• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your favorite handmade tie companies?

usmanc

Reaction score
Looking to build a nice tie rotation for work. I appreciate quality products and would like to learn more about tie-makers that I am unfamiliar with. Currently, I own Hermes and Canali ties. I have recently learned that E.G. Cappelli is a great tie-maker and will look more into those. What are your favorites?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can find Drake's on sale, that's a great value.

I know Sam Hober is mentioned here a lot, though I don't have any first hand experience with the brand.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drakes are very nice, but imo have been declining in quality for a few years.

Shibumi Firenze - @Braddock - is fantastic and an SF affiliate. Really amazing selection. Custom offerings. Beautiful patterns. Good price.

vida

Reaction score
Drakes are very nice, but imo have been declining in quality for a few years.

Shibumi Firenze - @Braddock - is fantastic and an SF affiliate. Really amazing selection. Custom offerings. Beautiful patterns. Good price.
How do you think Drakes are declining? In what way?

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you think Drakes are declining? In what way?

Couple things.
1) this is not really quality and doesnr apply as much to the ties but will get out of the way. They have been pushing hard into streetwear to the point where I think the CM is suffering. Their focus is clearly streetwear on IG and marketing.
2) in the last 3 years I've ordered a number of Drakes ties that have had issues. Pattern not printed straight (this got resolved by Mr Porter with a replacement). Keeper loop came loose on second wear. Multiple pulls in multiple ties with few wears (not a problem I normally have).

None of my older Drakes ties have any problems.

Maybe it's a QC issue, maybe I have bad luck. I've hear other people complain about them in the last year or so.

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love my E. marinella ties. Also own and like Drakes, Kiton, Tie your Tie, Sam Hober.

mbdakin

Reaction score
Chipp makes some quality, classic grenadines, knits, and madders. Good price point too.

Others: Tie Your Tie Florence, Charvet, R. Hanauer. I see a lot of nice things from Passagio Cravate but never owned one so I can't vouch for them.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chipp makes some quality, classic grenadines, knits, and madders. Good price point too.

Others: Tie Your Tie Florence, Charvet, R. Hanauer. I see a lot of nice things from Passagio Cravate but never owned one so I can't vouch for them.

Charvet ties are excellent quality, though often times extremely bright and somewhat flashy.

Hilariously if you go to the Paris store, they have bright, flashy, "trendy" ties up from and more "classic" patterns farther back in the store. These classic patterns are .... better lol.

ovlov

Reaction score

Don't bother with Passaggio Cravatte. They used to be an affiliate here and had to go into hiding after half of SF got the pitchforks out. Terrible QC, customer service ceases as soon as your payment clears. I think I ended up waiting something like 9 months for my last order to be deliver and when it finally came it was in the wrong dimensions and one was wrong fabric!

Imho my personal favourite at Vanda, EG Cappelli, and E Marinella. I don't own any Sam Hober ties but I ordered some for my groomsmen and they came out really nicely. I don't know how they've held up over time though.

bc78

Reaction score
Hober is my personal favorite. Aklasu hasn't been mentioned and is good value for the money. Chipp. Drake's is a bit pricier, so I usually only get them on ebay or on sale

Panama

Reaction score
I just bought a Knitted Black silk tie by John Henric, very similar to the Turnbull and Asser James Bond From Russia with love tie. The John Henric tie is made in Italy by Elves.

shabbaranks

Reaction score
Looking to build a nice tie rotation for work. I appreciate quality products and would like to learn more about tie-makers that I am unfamiliar with. Currently, I own Hermes and Canali ties. I have recently learned that E.G. Cappelli is a great tie-maker and will look more into those. What are your favorites?
My favourite tie makers are: Shibuni and ExquisiteTrimmings .I recently bought a couple of ties from Biagio Santo and I was very surprised by the quality, the attention to detail and customer care(they gave me a pocket square as free gift).

loarbmhs

Reaction score
Sam Hober and Drake's. Both great, with Drake's much more expensive and narrower range of fabric options.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads