What artwork is on your walls?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by tyates, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Willsw

Willsw Senior member

Posting your own artwork: tacky. I usually have a few postcard-size prints, that's about it. Sometimes photos of people I was painting and never took down. And, JUST FOR STORAGE, a few of my own. Feel free to call me out as the hypocrite I am. Kai, though I don't usually like fantasy, your collection around the house seems more interesting than some other choices.

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

In Dictator Style, Peter York explores the fantasy art collection of Saddam Hussein.

3. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

I like Fantasy Art

4. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

I like Fantasy Art
    I think it's beautiful in books, but in person or on my walls, I'm not so sure. But, then again, we've talked before about my taste in minimalism... so obviously something with lots of complexity isn't going to thrill me. I'd prefer a twelve foot long painting with a single pencil line through the middle. [​IMG] I have a few Japanese ukiyo-e on my wall and some prints by Robert Motherwell, though most of the good ones are either still in storage or still in Japan (I'll see if I can find some pics). When I've got more time/space/money, some 60's Frank Stella and Donald Judd will also be on the list... Some post 1990 Jasper Johns would be my ultimate "Dream" artwork... but edition/prints run $30K or more, drawings close to a million, and paintings... fuggedaboutit ($4-5 million or more).

5. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I have a couple paintings the girlfriend painted. Also, a drawing a good friend in high school made me for graduation. I also have some stained glass work that I made.

I want some of GoSurface's stuff on my wall, but I ain't rich enough for that playa.

6. GoSurface

GoSurface Senior member

I have a couple paintings the girlfriend painted. Also, a drawing a good friend in high school made me for graduation. I also have some stained glass work that I made.

I want some of GoSurface's stuff on my wall, but I ain't rich enough for that playa.

This is true. [​IMG]

Also, I'm not very sophisticated, so tacky is a compliment.

7. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

I think it's beautiful in books, but in person or on my walls, I'm not so sure.

Yah...just collect Magic cards as mini-art instead.

I've started to wear my sexuality on my wall.

8. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Some post 1990 Jasper Johns would be my ultimate "Dream" artwork... but edition/prints run $30K or more, drawings close to a million, and paintings... fuggedaboutit ($4-5 million or more).
    My grandfather once passed on a large Johns flag because the dealer would not go down another $2500. A bit of a mistake, I would say.

9. eg1

eg1 Senior member

I think it's beautiful in books, but in person or on my walls, I'm not so sure.

But, then again, we've talked before about my taste in minimalism... so obviously something with lots of complexity isn't going to thrill me. I'd prefer a twelve foot long painting with a single pencil line through the middle. [​IMG]

I have a few Japanese ukiyo-e on my wall and some prints by Robert Motherwell, though most of the good ones are either still in storage or still in Japan (I'll see if I can find some pics).

When I've got more time/space/money, some 60's Frank Stella and Donald Judd will also be on the list...

Some post 1990 Jasper Johns would be my ultimate "Dream" artwork... but edition/prints run $30K or more, drawings close to a million, and paintings... fuggedaboutit ($4-5 million or more).

Then you might like Voice of Fire ... [​IMG]

As for our place, all the artwork is stuff from my wife's previous life. I have no clue what any of it is. I have a print of Alex Colville's Horse and Train that my brother bought for me, but it's still rolled up in a tube. You could say I am a philistine.

10. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

I saw this on Apartment Therapy:

[​IMG]

Rorschach ink blots! I was thinking of making my own and framing them. I think it would be a nice conversation piece. What do you guys think?

11. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

^Silly Reggs, hanging up your own artwork is tacky!
    You're not allowed to be proud of what you do.

12. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

What if I put it on my refrigerator?

13. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

What if I put it on my refrigerator?

UBER TACKY!!!

Unless your Mom comes over and hangs it up for you. Then it's cool.

14. Maharlika

Maharlika Senior member

I have an Alberto Giacometti on my wall and a Diego Giacometti sculpture.

15. kronik

kronik Senior member

I think the Rorschach blot idea is great - I may steal it for myself.

I currently only have one large print by a local photographer.