• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your thoughts on Burberry?

fain

Reaction score
I was talking to a few female fashion snobs recently about how I like some Burberry stuff I saw on a website, and they looked at me as if I had admitted to hating jews, blacks, chinese, hispanics and puppies

Has Burberry become a cliche? Passe? Boring? Overdone? That's sure what they said.

But I'm not a girl, and I don't really care for the latest trends on a runway. I don't see it, and I don't care. But I've been thinking about it on and off, and I can't help but remain a tad confused.

Has a simple long black coat and a plaid scarf, which I imagine is the bread and butter of Burberry, become... passe?

I sure as **** don't enjoy a LOT of their stuff (I can't think of one designer or company in which I can say I like the majority of a line), but I still can't help but think that brushing off Burberry is a bit of a stretch.

Am I missing something? Did Burberry totally fall out of favour?

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burberry just sucks quality-wise. I have been foolish enough to buy more than one shirt from them for $50+ at outlet stores, so shame on me. Their shirts are crap. While they may "look" nice, the fabric is garbage, the buttons break and you can always count on at least one falling off, and finally there are just loose threads everywhere after just one washing. It is actually pretty ridiculous. If you're thinking about buying a Burberry shirt, just don't.

But this is from a man's perspective (heavily influenced by SF). I have no idea why chicks would think that. I know a lot of girls who are a little fashion snobbish, and love Burberry, but that may be because that is the "top-of-the-line" to them (or that they can reasonably afford).

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are still something by Burberry that's nice. A classic Burberry trench coat is one. A simple cashmere scarf in the iconic Burberry check is another.

Unless the "female fashion snobs" are hot they are usually not worthy of my time.

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't Burberry figure centrally into the latest expression of British class resentment? I thought it was associated with "chav" presumption in wearing Burberry's "street line" or similar knockoffs, and Burberry's role in courting that market.

It's probably something like what A&F has been going through, only Burberry has, I believe, a longer history of clothing the "respectable classes".

Mathew J

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cheessus
Burberry just sucks quality-wise. I have been foolish enough to buy more than one shirt from them for $50+ at outlet stores, so shame on me. Their shirts are crap. While they may "look" nice, the fabric is garbage, the buttons break and you can always count on at least one falling off, and finally there are just loose threads everywhere after just one washing. It is actually pretty ridiculous. If you're thinking about buying a Burberry shirt, just don't.

But this is from a man's perspective (heavily influenced by SF). I have no idea why chicks would think that. I know a lot of girls who are a little fashion snobbish, and love Burberry, but that may be because that is the "top-of-the-line" to them (or that they can reasonably afford).

They just opened a new Burberry retail outlet near my house and honestly I have yet to bother going in...the stuff just seems overpriced for less than great quality. I remember reading someone said the quality of their umbrellas went considerably down hill while price went up. My thought is why bother shopping there when there are other places.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was in one of their shops recently and saw a few nice items. However, there were a lot of large exterior lBurberry abels that I don't like on clothing. I'm not a fan of the visible Burberry check, either.

mljones99

Reaction score
I have a MTM Burberry suit that I had done several years ago and I really enjoy it. I wouldnt buy another now that I get my suits and shirts made at Billy Reid but I am happy with it.

FELT

Reaction score
Quality varies across the range. Some of the upper end stuff I've tried on has been really nice - suits and jackets made by Belvest, I think, and canvassed and really soft.

I guess amongst the fashionistas the image has got tarnished because of the chav-associations of the trademark Burberry check.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
I own a trench coat made by them, I like it. Nothing else they make ever appealed to me.

smoothie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Irond Will
Doesn't Burberry figure centrally into the latest expression of British class resentment? I thought it was associated with "chav" presumption in wearing Burberry's "street line" or similar knockoffs, and Burberry's role in courting that market.

It's probably something like what A&F has been going through, only Burberry has, I believe, a longer history of clothing the "respectable classes".

You live in America, what do you care about chavs?

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a Navy Burberry suit. I could post pics if anyone is really interested.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burberry just sucks quality-wise. I have been foolish enough to buy more than one shirt from them for $50+ at outlet stores, so shame on me. Their shirts are crap.
You do realize the clothes they sell at the outlet stores are usually different from what they sell in their regular stores, right? Most of it is actually a lower quality line specifically produced for people who want the look on the cheap at outlets. I brought a tie from an outlet in their classic check which was pure garbage, it couldn't even form a proper knot so I threw it away. I ended up buying another identical looking one from at full price from a retailer, and the quality was infinitely better, and would probably rank as one of the best made ties that I own. That said, their current range of shirts are pretty dissapointing in terms of quality. I purchased a dress shirt from them several years ago, and the quality of that was nothing short of excellent. Split yoke construction, single needle tailoring, very thick mother of pearl buttons, and a fabric that held up very well after multiple washes. Unfortunately I took it to a tailor to get it tapered, and he went a bit too far with it, rendering it unwearable. Since then I haven't seen another Burberry shirt of that quality.
frown.gif
I believe their North American suits are made by HSM. I believe HSM has a good reputation around on these forums for the price, although I've never actually seen one in person. No idea who makes their suits in other countries. I've had winter jackets and spring jackets from Burberry that have held up pretty well over the last few years, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy those items from them again. --- Back to the OP, it's hard to tell why these girls don't like Burberry unless they're super snobbish, even to other female clothes snobs, or they're in the UK. The burberry check all over looks silly, but I still like the look of a classic glen-plaid tie or sport shirt.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Obama wore Burberry RTW as his workhorse suits during the campaign.

Mathew J

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
I believe their North American suits are made by HSM. I believe HSM has a good reputation around on these forums for the price, although I've never actually seen one in person. No idea who makes their suits in other countries.

If this is the case, why not skip the middle man and go straight to HSM?

Azure

Reaction score

Sorry to say friend, I didn´t know burberry before just for the name.. I saw this week some shirts from them and actually their fabrics were impressive; in the same fabric it had herringbone,jacquard etc.

I didn´t buy them ?cause the collar was cutaway. They are priced 180 euros ( armani collezione 160) .

I have never seen such those fabric desings and I use to wear Cornliani and MTM italian shirts so I know what I´m saying. Perhaps you have seen an inferior line...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads