• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It’s a great book. I’m finding myself sucked into the characters’ lives, and sad that I only have 80 pages to go.

Sweet. It’s crazy he can move between genres like that. (Sometimes, you’re like, Yep, an essayist wrote this novel...)

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Etymologicon by Mark Forsyth. Very amusing book on the origins of various words. If you're a linguistics nerd you might know a lot of them already. He has a very quirky writing style.

Amusing Ourselves to Death by Neil Postman. Interesting argument on how the proliferation of TV as a form a entertainment has crippled our culture's ability to think critically. Written in 1985 but still very relevant.

Finished No Logo by Naomi Klein. Only 20 years late to the party, but I learned a lot and how multinationals were (are?) even more corrupt than I thought.

Going to start Les Miserables, see you in this thread in a year when I finish it.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sweet. It’s crazy he can move between genres like that. (Sometimes, you’re like, Yep, an essayist wrote this novel...)
He’s also writing Captain America for Marvel.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Permanent Record, by Edward Snowden and a good Speyside whisky. David Bowie is playing in the background.

6D9859DE-DC22-4C39-871A-17A655BF2868.jpeg

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finished Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle

KotaB

Reaction score
Best part of working nights...getting paid to self develop
20191214_023720.jpg

Nikos

Reaction score
Just started Stoner, by John Williams.
Also currently reading To the Lighthouse.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gonna start tonight

15785079._UY630_SR1200,630_.jpg

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Zdravo back at you! Are you a fellow South Slav with whom I can hijack this thread and discuss obscure provincial writers over a bottle of šljivovica?
Sort of.... Polish/Slovak on my dad's side and I know bits of pleasantries in the slavic tongues. I actually want to learn more about obscure provincial writers. My Slovak great grandparents were bootleggers during Prohibition using only finest recipes from old country.

A Month in Siena was the best book of the year. I didn't know Matar was trained as an architect (or maybe I did, I remember reading reviews of his last book). His writing is excellent and at the risk of sounding punny, there's really good structure to all his pages.

For some light holiday reading I am now going through The Only Plane in the Sky. It's hard to not make 9/11 prurient. I think the whole point of 9/11 is the sheer horror of the day. It's also weird to say the book is judiciously prurient and horrifying

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
“Supernova Era” by Cixin Liu, of “The Three Body Problem” fame. It’s billed as his newest work, but the original copyright date is 2004 and it’s only his latest to be translated.

It’s just this side of terrible. Improbable event after improbable event; little to no plot; wooden characters; some truly clunky sentences that I blame on the translator:

“The whale, it turned out, was still alive, and it’s mouth twitched and the one cloudy eye that faced upward stared at them lifelessly.”

Given the copyright date I am realizing this is an early if not his first novel, and it is rather painfully obvious.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An old friend released a book with essays on some of his most well-known photos. Good stuff, and plenty of memories in this one.

3338240C-BCD0-45F9-9FD9-803965F7E4F9.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads