1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What are your thoughts on natural leather items (i.e. belts, wallets, etc.)?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by weatherguy, Feb 4, 2013.

1. weatherguy

weatherguy Member

What are your thoughts on natural leather items such as belts, wallets, watch straps, etc.?

2. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Stupid hipster trend.

1 person likes this.
  3. GBR

GBR Senior member

What do you wnat people to say?

More importantly what are yours? If you ask for opinions the least you should do is offer your own.

4. mafoofan

Man, this forum has really gone down the tubes.

1 person likes this.
  5. Mitchacho

Mitchacho Member

I keep seeing people post those sentiments; other than silly hipster trends like this making an appearance in the forums, what else would cause the quality of the forum to decline? What was it like in the "Golden Days" of SF? I haven't been lurking nearly long enough to know.

6. Apollotrader

Apollotrader Senior member

No, you have become senior. Learn the difference.

7. mafoofan

Participation appears to be way down, first of all.

Second, the subject matter has completely changed. Now, it's 90% retail and brand oriented. We are just a step or two away from being the GQ forum. Lots of questions about whether something is fashionable. Little to no experience left amongst active members with legitimate classic style or tailored clothing. Just neophytes mimicking Mad Men or Pitti. There are more discussions now about doing alterations to RTW than there are about bespoke tailors. That's telling.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  8. Mitchacho

Mitchacho Member

foo, that's a damn shame. I came from /r/malefashionadvice because they had nothing left to offer me when it comes to classic style, because it's all gothninja stuff and ridiculously fitting clothes.

I've recently started working at a men's boutique that specializes in high end custom clothing and I'm trying to soak up as much as possible here, but I've taken to searching the archives... I guess I can see where you're coming from when it comes to a decline in quality.

9. mafoofan

Yeah, it is indeed a shame. But there is good stuff in the archives.

Basically, for a host of reasons, the forum's veterans all departed en masse. Some come back every now and then, but we do not drive discussion like we used to. I stopped posting for a long time (a year?) and came back to find this. Blegh.

1 person likes this.
  10. Apollotrader

Apollotrader Senior member

It is the same as being in a house in college.

11. Mitchacho

Mitchacho Member

Where else on the internet would I be able to find something like the golden days of SF at this point in time?

Also, sorry to OP for derailing your thread.

12. mafoofan

It's really not. Up until a year or two ago, there was continuity. That is gone.

If you want focused discussion on bespoke clothing, go to the London Lounge. Slow forum, but high quality.

Also, look for blogs. Mine us paltry, but hopefully it will gin momentum as I rebuild its content.

13. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Senior member

It changed when B&S went from forum to marketplace.

14. mafoofan

Maybe that was the death knell, but the change has been going on since before that.

1 person likes this.
  15. The Thin Man

The Thin Man Senior member

Blogs are an awful substitute for a forum. There is no discussion and a good discussion on here three years ago would generate more interesting content than a month of good blog postings do.

16. mafoofan

I agree. But that is where the discussion has moved, even if not beneficially held there.

Feel free to comment--I swear I'll respond. Then we'll have a conversation.

17. comrade

comrade Senior member

Or summer camp- "last year the counselors were great, the food was delicious, and it didn't rain"

18. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Senior member

That's because things are always changing. Members come and go, topics change with the current trends, and icons shift from who was to who is. This is the nature of everything and instead of cursing it, you of all people, should appreciate your role here. Despite your curt style of communication, many people have learned from your posts and examples.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  19. mafoofan

Yes and no. Things do evolve, but there was a strong core of members for a long time. Many were given "DH" powers specifically to keep them around, but it didn't work. Today's SF is a distinctly shallower place.

Ah, you see, I often forget that when I post here, I'm now speaking to a crowd that is 90+% new.

20. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Senior member

Look, I completely understand your point...and I agree with you regarding the shift in depth here. I have learned so much about men's clothing, style icons, guidelines for what makes an outfit go from good to great. Hell, just learning all the different patterns is something I had to go through. Without all of the people are you referring to, it would have a much longer process than it was because of all the great discussions and effort you guys put in. But I will say this, there will be a different group of people who learned from you guys who will pass as much of that information along as possible. There will never be another Vox, but somebody will come along an fill that role. Right now, that role is filled by you...for as long as you decide to wear the mantle, that vintage, herringbone overcoat of a mantle.