• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What articles of clothing do women find sexy?

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Women like men to wear clothes that fit both their body and the situation. They don't want you over- or under-dressed. They have no conception of how this is actually harder for us than them. An obvious brand or two doesn't hurt. They want no hint that we ever even have to think about getting dressed. It's supposed to be second nature and just happen. Talking about it = teh ****.

To speak to the OP's question:
Good shoes - especially suede.
Nicely fitted sweaters.
A well cut sportcoat - but blue and black not tweeds or horse blanket patterns.
Shirts that are well suited to your coloring and therefore make your face look its best.
Interesting, but not over the top, accessories like a nice vest or scarf.
Watches on bracelets. Only the more sophisticated appreciate a quality strap.

Ringo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
i've gotten alot of compliments on my Black label suit (navy pinstripes) from women in the mid 30's. Not because its black label, but because of the cut.

I think I agree with this. Although I have definitely noticed girls in my age group (mid 20's) complimenting pinstriped suits (even if the cut/fit of the suit wasn't great). It's as if pinstripes were some new fangled, high-end sophisticated style....

I've unfortunately also noticed preference of these same girls for squarish-toed shoes (think Aldo, Kenneth Cole). The fans of designer clothing will like Prada, Gucci, etc. styled shoes (and clothes in general). Few, if any, have shown knowledge of or appreciation of high-end clothing that's discussed on this forum. In fact, I will go ahead and say that most girls/women my age don't really care about quality. It's all about look and fit, and for some, about the label.

Oh, and for business casual type clothes, they definitely like plaids, herringbones, etc.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
A tweed suit with a nice rep tie and brown shoes (preferably english) would work wonders. I even wear that when bathing and don't see why you shouldn't dress exactly like me.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
i've gotten compliments on tweeds and herringbones.

From my experience, girls love tweed. They also love pinstripe suits. As i mentioned earlier, i get way more attention in a suit, but outstanding attention if in tweeds or pinstripe.

Limniscate

Reaction score
I got a lot of compliments on my velvet, CK sport coat the other day. I also get a lot of compliments any time I sport a suit, but I'm in Austin where hardly anyone wears a one.

flipster

Reaction score
I (late 20-ties) get most noticed by girls, when wearing diesel denims (low waist, straight cut), a plain white t-shirt, brown roper western boots, and a good fitting cashmere pullover combined with a brown leather messenger bag. During the week i'm wearing a suit, (nicely cut, decent tie, combined with C&J Hallams) and it seems I hardly get noticed.

PLaydice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think particular articles of clothes dont matter, I think females are attracted to different looks
and it depends how sharp you pull them off. For instance tough guy look = tattoos, tank tops, muscles, and piercings. Thug look = dickies/ white tees out west or bubble coats and fitted hats out east. Rockstar look= ripped clothes, chains tattoos, piercings and colored hair. These looks along with others put you in a certain group and any group usually has females. You attracting females has more to do with other things besides the clothes you wear.

Tough guy look= usually seen in boxing gyms or bars. Tough guy look works well for attracting blondes with big breasts but is very effective on regular gym women too. some women see the look and think "Meathead".

Thug look= Now seen on everybody everywhere as this is now the "pop" look. Urban fashion has spread like crazy and now you see people wearing coogi pants with eighty colors or trying to hybridize the look by crossing it with either preppie or rockstar look to keep with latest trends.
thug look attracts girls that like thugs obviously! Since thugs are popular now talking like you are from harlem, even if your white and in california, is how most people get down. Wearing this look either you are a real "thug" (i doubt it) Or you are trying to portray this look to be a swagger jacker to look hood and pull bitches.

Rockstar look=I use this as broad category for all people who dress according to what rock music they listen to( Punk rock/ heavy metal etc) Some rockstar people are posers trying to gain foothold into a scene so they can gain acceptance and get ass. Others are in a band and form the "rockstar elite" and do get acceptance and ass. This is why the posers copy their look to try and follow their sucess. Mostly the rockstar elite are the ones who get girls and ass but Rockers who stay in the scene long enough start making friends and gaining acceptance and eventually get some ass anyway at a party just because its a party.

So does anyone see what im getting at? You dress a certain way and it "categorizes" you for better or for worse. This isnt the largest deciding factor in getting ass. But how you dress affects what KIND of ass you are most frequent to attract.
So to keep it simple wearing a cardigan has a higher percentage of pulling a girl interested in the preppy look rather than THUG look.

babygreenspots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by PLaydice
I think particular articles of clothes dont matter, I think females are attracted to different looks
and it depends how sharp you pull them off. For instance tough guy look = tattoos, tank tops, muscles, and piercings. Thug look = dickies/ white tees out west or bubble coats and fitted hats out east. Rockstar look= ripped clothes, chains tattoos, piercings and colored hair. These looks along with others put you in a certain group and any group usually has females. You attracting females has more to do with other things besides the clothes you wear.

Tough guy look= usually seen in boxing gyms or bars. Tough guy look works well for attracting blondes with big breasts but is very effective on regular gym women too. some women see the look and think "Meathead".

Thug look= Now seen on everybody everywhere as this is now the "pop" look. Urban fashion has spread like crazy and now you see people wearing coogi pants with eighty colors or trying to hybridize the look by crossing it with either preppie or rockstar look to keep with latest trends.
thug look attracts girls that like thugs obviously! Since thugs are popular now talking like you are from harlem, even if your white and in california, is how most people get down. Wearing this look either you are a real "thug" (i doubt it) Or you are trying to portray this look to be a swagger jacker to look hood and pull bitches.

Rockstar look=I use this as broad category for all people who dress according to what rock music they listen to( Punk rock/ heavy metal etc) Some rockstar people are posers trying to gain foothold into a scene so they can gain acceptance and get ass. Others are in a band and form the "rockstar elite" and do get acceptance and ass. This is why the posers copy their look to try and follow their sucess. Mostly the rockstar elite are the ones who get girls and ass but Rockers who stay in the scene long enough start making friends and gaining acceptance and eventually get some ass anyway at a party just because its a party.

So does anyone see what im getting at? You dress a certain way and it "categorizes" you for better or for worse. This isnt the largest deciding factor in getting ass. But how you dress affects what KIND of ass you are most frequent to attract.
So to keep it simple wearing a cardigan has a higher percentage of pulling a girl interested in the preppy look rather than THUG look.

This is the best post yet on the subject. Obviously it depends on which group the girls you are interested in fall into. It is all about what group your look slots you into, rather than the individual pieces - as it should be. This styleforum look (waist-supression, traditional and expensive fabrics, and a tendency to overdress slightly) would be good for women who think of themselves as possessing refined taste and worldliness. It actually correlates pretty well to styles of women. Girls, or those interested in style, often think in terms of decades too. The women whose style seeks to evoke stars of the thirties, forties and fifties will probably like the styles we see on the "what are you wearing?" thread. I think that girls who view themselves as generally upwardly mobile and as "tasteful" (which is more and more) - taste is really big these days - would go for the forum's look also. At the same time, many women - even the more "tasteful" ones - often find fussiness in a man to be a turn-off.

Yes, there is also a class issue. What class is the girl from and which one does she hope to enter or is she trying to just stay where she is? Style is very aspirational. Clearly, a lot of girls that hope to enter that fabled world of taste and traditional will go for the look we see here.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely. Women will never admit it (do women ever admit anything???), but they always categorize pretty much everything they see, from the color if your couch to the tint on your car to the color of your shoes.

What about a well put-together (SF) look?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
Some women definitely like Brioni and Borrelli.
I'm betting 95% of men and 99% of women have never heard of these brands, let alone recognize them and have an opinion on them.

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
FWIW, the things I remember being complimented about by intelligent and elegant 23-30 y/o women:

- Alden shell cordo chukkas
- my grandfather's old burberry
- Grenson MP (Stuart's Choice) wholecuts in a dark tan color with great antiquing
- a Brioni 2-button medium/light grey glen check sportcoat
- the brown-with-blue-pinstripes Adrian Jules flannel suit I bought from VMan (BIG hit after I got it back from the tailor)
- Ferragamo Gee ankle boots in cherry
- an RLPL ribbed purple cashmere v-neck
- a 2-button wool/mohair Richard James Mayfair suit. (Cheap beater that works astoundingly well as a crumpet catcher, though it is not as comfortable as a better suit would be.)
- an RLPL camel cashmere scarf
- a Carroll & Co. leather flight jacket (which I suspect is the Aero M422A modified for C&C with olive drab rather than brown wool jersey bits, but it doesn't have any identifying marks to confirm that.)
- Edward Green Westminsters in dark oak
- red suede Adidas vintage Gazelles
- an olive drab 3-button Castangia cotton twill sportcoat
- a dark grey wool/cashmere Jil Sander coat with front toggle closures
- Zegna dove-grey wool pants

I'm sure other stuff as well, but that's what I remember.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads