1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What Are You Wearing Now/Today Part I

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Mar 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

The Rrrrrrrrrrrules say white, white white, so there!

(OK, maybe cream.) [​IMG]

So...my white linen with faded black stripe one might give you a heartattack.

2. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Senior member

So...my white linen with faded black stripe one might give you a heartattack.
    Not on you - on me, maybe a slight rash. I freely recognise other people's right to dress how the hell they want, you know.

3. whodini

whodini Senior member

Whodini, are we really pretending Figure 8 is one of elliott's best 5 albums let alone the best? There are a few winners, but hell, i even prefer the New Moon compilation that just came out. Most of the tracks are just as good as the album stuff from self titled and either/or. Carry on, though.
    You clearly are not from LA and perhaps that's why you prefer his older non-Dreamworks albums. "Fig 8" was about getting away from his Portland days and really focusing inward. It was far more electic with 60s influences and darker than anything he'd done previously. And man, you think New Moon is an album? I barely consider "Basement" an album as it is.

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Hmmm... now I don't know whether I ought to criticize outfits more often or less. In any case, I think that SoCal does a great job with most of his outfits. I like his more formal stuff moreso than his casual stuff, but that is to be expected. I find that he is considerably more experimental with his tailored clothing, especially with color and pattern, and it makes those outfits more visually captivating.

This may be tangential, but I remember going to what was East Germany on foraging trips back in about 1999 and 2000. I used to hit up Jil Sander outlets for stuff from the first few years of mens collections, Roberto Menichetti's earliest stuff for the Jil Sander Line. There were always lots of Jil Sander raw jeans, usually quite tapered. This was right before or during the denim boom that gave us all the brands we have now, and people were apparently still recovering from the 80's, so Helmut Lang classic fit and APC "old" standard were really the only slim tapered "fashion" jeans around, for the most part.

I think that there was good reason that Helmut Lang jeans were really popular, and Jil Sander, not so much. HL always "got" jeans. His military and workwear influences made jeans a very natural part of his lines, and I think that his minimalist versions of the canonical Type I and Type III denim jackets are still classics. On the other hand, the Jil Sander line never had denim in its blood. It had sports gear. Her use of the Puma King certainly showed that. But everything about her stuff was clean, clean, clean, and she never really got the rough and tumble of denim, imho. Of course, this is just my opinion. But I am not the only person to hold it.

5. whodini

whodini Senior member

Hmmm... now I don't know whether I ought to criticize outfits more often or less.

More. This forum is about getting AND giving advice, constructive criticism, adulation, sizing down two, and possible tranny Philly meets (taken to PM for the fiancee, Sauce.) Ultimately that advice shouldn't be personal and used at the victim's, uh, poster's discretion.

I'd like to think that the majority of us who post do so with the aforementioned in mind. Perhaps J can work up a popup when you post a WAYWN shot in which you'd have to answer "Do you have fairly thick skin for this?" in order to submit.

Really people, fire away and I'll return the favor (taken to PM again, Sauce); otherwise this place will quickly become stale, useless, and boring like 99% of the world.

6. jet

jet Senior member

In any case, I think that SoCal does a great job with most of his outfits. I like his more formal stuff moreso than his casual stuff, but that is to be expected. I find that he is considerably more experimental with his tailored clothing, especially with color and pattern, and it makes those outfits more visually captivating.

The reason why it's harder to be stylish in S&D than semi-MC is that there are many more choices and you're not limited to a specific blueprint ie trousers, button up and jacket. I don't think it's hard at all to put nice fits together because you're confined to certain fixed factors but in S&D there are no rules there's much more creativity involved with the various types of pants, jeans, cardigans, sweaters, jackets, avant garde shit etc. There are no restrictions and it's those that force you to become a clone. Plus streetwear is all about breaking the rules, which are sometimes made to be broken and that is why those that adhere to them never develop a style all their own.

7. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Senior member

I never had a problem that the jeans were Jil Sander. I actually like those jeans. i just didnt think the outfit was that great. But nonetheless you still bring some of rthe best outfits to the forum

8. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

A whole bunch of pics from today:

This afternoon casual:

Dries
    SDA
    Mantellassi

[​IMG]

Tonight, dinner meeting:

Charvet
    Brioni
    Chester Barrie
    Mantellassi

[​IMG]

Bonus picture of the Belvest I just got from bslo... needs sleeve lengthening but pretty decent fit OTR.

[​IMG]

9. blank

blank Senior member

^ ^ great post, jet

10. ghulkhan

ghulkhan Senior member

I never had a problem that the jeans were Jil Sander. I actually like those jeans. i just didnt think the outfit was that great. But nonetheless you still bring some of rthe best outfits to the forum

I also like to add that Raf Simons is the fucking man

11. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

I happen to enjoy SoCal's posts because he brings something to the table that nobody else does.
    As someone who has yet to post a WAYWN, I want to chime in and say that I'm continually impressed by SoCal. When its not his outfits, as some do strike me as "off", its the balls he has to wear them. He's one of the few posters who always gets me to click the WAYWN thread when his is the most recent post. Hats off from me.

12. gqreader239

gqreader239 Senior member

http://leatherjacketsandjeans.blogspot.com/
    dritzz i love that tie. i rather like the second suit. are you planning to lengthen the sleeves?

13. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

dritzz i love that tie. i rather like the second suit. are you planning to lengthen the sleeves?

Yeah, I am. I just got it tonight in the mail so I'll have it altered next week. I may let the jacket out like 1-2" also, haven't decided yet.

14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

The reason why it's harder to be stylish in S&D than semi-MC is that there are many more choices and you're not limited to a specific blueprint ie trousers, button up and jacket. I don't think it's hard at all to put nice fits together because you're confined to certain fixed factors but in S&D there are no rules there's much more creativity involved with the various types of pants, jeans, cardigans, sweaters, jackets, avant garde shit etc. There are no restrictions and it's those that force you to become a clone. Plus streetwear is all about breaking the rules, which are sometimes made to be broken and that is why those that adhere to them never develop a style all their own.

While theoretically true, most of us likewise conform to some mode of dressing that is as formulaic as the shirt-tie-suit uniform. I pretty much dress by the numbers. Choose one long sleeve tee or henley, choose one pair of jeans with complementary tone and either complementary or contrasting silhouette, choose one belt with contrasting color and complementary tone, choose a pair of sneakers. Put on leather bracelets and other accessories. That's me in the morning (then I go to the gym and take all that off and put on gym clothes for an hour and a half.) It's just human nature. Most of us have a uniform, and then do variation on the theme. And everyone has strengths and weaknesses. You can easily see this in stores where there is essentially one dominating buyer. Louis Boston, for example, does great in the "slightly off kilter gentleman" department, with Kiton suits under Dries van Noten coats with Henry Begeulin shoes. On the other hand, the "streetwear" floor of Louis generally sucks ass (there are some good pieces, but generally, the stuff is not worth writing home about,) especially considering how strong it is in other areas.

15. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Lorenzini shirt
    Brioni pant
    NM belt
    Brioni socks
    DE bluchers

16. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

Wow, someone got a little snippy. Maybe a nap first next time. LA Guy, I agree with who, I think this thread could use criticism a bit more often. Ironically, I figured it was probably safer to criticize SoCal2NYC because he so clearly nails it most of the time. When I first saw what you and Rye had posted, I was looking forward to SoCal's response, because he's always been one of the best posters in this thread, and I thought he'd have something interesting to say in response. But don't let one bad response sour you on it, I like your critiques (and Rye's) even on the occasions when I disagree, because they're always well thought-out and clearly articulated. Plus, in all this we've gone and buried diddy's post, which is a shame, because he's turning into a damn sniper. He rarely takes a shot, but he never misses. And it's always a kill. EDIT: I also love that kitonbrioni just keeps rolling along. You could set your watch to him.

17. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

[​IMG]
    vintage shirt trovata tank 45rpm suminando ndc no belt no shoes nothing

I feel this has a nice silhouette.

18. Eason

Eason Senior member

EDIT: I also love that kitonbrioni just keeps rolling along. You could set your watch to him.

He's a real go-getter, won't take no for an answer.

19. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

So true. Only difference is when the uniform is more complex and executed with more thought/taste, we label it personal style.

20. michaeljkrell

michaeljkrell Senior member

I really don't have anything to add to this debate, so I'll just post a pic... MJK Henley SC OKI One Wash Neil Barrett [​IMG] The back... [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.