What Are You Wearing Now/Today Part I

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, Mar 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Jesus Christ. I'm too poor for that! Maybe this is god's way of telling me I should be spending more on food a month than clothing [​IMG]
    You're not. Whey protein is cheaper per gram of protein than any other source, and steel cut oats in bulk won't cost more than $1/lb, and that's for organic stuff. It may be depressing and untasty, but you can totally do it you're disciplined. Don't forget to supplement this kind of diet with other stuff (vegetables don't need to expensive, take vitamins, buy chicken on sale, shop at Trader Joe's because it makes everything better, etc).
    If there's 3 things that I know go great together, it's Chicago, December, and motorcycles.
    I thought motorcycles were something you couldn't ride in rain/snow? At least that's what I've heard out here. I was considering learning to ride and using one for commuting for a while, but everyone I spoke to assured me it was completely impractical.

2. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Sized Down 2

If you don't mind me asking, how did you start shaping up? I am in a very similar situation as far as height and build are concerned (6'3" 125lbs) and I could use some help getting started. It's so hard to find decent fitting clothes when you have a 35 inch chest but are my height. *sorry for the slight derailment here*
    I'm a bit drunk at the moment and don't want to clog up this thread, but feel free to PM me with questions if you want to know what worked for me personally. No guarantees that what's been working for me will work for you, of course. There are probably a number of guys on here who've made better progress than me, too, so feel free to post any questions in the Body Consciousness part of the forum. Expect to get ten different answers from as many people, though.

3. Studio27

Studio27 Senior member

If you don't mind me asking, how did you start shaping up? I am in a very similar situation as far as height and build are concerned (6'3" 125lbs) and I could use some help getting started. It's so hard to find decent fitting clothes when you have a 35 inch chest but are my height. *sorry for the slight derailment here*
    for beginners, i'll advise all clients to do generally the same thing if they can handle it (i.e. able to perform basic functions like walking or doing pushups, etc.): lift big and eat big. being as small as you are, and with beginner's gains, you will honestly be able to eat so much food and still be able to gain pretty cleanly and, if you don't get stupid with diet, maybe even lean up a bit. there are a few core exercises that you can do circuit style, start with 1 round, then 2, then 3, and after you hit 3 you can start going up in weight. once you get to the point where your numbers are going up, focus on rep ranges and do as much weight as you can and fit between the range (6-8 was optimal for me personally -- trial and error. this one works for most people i deal with). anyway, core exercises -- big compound movements squat (don't do these until you get comfortable in the gym) deadlift (don't do these until you're very comfortable & won't hurt yourself -- +20% chance of injury for this exercise, but they work oh so good) bench press military press pullups, assisted if necessary dips, assisted if necessary bent over rows (don't do these until fairly comfortable. not part of the "big 6," but i love them) it usually costs me about 50 or 60$ for a week's worth of food, but it is mighty boring. several pounds of chicken and ground sirloin, and some steak's if they happen to be on sale. brown minute rice, and frozen mixed vegetables are the staples. oh, and eggs/oatmeal/peanut butter [note: if you don't have constraints you can do better. i'm in a dorm without a meal plan. storage/time/cooking equipment isn't optimal, but i do manage]. the point is you just have to plan it out and eat accordingly. shoot for 6 meals/day including shakes if you so choose, take it up to 8 if you can. protein with every meal, sugars pre/post workout, otherwise complex and/or fibrous carbohydrates (i'm a HUGE carb fan contrary to the norm. i know they help me grow -- so i consider them just as important as protein). some healthy fats before bed to slow protein digestion; keep the fat ratio <20% on either side of the workouts. raise it to 30-35ish otherwise. timing is huge, keep the body anabolic to show your hard work. supplements if you so choose: protein powder - whey is fine, but if you're just getting one, i prefer a blend. hydrosolate will be best post workout, followed by microfiltrated whey isolate, then ion exchanged whey isolate, whey concentrate. the fast absorbing whey is best PWO, but you'll likely be taking 2-3 per day, in which case blends are far superior due to slower absorption. there's also soy and casein just to name a few. i have my favorites but i won't whore them out here -- PM if you would like the names. vitamin - not centrum, not a megamen -- flintstones absorb better. do your research on these. i prefer my liquid vitamin generally, but i'm using a powdered version now because it takes up less space. less than 10% of most vitamins are absorbed into the body. there's a reason vitamins are the #1 reason septic tanks get clogged. for reference, when a centrum comes out you can still see the C. glutamine - everyone has mixed reviews on this amino acid, but i swear by the stuff. it's god's gift to my sore muscles -- helps me recover so much faster. also aids in immune function (i'll spare you the nitty gritty as to why). i have right now 3 different protein powders, 2 glutamines (1 for testing -- new product), and a vitamin. if you're starting out i would just stick to the basics. when i started i had 1 protein (blended), 1 glutamine, and 1 vitamin. there's more i'm sure, but i think i've written quite enough. the biggest thing is learn as much as you can. don't read everything and treat it as fact, question everything. don't consider yourself to be at a higher conditioned level than you actually are -- it's a recipe for overtraining on some of the programs out there. anyone who would like more info is welcome to PM me for general advice, recommendations, or supplement info. my qualifications: certified personal trainer certified sports nutritionist manager of a sports nutrition store, albeit remotely (i'm at wharton right now, but i guess i was good enough that they let me keep my job) former skinny bastard -- gained 40 lbs while losing 3% bodyfat in first four months of training (i knew exactly what i was doing before i started to be fair. i'm an information whore). started at 132 @ 11% b.f., was at 175 @ 8% b.f. after 4 months. currently standing about 185/190 and fairly lean -- 12% the winter is for bulking!! i figured i'd answer here since the question was asked here. we should really take this to another thread now though. back to your regularly scheduled WAYWN.

4. ratboycom

ratboycom Senior member

I thought motorcycles were something you couldn't ride in rain/snow? At least that's what I've heard out here. I was considering learning to ride and using one for commuting for a while, but everyone I spoke to assured me it was completely impractical.

It is do-able, but not something I would advise. The only time I wrecked (where I wasnt being a stunter Jackass on a scooter) was when I went around a concrete corner that had sitting water on it. Happened so fast all I could think was "shit, Ouch" as my bike went spinning off about half a block down the road sounding like a chainsaw someone set spinning on its side. I Slid about half as far as it did, roughed up my shop jacket a bit and bruised my left side but nothing broken. Fun stuff.

5. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Senior member

to get this back on track....

[​IMG]
    thrift cardi
    mil henley
    thermal form chris
    ande whall grifters
    adidas boots

6. ratboycom

ratboycom Senior member

I dont know if I could ever wear a caridgan. It just always reminds me of Mr Rodgers. You guys, especially GS, seem to pull it off most of the time with out looking like you are going to say &quot;Well, Hello Neibor&quot; to everyone you see.

7. Rye GB

Rye GB Angry Englishman

to get this back on track....

[​IMG]
    thrift cardi
    mil henley
    thermal form chris
    ande whall grifters
    adidas boots

The Cardigan is epic, great find. Paired with the off-white Henley it's a great look. What wrecks it for me is the boots, not the design, but the styling. When I see boots worn over jeans like that I think of all those terrible futuristic movies like "Blade" and "The Matrix".

Let's not wreck this thread by defending The Matrix!. [​IMG]

8. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

No one wore boots over jeans in The Matrix.

9. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Senior member

ehh... not something id do all the time.... hap at sufu pulls it off so i thought id try it out.

10. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Hey, don't look at me. Personally, I like it and I liked The Matrix, in spite of its flaws, but I'm apparently not allowed to defend it. Admittedly, I don't think it works with that outfit, though.

11. Studio27

Studio27 Senior member

ehh... not something id do all the time.... hap at sufu pulls it off so i thought id try it out.

hap pulls anything off to be fair.

12. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

Hosted a lil holiday party yesterday. Carved myself out of a candid shot. I need to get an actual image-editing program.

[​IMG]

Cap
    vintage cord jacket
    BB OCBD
    vintage grenadine
    brown filson belt
    RRDG
    brown suede bucs

13. knucks

knucks Senior member

Well the camera is dead, this is the best I can do off my phone for now... Reason/Cheap Monday/Vans [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. metkirk

metkirk Senior member

First post !!!

[​IMG]

AA cardigan
    Seersucker pink/white stripes button down
    Nudie SJ
    Lacoste Spun

15. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Senior member

[​IMG] big ben chore jacket roebucks western flannel mil belt(hmmm... a bit crooked...) samurai adidas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.