• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your 10 favorite cities in the world?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, I did like Georges quite a bit, I was quite fond of the venue and the food, and their wine list was rather impressive as well. The view was probably the best part though. I also agree about the waitresses.

(shh, don't let ernest hear us saying good things about the French.)

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I did like Georges quite a bit, I was quite fond of the venue and the food, and their wine list was rather impressive as well.  The view was probably the best part though.  I also agree about the waitresses.  

(shh, don't let ernest hear us saying good things about the French.)
I love France. Too bad it is inhabited by the French.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(drizzt3117 @ Feb. 26 2005,00:34) Yes, I did like Georges quite a bit, I was quite fond of the venue and the food, and their wine list was rather impressive as well. The view was probably the best part though. I also agree about the waitresses. (shh, don't let ernest hear us saying good things about the French.)
On this we certainly agree.

mnemonic

Reaction score
Last time I asked you if you were stupid because you were converting yen to $ and $ to euros to find the price of oranges in euros...now I start to think you are.

Well since there was not one instance of me converting yen to dollars and dollars to euros you seemed to miss my point entirely.

I was merely giving MY viewpoint on price differences because I use dollars and you use euro - so I converted yen directly into both currencies. I thought I was pretty clear on that. I guess not though. May I suggest that before you start calling people stupid, you figure out what they are saying to you. Other people might take offense. Its a good thing I'm such a nice guy.

You seem to be obsessed with superiority, inferiority...may be a result of the japanese concept of "loosing the face"?

You can not compare Paris with Tokyo for 'culture' .

What are the 10 most visited cities in the world ?

Where is Paris and where is Tokyo in this list?

I think its pretty obvious from your posts that you believe Paris to be a superior city, I'm not obsessing over Tokyo being superior, in fact I've stated that it was just my opinion. I've been to only a handfull of cities on your list, but would disagree with them being better cities to eat in than Tokyo. You can think whatever you want.

Oh and by the way - Tokyo has plenty of "culture" for me. I don't know what you are using to define a "cultured" city - but Tokyo definitely ranks up there amongst the top cities.

I am taking them all in account, that's why I am discussing them point after point. But you only seem to be obsessed with food.

Very exepensive city
Food better than in Europe?

Ernest's post #1

At which price? How much is an apple? A goat cheese? A bottle of wine? A tomato?

You can always find worse.
The question was to be among the best 10 in the world. And you can find at least 20 cities in the world where food is better than in Tokyo (in choice and quality)

Ernest's post #2

You told me that the choice was wide and food good. So finding cheese and wine is completely normal. In the best 10 cities for food, you can at least found these products as they are the most basic ones.

All products are imported in Japan so they are expensive. How much a kilogramme of apple? A yaourt? A banana?

A western, tourist can not eat sushi and rice 3 times per day and think that the food is good and the choise wide.

Talk me about japanese food. What do they can in the morning most of time?

I could go on and on, I tried to stop the food discussion several times, but you kept bringing up. The food isn't much more expensive than other large cities, including those on your list - and I've told you so several times now. You also decided to continue with several frankly, fairly racist and uninformed statements about Japanese people only eating rice and fish, which I responded to rather reasonably, I think I've tried to reason things out with you and explain my viewpoints and opinions in an adult fashion, but if you insist on continuing to insult me over what was clearly an *opinion* that I was in no way trying to force on you, I may have to get upset.

It seems to me Ernest, that you are the one obsessing over food... I just tried to help you become more informed. I guess it didn't work as intended.

And again, this is TS, posting from J's living room, not Mnemonic.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Roy @ Feb. 25 2005,15:42)
Originally Posted by drizzt3117,Feb. 26 2005,00:34
Yes, I did like Georges quite a bit, I was quite fond of the venue and the food, and their wine list was rather impressive as well. Â The view was probably the best part though. Â I also agree about the waitresses. Â (shh, don't let ernest hear us saying good things about the French.)
On this we certainly agree.
BTW, do you know some of the top tier restaurants in Rome? I'm going to Rome for the first time in a month and I love to wine and dine extensively and don't mind spending money on it. Of course there are so many to be found, but i'd like at least some sort of knowledge/recommendation about an restaurant before I try it.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'll post some recs tonight, I've dined at some great restaurants in Rome, Chuck knows the city quite a bit more as I believe he goes there once every couple months, I've been there about 2-3 times in the past four years, but I have dined at some very nice places there.

BTW, ernest is playing the role of the ugly American here, never been anywhere but still claims his city/country is the best. ernest, I haven't heard of you being in ANY of these cities except for Paris and London, while I (and others, globetrotter especially) have been to almost all if not all of the other cities you list.

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll post some recs tonight, I've dined at some great restaurants in Rome, Chuck knows the city quite a bit more as I believe he goes there once every couple months, I've been there about 2-3 times in the past four years, but I have dined at some very nice places there.

BTW, ernest is playing the role of the ugly American here, never been anywhere but still claims his city/country is the best.  ernest, I haven't heard of you being in ANY of these cities except for Paris and London, while I (and others, globetrotter especially) have been to almost all if not all of the other cities you list.
I think you'll have to take Ernest with a grain of salt. I wouldn't be surprised if he is playing the role of the devil's advocate to aid discussion.

Or is this just wishful thinking?

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW, ernest is playing the role of the ugly American here, never been anywhere but still claims his city/country is the best.
Actually, most of the Americans I encountered in Europe really made an effort to learn something about local customs and were very well aware of Europe's place in the world.

On a terrace in Paris i've met a very friendly American doctor that was very interested in our opinion about certain U.S. policies. I can say I never met an American that fit the stereotype of ignorant redneck on a 4 day 'see all of europe' trip.

When a European person holds against you that you may not know the exact geography of Europe just ask them to point out Chicago, L.A., N.Y.C. , Boston and Washington D.C. out on a map. In most cases, this will shut them up.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

BTW, ernest is playing the role of the ugly American here, never been anywhere but still claims his city/country is the best.  ernest, I haven't heard of you being in ANY of these cities except for Paris and London, while I (and others, globetrotter especially) have been to almost all if not all of the other cities you list.
I don't like to travel very much. I have all I want in Paris.

nevertheless I would like to visit some cities =

NYC
LA
SF
LAS VEGAS
TOKYO
Pekin
Moscow

But for the moment I have no money to do that in good conditions (don't want to hitch-hike, to eat only in Mc Donalds and sleep in shoddy motels.)

My parents are not rich and they couldn't pay me a trip for US when I was a student like many parents did...

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(drizzt3117 @ Feb. 26 2005,01:17) I'll post some recs tonight, I've dined at some great restaurants in Rome, Chuck knows the city quite a bit more as I believe he goes there once every couple months, I've been there about 2-3 times in the past four years, but I have dined at some very nice places there. BTW, ernest is playing the role of the ugly American here, never been anywhere but still claims his city/country is the best. Â ernest, I haven't heard of you being in ANY of these cities except for Paris and London, while I (and others, globetrotter especially) have been to almost all if not all of the other cities you list.
I don't like to travel very much. I have all I want in Paris. nevertheless I would like to visit some cities = NYC LA SF LAS VEGAS TOKYO Pekin Moscow But for the moment I have no money to do that in good conditions (don't want to hitch-hike, to eat only in Mc Donalds and sleep in shoddy motels.) My parents are not rich and they couldn't pay me a trip for US when I was a student like many parents did...
Have you ever been to Rome?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(drizzt3117 @ Feb. 26 2005,01:17) I'll post some recs tonight, I've dined at some great restaurants in Rome, Chuck knows the city quite a bit more as I believe he goes there once every couple months, I've been there about 2-3 times in the past four years, but I have dined at some very nice places there. BTW, ernest is playing the role of the ugly American here, never been anywhere but still claims his city/country is the best. ernest, I haven't heard of you being in ANY of these cities except for Paris and London, while I (and others, globetrotter especially) have been to almost all if not all of the other cities you list.
I don't like to travel very much. I have all I want in Paris. nevertheless I would like to visit some cities = NYC LA SF LAS VEGAS TOKYO Pekin Moscow But for the moment I have no money to do that in good conditions (don't want to hitch-hike, to eat only in Mc Donalds and sleep in shoddy motels.) My parents are not rich and they couldn't pay me a trip for US when I was a student like many parents did...
Perhaps you would broaden your worldview a bit if you bought less Lanvin and Facconnalle products and traveled to the US or Asia. With the strong euro, it wouldn't be very expensive to do. Just a suggestion...

Roy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(ernest @ Feb. 25 2005,17:01)
Originally Posted by drizzt3117,Feb. 26 2005,01:17
I'll post some recs tonight, I've dined at some great restaurants in Rome, Chuck knows the city quite a bit more as I believe he goes there once every couple months, I've been there about 2-3 times in the past four years, but I have dined at some very nice places there. BTW, ernest is playing the role of the ugly American here, never been anywhere but still claims his city/country is the best. Â ernest, I haven't heard of you being in ANY of these cities except for Paris and London, while I (and others, globetrotter especially) have been to almost all if not all of the other cities you list.
Perhaps you would broaden your worldview a bit if you bought less Lanvin and Facconnalle products and traveled to the US or Asia. Â With the strong euro, it wouldn't be very expensive to do. Â Just a suggestion...
Drizzt, I am totally in agreement with you. If Ernest is ever in the neighbourhood of Amsterdam (only 50 euro and 3 hours away by Thalys) I'll invite him for dinner and show him around town. But for now I am leaving this discussion and heading to bed. So good night to you and my dear friend Ernest.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, most of the Americans I encountered in Europe really made an effort to learn something about local customs and were very well aware of Europe's place in the world.

On a terrace in Paris i've met a very friendly American doctor that was very interested in our opinion about certain U.S. policies. I can say I never met an American that fit the stereotype of ignorant redneck on a 4 day 'see all of europe' trip.

When a European person holds against you that you may not know the exact geography of Europe just ask them to point out Chicago, L.A., N.Y.C. , Boston and Washington D.C. out on a map. In most cases, this will shut them up.
This is not new. Most of American have a cultural complex with Europe.

Coming in Europe is very "chic", having friends in Europe is very trendy. And it shows your friends you have enough money to travel abroad.

The Amercians you see in PAris are the most educated and these who like Europe. So it is normal to see them interested.

The few americans I met in Paris told me that =

"We like our country but we don't like our people as most are fat, uneducated, drives large pick up, wear cowboys boots or sneakers with a cap, don't travel AT ALL, only cares about their house, their garden and their cars, we always reconize US people in Paris..."

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you would broaden your worldview a bit if you bought less Lanvin and Facconnalle products and traveled to the US or Asia.  With the strong euro, it wouldn't be very expensive to do.  Just a suggestion...
The euros is strong but I have no euros to spend in travel.

Before traveling I guess that having a correct wardrobe is the more umportant.

May be you could help me? I pay the flight and my food and you give me a free room for the time I spend in US...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics