• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
51vcylss4nL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any over read The Egyptian by Mika Waltari? I’m about a third of the way through. It’s a very enjoyable and entertaining historical fiction set around 1,300 BCE. Praised by Egyptologists for its accuracy, anyone who’s read and enjoyed Umberto Eco’s Baudolino would like this book.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
410SDPPAY6L._AC_UL320_SR210,320_.jpg

Just started this. Can't review yet.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just read Christopher Priest's latest, An American Story, which is one of a mere handful of literary novels that deal directly with 9/11. Priest is a brilliant writer and an unobtrusive stylist whose writing has always been concerned with alternative worlds and the nature of reality so it's no surprise that he dives into 9/11 conspiracies. I'm not sure I enjoyed it at times, but I couldn't stop reading it. It's already sparked some strong reactions (as would anything that deals with 9/11) but don't be put off, this may be the only good 9/11 novel so far written, even if it's far from Priest's best book.
9781473200579.jpg

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hmm, I’ve got no great hankerings for 9/11 fiction, but “unobtrusive stylist” makes me want to check this out.

Have you read Falling Man? That’s a good one, esp. if you like obtrusive stylists. Updike’s newspaper piece (from the immediate aftermath) also sticks out, if only because people slammed it for being too pretty.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you read Falling Man? That’s a good one, esp. if you like obtrusive stylists. Updike’s newspaper piece (from the immediate aftermath) also sticks out, if only because people slammed it for being too pretty.

I disliked Falling Man. The original stream of consciousness piece DeLillo wrote about the event itself is brilliant - and it remains the best bit of the book - but the novel he constructed around it does not live up to that at all. And frankly he's only got worse as a writer since then - Point Omega was terrible. There are other interesting post-9/11 works - the best ones of which - Jarett Kobek's Atta, Lavie Tidhar's Osama, Matt Ruff's Mirage and Steve Ericson's Shadowbahn - deal with things in experimental ways... and there are plenty of novels influenced by the subsequent War on Terror more broadly, but it's notable how writers have stayed away from 9/11 as a straight subject or narrative device. The only really truly successful example is probaby in film - Paul Greengrass's United 93.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hmm...I actually don’t remember anything about Falling Man other than the first set piece, so you’re probably right. I thought the intro to Point Omega was pretty stunning as well, DeLillo’s bit on the whole Psycho museum installation, but what was really fascinating to me was hearing the audio books of both Cosmopolis and Point Omega, voiced by Will Patton and Campbell Scott. They really squeezed every last bit of beauty from those lines. I don’t know that DeLillo’s gotten worse — it just seems like he’s done it all, and his later work is so soggy and bleak.

Haven’t even heard of those first three you mentioned, but I’ll definitely have to check them out!

In other news, I’m almost done with Robert Kirkman’s Invincible comic, which was very well done. It starts out like your standard high school kid with super powers story (and thus appears routine and boring), but then he raises the stakes and emotion and really kicks it into high gear, energizing the genre with super-extended plot arcs, great characterization, violence and actual consequences, with none of the stilted dialogue that plagued his Walking Dead series. I’d recommend it to any fatigued Marvel fan.

Last edited:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I might get on a historical novel kick after reading The Egyptian, so do you recommend this? Does anyone else have recommendations for historical novels?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m reading a printed book:

D5CE8A5E-5C0D-427C-9883-D01B3860641A.jpeg

And listening to an audiobook.

F50C2635-37E2-4869-9AD8-4401589A2587.jpeg

Last edited:

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I might get on a historical novel kick after reading The Egyptian, so do you recommend this? Does anyone else have recommendations for historical novels?

Yes, I definitely recommend it.

graywayne

Reaction score
I received a copy of Haruki Murakami's Killing Commendatore from a friend. If some of you already read his novel I'm certain that this bingo card is somewhat reliable in telling you what to expect of his works.
Snider-sub-custom1.jpg

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
24bookovitz1-articleLarge.jpg

I started this on Tuesday. Appr 45 pages left.

A very well done bio of his body of work...mainly running CAA. He is very candid throughout the book.
I did like that it starts with the David Letterman/Leno/Tonight Show fiasco which he ended up being a part of behind the scenes.

4/5 at this point.

Edit....finished this on Thurs. Solid 4. Nothing groundbreaking but a good book about CAA/Hollywood/entertainment/etc.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads