• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I’m always amused when someone thinks I chose my handle as an homage to Rand.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally have gotten around to reading this one. I’m almost halfway through and am thoroughly enjoying it.

5E50752A-2EE3-4B43-80A9-8F604287A11E.jpeg

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m always amused when someone thinks I chose my handle as an homage to Rand.
It's clear you're saying "I'm at Las".

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted to read Atlas Shrugged or the Fountainhead, but I've known people who read it and suck it up lock, stock, and barrel, tp the point that they feel Rand's objectivism answers all questions. When they answer my challenges with "you just have to read the book to understand" it feels very much like a cult. which keeps me away.

Right now I am reading three four books, Adam Gollner's The Fruit Hunters which is like a series of vignettes about various fruits, their history, and the people who are crazy about them. I am really interested in the history of cultivated fruits and vegetables. On that note I am also reading Of Cabbages and Kings which is a slim volume a little more focused on the history of fruits and vegetables, and is lushly illustrated with Renaissance paintings, botanical engravings, and the like, but which focuses more directly on where various crops orginated geographically and how they came to be cultivated. Third is Fin-De-Siecle Vienna: Politics and Culture which is about the artistic and philosophical thought present in Vienna at the dawn of the last century. I've always been fascinated with that time from an aesthetic point of view; the end of Art Nouveau and the dawn of Deco and the rise of Arts and Crafts. It's pretty heavy duty, though. The fourth is a good, but fluffy, fiction anthology.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rare thrift store find.. in a college town DFW is snatched up instantly at used book stores, especially thrifts. Couple stories in and really enjoying it, it's the format I like DFW the best in. I'm far into Infinite Jest, while I like it, I much rather read his shorter stories.

brief-interviews-with-hideous-men-1.jpg

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brave New World - pretty amazing book frankly, very interesting insight into human nature.

I recently finished this one. I liked it but I think 1984 was more engaging.

**** of Nanking should be required reading in every high school. A shameful number of educated people are entirely unaware of the atrocities committed by the Japanese - a focus of the author in part of the book.

I’m about 200 pages into Rise and Fall. I thought it would be a little dry but it’s exceptional and hard to put down at times.

0A762C18-AF18-4CA1-A274-25F47393AAF6.jpeg

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Reader tip: Rise and Fall is not a tragedy.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been reading everything I can by Osamu Dazai, a Japanese novelist famous for his dissolute lifestyle as much as his books: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osamu_Dazai

However, No Longer Human is really excellent, and Setting Sun also worth reading. His works tend to be semi-autobiographical, with aristocratic protagonists fallen on hard times or who have been disowned by their families for their bad behaviour or low artistic ambitions.

After several attempts, some jointly with women, Dazai finally succeeded in killing himself at the age of 39, which just seems to have added to his appeal.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a slightly dystopian Germany near future, a couple of people make scads of money connecting those who wish to off themselves with organizations who need their services as suicide bombers.

09FB8EC9-10CB-43F8-AB5F-4CDF4AB15EE0.jpeg

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been reading everything I can by Osamu Dazai, a Japanese novelist famous for his dissolute lifestyle as much as his books: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osamu_Dazai

However, No Longer Human is really excellent, and Setting Sun also worth reading. His works tend to be semi-autobiographical, with aristocratic protagonists fallen on hard times or who have been disowned by their families for their bad behaviour or low artistic ambitions.

After several attempts, some jointly with women, Dazai finally succeeded in killing himself at the age of 39, which just seems to have added to his appeal.
DId you say you are based in Tokyo? I will be there for work the 13-20. We're basically the same person online (but I'm more boring IRL).

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DId you say you are based in Tokyo? I will be there for work the 13-20. We're basically the same person online (but I'm more boring IRL).

I may be more interesting IRL, I don't know. I'm not in Tokyo right now, but will be between October and January.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I may be more interesting IRL, I don't know. I'm not in Tokyo right now, but will be between October and January.
I meant 13-20 of October. You should have been able to divine that from my ambiguous text, good sir.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads