• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your Bespoke Shoe Experiences?

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Seems like we have a lot of high end shoe lovers so I got to wondering...

What shoes did you have made?

How did you find the experience?

Was it difficult to wait for them to be made?

I had some black Norwegians made by James Amesbury in London two years ago and I have one pair to be ordered soon. I found the whole experience enjoyable and hanging out with Jason and having a pint was fun. Got to meet Timothy Everest also. Nice people all around.

Stax

Reaction score
huge fan, but I don't own any.
frown.gif

Georges5

Reaction score
.....Just the best with a little immediat confort .....you need to work some days before you feel very easy on a bespoke pair of shoes.

jmath

Reaction score
I was measured by Mr. Glasgow for my first bespoke shoe this past March when he came to DC. I am waiting for the first fitting, which I'm guessing will be sometime in September or October when he returns. I am dying to see how the shoe will look like, however I am also a little apprehensive since I'm hoping that no severe modifications will be necessary. I believe that Cleverley makes a shoe that is snug in the toe area while I prefer a shoe in which I can comfortably wiggle my toes.

BTW, I ordered a short wing monk in a dark brown calf, with brogueing along the toe cap, classic cleverley chisel toe, and a fiddled waist.

jmath

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am waiting on my first pair from Janne Melkersson. Meeting with him and hashing out all the details of a bespoke shoe was a truly edifying and enjoyable experience. My experience, not only with Janne but also conversations with other shoemakers, is that it's more fun than bespeaking a suit. That, too, is very satisfying, but has never made me almost gleeful and feel richer for the experience. Indeed, I often feel quite a bit poorer!

I do hope to commission something from Tony Gaziano next and possibly from one of the Parisien makers the next time I get over there. Jun Kunawa's work looks incredible but what a hassle. The biggest problem, however, is deciding what I want.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I was measured by Mr. Glasgow for my first bespoke shoe this past March when he came to DC. I am waiting for the first fitting, which I'm guessing will be sometime in September or October when he returns.
Cleverly are some of my favorite shoes. I plan to experience that soon. Congratulations!

I do hope to commission something from Tony Gaziano next
Does Tony have a web site?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
Jun Kunawa's work looks incredible but what a hassle.
Kuwana is a collector/client who posts pics of his massive collection, not a maker. Perhaps you are thinking of Koji Suzuki?

I have bespoke shoes from Cleverley, Green and Lobb Paris. They all have their relative strengths and weaknesses. The Lobb Paris shoes are the best, and at that price, they should be.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
One of the great things about bespoke is the way you design your own shoes. I really like picking out the leather at a good maker and adding in some design touches where possible. It creates a quite individual shoe.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Kuwana is a collector/client who posts pics of his massive collection, not a maker. Perhaps you are thinking of Koji Suzuki?

I have bespoke shoes from Cleverley, Green and Lobb Paris. They all have their relative strengths and weaknesses. The Lobb Paris shoes are the best, and at that price, they should be.

My mistake, Koji Suzuki it is.

kitonbrioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've not found the need for bespoke shoes/boots. I'm able to find the fit and styles I like rtw. Some--the shoe cognoscenti--have noted that the bespoke shoe as a rule makes ones feet appear smaller. However, my giant feet are just big and that's that. Plus, my shoes wear so quickly that paying bespoke prices seems a bit much when I avoid wearing the same shoe/boot more than every two to three months--otherwise, wear out too quickly, including the insides.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have two pair of bespoke vass ankle boots in black cordovan. one is budapest style, the other is a medalian toe. plan on getting a whole cut and an austerity brogue in the next year or two, and then I will get rid of the rest of my shoes and go to an all bespoke shoe wardrobe.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Heh I just noticed Maxim mentioned Lobb bespoke shoes in their latest issue, and also recommended Aldo and Kenneth Cole on the same page.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kitonbrioni
I've not found the need for bespoke shoes/boots. I'm able to find the fit and styles I like rtw. Some--the shoe cognoscenti--have noted that the bespoke shoe as a rule makes ones feet appear smaller. However, my giant feet are just big and that's that. Plus, my shoes wear so quickly that paying bespoke prices seems a bit much when I avoid wearing the same shoe/boot more than every two to three months--otherwise, wear out too quickly, including the insides.
It could be the quality of RTW shoe you're wearing -- I rotate shoes and wear each pair generally within a two week period and haven't had wear problems at all. Bespoke shoes also needn't make your feet look smaller -- a lot will depend on the toe shape you want.

Granted, quality shoes in the leathers you appear to prefer -- alligators, lizards, ostrich et al -- are likely to be very, very expensive, and such leathers themselves may be more delicate than a good calfskin.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics