to in America. Well, tons of stuff is, but desserts especially. Never met a woman who doesn't like looking at a fridge case of little fruit tarts or patisserie, so even if you're not getting people's business for dinner, perhaps you could try to get their business for after their dinner.

Be realistic and don't go by styleforum standards for any of this stuff, because none of your customers will - stay within a competitive range on food and drink pricing, and then just have a 'top shelf' menu on the side if you aspire to having the better things. Coffee and wi-fi is nice but you should change the mood of the place as the day goes on each day, from light coffee to lunch, to light afternoon/end of class relaxing, to early evening snacks/early drinkers, dinner/date/meetings, late night drinks, in order to keep people from staying too long and wasting your space.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
There are a few local cafes here that display local artists' works in their shop. An artist will get all the wall space for a month or so and then someone else comes in. The pieces are usually for sale. I really like the concept as the art serves as conversation pieces & it prevents the place from becoming too familiar.

this is an excellent idea. a few casual places around here do it and i really like it. you could probably charge commission and get free art work to hang up.

Originally Posted by Biscotti
For me it mainly comes down to price, quality and bartenders. I've never cared too much whether the place is thoughtfully designed - if I wanted all that I would just go to a upper end restaurant.

A patio or sidewalk tables are also important to me since I smoke: I go to cafes to hang out, and therefore smoke.

maybe you could do simple brunch type drinks like bloody marys, bellinis, and mimosas. any idiot could make those and not **** up.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the art is a great idea, and i wouldnt charge commission more as id put it on consignment like many galleries. shows youre helping the artists/community and only take a cut if it sells. this could also branch you into hosting art galleries at night which could also bring new people and business.

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

Reaction score
comfortable seats, someplace with nice music where i wouldn't mind chilling with my friends or a cute date.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally I was going to have live music but when sketching the layout there was no good place to a little stage. Although if I ever get a chance to get a group that I actually like I might bush some tables aside to make room for them to play. Other than that I would stick to an ipod and have a sheet where people can recommend music I should download.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quality mojitos (aka, no simple syrup or minted simple syrup) in the spring/summer and a place for me to smoke a cigar (outside is fine too). Quality tea and coffee, and a knowledgable staff alongside to guide customers along the way (a good range on prices is good too). Food you can outsource from the local places and market them also, if they put in a good word for you (maybe something in the store that says one can purchase and eat their goods in your cafÃ
00a9.png
). Also, having the option of selling french presses, tea pots & kettles, coffee grinders, etc. along with coffee beans and tea leaves might be good if you want to branch out after establishing yourself as a great cafe.

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have a night where you pull the tables and chairs off the floor for dance parties, you'd make bank. Although this may seem to clash with what you want, it is a possibility for a place to have an alter-ego. This is how most 'club' style parties are in my city: just at restaurants or ****-hole bars.

There used to be a decent cafe/bar in my city where this was done; however, due to some bullshit lease dispute, it closed.

It's all about hype.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very good coffee and tea service will be a must, as many here have said.

Hire attractive, very competent waitstaff. At least a few of them have to be very attractive twinks. You have no idea how many small establishment owners have told me that this is a massive money maker.

Have a small amount of menu items that can be executed consistently. The less choice at a cafe/bistro the better

Two things you should be known for so that white people will flock;

Hummus and bahn mi. Do those two things well and you'll have a good flow.

Monaco

Reaction score
For me personally, any place that is proud of their responsibility for providing quality ingredients and environmentalism. Get your products locally from quality farmers and brag the hell out of it. People like to have a place that they can walk into and order any item without feeling any sort of guilt, like they are making a difference by their standard choice.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What doesn't attract:
Lax service.

Lack of invasive and loud music. I don't give a **** about your hip music tastes.

No pushiness when ordering - "Do you want a muffin/whatever with that?" NO. If I wanted a ******* muffin, I would have ordered one. Admittedly this doesn't happen in Italian bars. Only when I visit the chains in UK or wherever.

Uncleared tables for more than 5' after they've been vacated.

Unclean toilets.

The attractions are:

Decent coffee
Comfy chairs
Wifi
Free daily papers
Interesting decor with decent, non-direct lighting.
Good choice of snacks and cakes.

and last but not least, a few attractive popsies waiting on.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NAMOR
I need good lighting. Plenty of natural lighting during the day and warm, ambient lighting in the evening. GREAT espresso would also be nice
drool.gif

This. lighting is a big deal. Great espresso in a commercial venue is very rare

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads