• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your thoughts on Burberry?

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by suited
I have a Navy Burberry suit. I could post pics if anyone is really interested.

Are you planning on attacking everyone who makes legit comments like you did with the express dinner jacket.

If your planning on doing that, dont waste your time.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Are you planning on attacking everyone who makes legit comments like you did with the express dinner jacket. If your planning on doing that, dont waste your time.
I wouldn't attack anyone who made a legit comment. I got that jacket dirt cheap, therefore there's not really anything negative you could say about it, considering how well it fit me. Dirt cheap jacket that fits well and looks good on me, sounds like a deal to me. The Burberry Suit was my first suit purchase, long before I found this forum-so I could care less what people have to say about that particular suit.

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by smoothie
You live in America, what do you care about chavs?

Oh I don't. The British class thing is kind of lost on me. But I suspect that some of the contempt for the brand as expressed in the OP by the very fashionable ladies made its way here from across the Atlantic.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mathew J
If this is the case, why not skip the middle man and go straight to (insert the actual suit manufacturer here)?
This statement applies to 70% of all RTW suit brands. Most companies don't make their own suits and contract it out to someone else. They might do different cuts styles and fabrics for Burberry than their HSM line, but again I've never seen an actual HSM suit, and I've seen only 1 burberry suit in North America.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here we go. Jacket is 3/4 canvassed...
004.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here we go. Jacket is 3/4 canvassed...

What is 3/4 canvassed? Is it more expensive than half-canvassed?

manouche

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fain
I was talking to a few female fashion snobs recently about how I like some Burberry stuff I saw on a website, and they looked at me as if I had admitted to hating jews, blacks, chinese, hispanics and puppies

Has Burberry become a cliche? Passe? Boring? Overdone? That's sure what they said.

But I'm not a girl, and I don't really care for the latest trends on a runway. I don't see it, and I don't care. But I've been thinking about it on and off, and I can't help but remain a tad confused.

Has a simple long black coat and a plaid scarf, which I imagine is the bread and butter of Burberry, become... passe?

I sure as **** don't enjoy a LOT of their stuff (I can't think of one designer or company in which I can say I like the majority of a line), but I still can't help but think that brushing off Burberry is a bit of a stretch.

Am I missing something? Did Burberry totally fall out of favour?

It is for CHAVS + the quality is low for the price

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i bought an umbrella from one of their stores, at the time i was living in fl and walking to work downtown every day, and it rained nearly every afternoon so a decent unbrella made sense. also, it was black with gray tone plaid inside and complemented my numerous gray suits well. anyway, it held up fine until i took it out in august when the wind was just picking up from an approaching hurricane. i had an errand to run so i took it out, and it held up fine in the wind. i went inside and shook it off and twisted it as i always have to knock off the excess water. well, when i walked back outside and opened it, 5 of the hinges at the point had snapped. they were just this plastic and the very minimal shaking had broken 5 of them. fortunately i was able to bring it back and exchange it for the same model, but i was pretty disappointed that a $200+ umbrella had broken so easily. i would not buy anything from them other than a trench at this point...

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
What is 3/4 canvassed? Is it more expensive than half-canvassed?

Oh yea, it's at least another $1250-2k, easily. The 3rd layer runs down to the lower pockets, so calling it half-canvassed wouldn't make much sense, would it?

Felix Krull

Reaction score
It's interesting how hip-hop culture was very influential in resurrecting the Burberry brand, which was formerly the domain of drab, old men with little style willing to overpay for a historic name. When Jay-Z and his ilk became the nouveau riche and "discovered" Burberry as a high-end luxury clothing maker they instantly took to it in order to elevate their class status which had the reciprocal effect of making Burberry far more marketable to a much broader audience.

I can think of no other brand, with the possible exception of Cristal champagne, formerly relegated to the thinning ranks of old money, that received a greater boost from 90s hip-hop.

Irond Will

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Felix Krull
I can think of no other brand, with the possible exception of Cristal champagne, formerly relegated to the thinning ranks of old money, that received a greater boost from 90s hip-hop.

Abercrombie and Fitch is one. Timberland did as well, though their previous target demographic wasn't the idle wealthy but the outdoors type.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Felix Krull

Originally Posted by Irond Will
Abercrombie and Fitch is one.

What rapper wears A&F??? Courvoisier was on the verge of bankruptcy until the music video "Pass the Courvoisier" with P. Diddy, Busta Rhymes, and Pharrell came out and single handedly revived their sales.

Felix Krull

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FidelCashflow
What rapper wears A&F??? Courvoisier was on the verge of bankruptcy until the music video "Pass the Courvoisier" with P. Diddy, Busta Rhymes, and Pharrell came out and single handedly revived their sales.

Excellent point, Fidel. I had forgotten of that one, but you are quite correct. It thus buttresses my argument quite well that Burberry would have likely faded away into obscurity had it not been for the promotion it received from hip hop.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wouldn't attack anyone who made a legit comment. I got that jacket dirt cheap, therefore there's not really anything negative you could say about it, considering how well it fit me. Dirt cheap jacket that fits well and looks good on me, sounds like a deal to me.

The Burberry Suit was my first suit purchase, long before I found this forum-so I could care less what people have to say about that particular suit.

i did, but your ever so touchy you took offense to a comment that wasnt in the least bit meant to offend, i was actually giving you props on wearing something different.

Are you one of those people who just likes to be offended?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads