• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your Top 3 Shoes you wear with Jeans & a Button-Up

Ahheck01

Reaction score
I've noticed those that post regularly in the Streetwear and Denim forum have remarkably different tastes than those that post regularly here, so I wanted to duplicate this thread in this forum to get a different perspective.

It may be less frequent that you do so here, but when you're wearing jeans and a button-up or polo shirt, what are the top three pairs of shoes that you own, in order of frequency, that you'll wear?

KingOfTheForum

Reaction score
In unranked order:

Steve Madden sporty-casual shoes- I'm not sure what they're actually called, but they're in between dress and gym shoes. I've got a variety of different colors, from black and grey to brown and tan.

Monkstaps- These are nice for going out on dates that don't call for a suit. Both suede and calfskin work

Dress boots- Leather is my choice

Ahheck01

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
do you button the shirt up or down?

My understanding was that saying "button-down shirt" meant a shirt with a button-down collar. Thus, if you say "button-up shirt", you refer to any shirt that has buttons up the front of the shirt. Correct me if I'm wrong.

-Evan

Ahheck01

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KingOfTheForum
In unranked order:

Steve Madden sporty-casual shoes- I'm not sure what they're actually called, but they're in between dress and gym shoes. I've got a variety of different colors, from black and grey to brown and tan.

Monkstaps- These are nice for going out on dates that don't call for a suit. Both suede and calfskin work

Dress boots- Leather is my choice

For the latter two, which do you own that you wear?

Thanks!

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I refuse to wear my pricey dress shoes out to the bars I go to because either I or some other drunk person will ruin them for sure. I guess my top 3 would be a pair of Clarks Desert boots, a pair of high-top CLAE sneakers, and lately I've been throwin in a pair of Alden Indy Boots into the mix

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Loafers. I have a pair of Ralph Lauren Horatio loafers that I really like wearing with OCBD and dark jeans

2. Chukkas. Anything not too dressy - so anywhere in the range of Alden to Loake would work well. I personally think C&J Tetburys are too dressy for a button up shirt and dark jeans, but I'm pretty sure others here would disagree.

3. Monkstraps if you're over 30 years old; sneakers if you're under 30. I've been eyeing Ralph Lauren monkstraps, as they're fairly affordable on the used market, but haven't seen any in my size. For sneakers, I would think someone in SW&D would have a good suggestion.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahheck01
My understanding was that saying "button-down shirt" meant a shirt with a button-down collar. Thus, if you say "button-up shirt", you refer to any shirt that has buttons up the front of the shirt. Correct me if I'm wrong. -Evan
Button down and button up are used interchangeably for a button front shirt. It's a button down collar or a button collar, but usually the collar bit will have the word "collar", and most people will associate the terms button up or button down with the button front. As to the topic, penny loafers, bucs, or plain toe monks, and in summer, leather sandals. If I had a pair, I would be tossing chelseas in the mix, probably bumping the monks off.

BeaconHillBoston

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ahheck01
I've noticed those that post regularly in the Streetwear and Denim forum have remarkably different tastes than those that post regularly here, so I wanted to duplicate this thread in this forum to get a different perspective.

It may be less frequent that you do so here, but when you're wearing jeans and a button-up or polo shirt, what are the top three pairs of shoes that you own, in order of frequency, that you'll wear?

Chukkas
Monk Straps
Penny Loafers - no socks

Jeans must be tailored to pull of with loafers, imo.

Imo, one of the best looks going is dark indigo denim with a pink or salmon slim fit button down sport shirt (sleeves rolled - top two buttons undone), a nice worn belt, and some awesome chukka boots.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have a pair of loake chocolate suede chukkas that i think go well with jeans and chinos

i personally think that alden suede unlined flexwelt chukkas look awesome with jeans

poissa

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cioni2k
I refuse to wear my pricey dress shoes out to the bars I go to because either I or some other drunk person will ruin them for sure. I guess my top 3 would be a pair of Clarks Desert boots, a pair of high-top CLAE sneakers, and lately I've been throwin in a pair of Alden Indy Boots into the mix

aren't pricey dress shoes supposed to be sturdy as a rock?

BeaconHillBoston

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Althis
i have a pair of loake chocolate suede chukkas that i think go well with jeans and chinos

i personally think that alden suede unlined flexwelt chukkas look awesome with jeans

worship.gif

Nothing better than a nice pair of chukkas w denim.

Rada

Reaction score
I do both SWD and what's acceptable here... chukkas or loafers but other days it'll be Palladiums, fresh chucks or sneakers

Some here pull it off well, but I usually feel 'dressing up' denim looks silly.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poissa
aren't pricey dress shoes supposed to be sturdy as a rock?

Meh, I guess, but spilled mixed drinks or a heel stepping on them and I'd be pretty pissed

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads