Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What Are You Wearing Now/Today Part I

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Mar 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Which is basically still the LES hipster gear du jour, if I'm not mistaken. I was hoping it would be some groundbreaking, cutting-edge type sh**...[​IMG]

Meh, you're right, but shouldn't be surprised. I read an insightful article about the globalization of fashion (along with everything else) a year or so ago (it was already old news). With the internet, comes the increasing availability of both knowledge and product. I mean, c'mon. Look at this forum, look at this thread. There are kids in the middle of nowhere buying Pure Blue jeans and people in Michigan wearing N(N) and Carpe Diem. When I was in HS, that would have been unthinkable. And I grew up within day trip distance of 2 major metropoli.

2. Rye GB

Rye GB Angry Englishman

Which is basically still the LES hipster gear du jour, if I'm not mistaken. I was hoping it would be some groundbreaking, cutting-edge type sh**...[​IMG]
    No, not revolutionary, but at least it's not a logo, dunk, supreme, bape driven mess. The safe guys are still driving G-Star inspired denim and technical Blouson jackets..with white sneaks, bbbllaaaaarrrggghh. For those who like Levi and Lee there are a lot of repro's, I didn't dive in and take a close look. I shopped Harvey Nichols, Urban, Top Shop/Man and Liberty today, Selfridges tomorrow. I think guys in London and Paris are still the best dressed. I love Japanese style but the slap dash eclecticism gets boring.

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I think guys in London and Paris are still the best dressed. I love Japanese style but the slap dash eclecticism gets boring.

I never really thought that London was particularly well dressed. Street style always seemed a little too brand driven. In my experience, LA and NYC are actually better than London in terms of being visually interesting. I always had the impression that the "cottage industry" brands and vintage' never really caught on in the UK the way it had in LA and NYC, and so you got a very similar look, but much more homogeneous and much less interesting. Parisian guys I found to be a little more creative and generally more stylish - more willing to use color in unexpected places, to use cuts that were interesting more than flattering. Germany I always found to be a wash. Surprisingly, I found Norway to be pretty interesting, or at least Oslo was.

4. Bona Drag

Bona Drag Senior member

people in Michigan wearing N(N) and Carpe Diem

Thanks for aiming that one at MI and not Ohio. [​IMG]

And yeah, +1 on the globo fashion thing; I love my Steez, but SuFu's an even better example, I think. Damn those internets...

Also, Rye, I don't know enough about Tokyo to add any insight, except my impression is that often what's billed as "cutting edge", while certainly out there, is actually more of an outlandish costume thing than a coherent style or look. I guess I'm saying I agree with you...

Oh, and what is G-Star inspired denim?

Anyway, my rough and uninformed impression is that Paris has never really relinquished the top spot, Tokyo is a fashion universe unto itself, and NYC and London have it out for second place every few years.

5. braidkid

braidkid Senior member

[​IMG]

6. Bandwagonesque

Bandwagonesque Senior member

[​IMG]

Am I the only one that think the angle here makes braidkid look 8 ft tall? Finish that construction on your house already man... [​IMG]

7. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

It looks more like he photoshopped himself into that photo. I don't think braidkid should be eligible for the prize if he doesn't even exist.

Nice find on the jacket there, cheap. Don't know how you do it, but you do.

8. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Am I the only one that think the angle here makes braidkid look 8 ft tall? Finish that construction on your house already man... [​IMG]
    Braid's going to beat us all up. braid, where's the scarf from?

9. Halifamous

Halifamous Senior member

10. michaeljkrell

michaeljkrell Senior member

Is the scarf too much? I like it with the khaki jacket, but the green hoodie is maybe too much...

MJK Hoodie & Jacket
    Johnstons Of Elgin Scarf
    Corpus
    Kenneth Cole

[​IMG]

11. Ott

Ott Senior member

Is the scarf too much? I like it with the khaki jacket, but the green hoodie is maybe too much...
    yeah, looks a little too coordinated I think. Halifamous you and I seem to dress alike. Although, neither of us seem to be able to take a decent photograph so its hard to compare. Still, your blur looks like my blur so you're okay with me [​IMG]

12. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

I agree. Between the hoodie and the jacket, it's too close to being a perfect mix of both. Not a bad scarf or a bad outfit, but not with those two pieces, specifically.

13. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

MJK, I think the scarf adds a lot of coordination to the fit. I think you'd be good without the scarf or with a different color hoodie. Otherwise, I think the shoes, jeans, jacket look great.

Is that the jacket that started it all (circle pockets with slash zippers)?

14. michaeljkrell

michaeljkrell Senior member

I look like a christmas tree...

15. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

I look like a christmas tree...

Wie grün sind deine Blätter!
    Du grünst nicht nur zur Sommerzeit,
    Nein auch im Winter, wenn es schneit.
    O Tannenbaum, o Tannenbaum,
    Wie grün sind deine Blätter!

O Tannenbaum, o Tannenbaum,