• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Wearing Now/Today Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got this sport jacket today, haven't taken off the tags yet because I'd like some feedback first. The sleeves seem a little long, but other than that, I think the fit is pretty good.
410356631P_2.jpg
1. D&G 2. Peak Performance 3. Hugo Boss 4. Nudie 5. Fugly boots Oh, and welcome to my student apartment in Finland, it's affectionately known as the "East German complex"

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The arms fit a little long, and the lapels look a little wide. Maybe shorten another inch in length? OR, you could just buy a jacket from Get Smart
wink.gif
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yerfdog
thumbs up on the idea. i've always been skeptical ever since cardigans became popular for men recently - they just seem inherently floppy/soft and if found on men better suited to a man over the age of 75.

but i do like the execution of that one

I'm only just recently starting to get over my instinctual Mr. Rogers association with cardigans. Rye, Get Smart, and a few other posters here and on SuFu are most of the reason. Took me a while, though.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
cardigans can be tricky territory.....too soft/drapey and it's classic Mr Rogers....but an otherwise nice cardi can look really 'emo', in a bad way.

+1 on Rye's cardigan, i like the colorway A LOT, and it seems to have a nice shape to it. I'd pick one of those up.

Stazy, if you do decide to keep the jacket def shorten the sleeves so they are just at your wristbone. overall, it has all the elements that I like a lot but the proportions throw me off a bit (lapel width, overall length of jacket, the distance between buttonpoint and the bottom hem, the pocket position..all minor details, but one that keeps me from getting hard over it)

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've decided to keep the jacket. The combination of colors in the fabric makes it quite versatile, something that I really like. Getting the sleeves shortned is a must, and I think I'll look into getting the jacket length shortened as well.

At any rate, I promise to buy a Thick As Thieves jacket in coming months, but next on my list is more denim...

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
if you shorten the jacket, be careful not to take too much off otherwise it will interfere with the pocket position and it'll seem like the pockets are sitting on the hem. Because the pockets are so low, I'd say you could only take an inch off max, which might be just enough to make it perfect for you.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stazy: re: the jacket, some things are about the jacket, somesthings are about what you are wearing with it to take the snapshot.

Jacket: lapels wide, shoulder built up, sleeves and length long. Sleeves can be shortened. Jacket can be shortened too, up to about an inch before you throw the proportion off. If you tuck in the hip pocket flaps the position of the pockets re the coat skirt will be less prominent/noticeable.

But lapels and shoulder remain. With casual outfit above, you are not wearing the coat; the coat is wearing you. A jacket with softer shoulder and narrower lapel would be more versatile IMO.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
120picdj9.jpg

Ralph Lauren buttondown
Spiewak flight jacket
Paul Smith gingham trouser
Paul Smith boots

Rye GB

Angry Englishman
Reaction score
Beams Hoody-Beams Harajuku. Thrift NYC Tee-Pasadena Rose Bowl Market. Rokara Scarf-Rokara Sample Box Downtown Los Angeles. Nudie SSK Jeans-Harvey Nichols Manchester UK. Chucks-Undftd Silverlake.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rare for me to post such things but I have nothing else to do than wait for some stuff here at work to finish so here goes. Warning, contains cheap crap
biggrin.gif
Old greenish brown PDC straight corduroys (must be old, found them on fleabay, nice and slim) Grenson Ilkley boots Orvis brown buffalo hide officer's belt Merona merino wool camel v-neck sweater (the retailer is pronounced "Ta-rjay" from what my mother-in-law tells me
wink.gif
) Some thicker gray socks (not really visible but hey, why not list them) Sea-gull "1963" watch ('60s PLA air force styleeee) My new favourite piece, WW2 NOS gray wool Swedish military tunic (fleabay can be a land of magical things
biggrin.gif
- other than the plagaiarists, swindlers and tossers) Breil leather/steel bracelet. And of course to carry all the bloody cables, chargers adapters and assorted crap I use at work, an East German military map bag (thrift store, $12 I think - comes with that wonderful old military equipment smell of mustiness, gunpowder and old oil)

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Pics, you bastard! I want to see the Swedish mil tunic.
frown.gif

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
Pics, you bastard! I want to see the Swedish mil tunic.
frown.gif

WAAAAAAAAAH! Runs back to MC to say that the denim bullies picked on him
biggrin.gif
Will see what I can do.
6b_1.JPG
Seller's pic. Fit is VERY nice. This dummy is wearing one. http://www.grantsmilitaria.com/milit...es.asp?key=346 I disagree whowver with what is mentioned there regarding fit. Armholes are high, has some serious waist suppression (which is exscellent in my books) and skirted like a nice old English equestrian inspired suit. This fits like the typical feldgrau Wehrmacht tunics as from what I gathered, there was some confluence of design with the German military of the era, even though Sweden was in papers neutral. Taking that in to consideration, when closed up with a scarf it looks INCREDIBLE. Feels almost bulletproof, too. Lots of nice pockets (including two in the lower back). Front side pockets have inside closure buttons that are under the flaps. Buttons have the Swedish crown in triplicate. Was an easy decision for me, my "style" (I fi could be so brash as to call it that) includes a lot of vintage military or mil inspired pieces so... Edit: Found another source that claims that this is either a up to late 1950's second generation M58 (due to the back pockets and lack of rear vent) or converted WW2 M39-58 (M39 that had rear pockets added and vent removed). Or maybe neither as the images I have seen don't seem to jive with that. Either way it is at a minimum 55 years old, and in seriously good (dare I say, mint) shape. Found a pic on a different site that looks yet different and claims to be a 1940's model. Sheesh.

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
I'm only just recently starting to get over my instinctual Mr. Rogers association with cardigans. Rye, Get Smart, and a few other posters here and on SuFu are most of the reason. Took me a while, though.
yeah, i think the first one i saw on a young guy that i thought looked good was a picture cheapmutha posted a couple months ago

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yerfdog
yeah, i think the first one i saw on a young guy that i thought looked good was a picture cheapmutha posted a couple months ago

I'd still feel uneasy wearing cardigans. GS and cmf are sharp dressers in their own style but I am more in between them with what I wear (and have plagiarised some of the things they do
biggrin.gif
); I feel cardigans are way out of place on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads