Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What Are Your Thoughts on Flat Front Dress Pants?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by alebrady, Jun 18, 2009.

1. superfans124

superfans124 Senior member

Beijing -> D.C. -> HK -> Beijing -> now where?
    depends on the body type, flat fronts make skinny thighs appear fuller, whereas pleats causes distraction away from full-width legs, it's about visual balance.

2. overdog

overdog Senior member

Flat fronts are great if you're in good shape.
    I think people with athletic builds look more balanced in pleated. Skinny people look better in flat fronts.

3. blackbowtie

blackbowtie Senior member

I think people with athletic builds look more balanced in pleated. Skinny people look better in flat fronts.

I'm wondering: since the suit coat covers most of the front part of the pants where the pleats would (or would not) be, does the choice of flat fronts or pleated matter so much if the trousers are part of a suit?

4. overdog

overdog Senior member

I'm wondering: since the suit coat covers most of the front part of the pants where the pleats would (or would not) be, does the choice of flat fronts or pleated matter so much if the trousers are part of a suit?

People can still see your pants when your jacket is unbuttoned or off.

5. blackbowtie

blackbowtie Senior member

People can still see your pants when your jacket is unbuttoned or off.

But if you follow the old rules (i.e. only unbutton your jacket when sitting down AND never take off your jacket while in company), this would not be a problem, would it?

I'm beginning to suspect that pleats or no pleats, depending on your physique, might just be a matter of comfort.

6. phillyesq

phillyesq Senior member

I wear both flat fronts and pleated pants. I'm wearing flat fronts right now, and I do enjoy the cleaner look. My suit pants are all pleated, but I enjoy flat front trousers.

7. overdog

overdog Senior member

But if you follow the old rules (i.e. only unbutton your jacket when sitting down AND never take off your jacket while in company), this would not be a problem, would it?

Don't underestimate the number of females (and males) that check out one's package as one sits down.

8. gumercindo

gumercindo Senior member

Flat fronts are soo boring but they are trendy right now, even so I am keeping my pleated pants.
    Both are always going to be acceptable anyway so enjoy both. thats my opinion anyway.
    to me flat fronts will look dated faster than any pleated pants will. even just one pleat is cool.

No idea why you think that. I think the opposite - JMO.

Among my male friends within my age group (late 20s) though, pleated pants are often seen as representing the old and fuddy duddy look, whereas flat fronts are seen as the more "youthful" look. But maybe we all will learn when we are past 30 [​IMG]

This isnt true. Flat front pants actually predate pleated pants, the only problem is all those people are dead and there are few photos to support it.

I took my flat front cue from my Grandfather. He was born in the early 1900s in Cuba. He always was sharply dressed and always wore uncuffed and mostly flat front pants. So, I go flat/uncuffed all the time. But, I am slim so flat is best for me. I personally think pleats are not versatile enough. Flat fronts can be dressed up or down.

9. fuji

fuji Senior member

I can't wear pleats. The excess fabric makes my waist look as big as my chest. If you are slim flat front looks much better.

10. Toorman

Toorman Senior member

+1

My tailor talked me into a single pleat (as a compromise ) on my last suit and I don't care for it. He said he would remove it free of charge and, while I have yet to take him up on it I soon will. Being in shape - everything fits nice and clean until you get to the pleat which puffs out and ruins the line. But, for as much as I recommend flat front for skinny/athletic types, I don't think they work for heavier people. Perhaps that is why you can find both styles side by side.

11. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

I wear plain fronts on odd trousers and mostly with a western/horizontal pocket but I can't get myself to wear plain fronts with a suit. Plain front look like work pants or jeans and lack the elegance of a well fitted pleat. But then most RTW pleated trousers are not cut well as they usually bow out on the hip and look like jodhpurs or the pleats pull open rather than lay smoothly.
    Plain fronts with on seam or quarter top pockets are rarely flattering on any build as the pockets tend to bow out. I think they are preferred by some because they generally have a lower rise and fit like jeans. The slight expansion of the pleat is more comfortable when sitting, moving etc.

12. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

All my pants are flat fronts.

13. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

I will never wear a pair of pants with pleats unless it is with a suit, and then I don't take the jacket off. I really don't care for them anymore. I go flat and uncuffed exclusively for odd "trousers". I also can't seem to grasp why so many of you are all about these monster cuffs and are even cuffing jeans again. I cuffed my jeans in the '80s when I was trying for a '50s greaser aesthetic. But, I am not feeling it these days.

Oh well,

Mike

14. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

Flat fronts are soo boring but they are trendy right now, even so I am keeping my pleated pants.
    Both are always going to be acceptable anyway so enjoy both. thats my opinion anyway.
    to me flat fronts will look dated faster than any pleated pants will. even just one pleat is cool.

Did you really just fucking say that flat front pants are "trendy"?

What are we going to call trendy next? Shoes?

15. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

Pleated pants never fit me right, and are far uglier in my opinion.

Once I learned why I hated my suit trousers, I vowed to never buy a pair of pleated pants again.

Then again, I'm only 22 and in shape. Who knows what my tastes and body shape will be in 15 years.