• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
I completed reading Blood Meridian this evening. I struggled to feel compassion for any of the characters, but once I made it past needing that, I found the judge a fascinating character. Both books have very simple plots. A direction. A handful of characters. McCarthy relies on violence in both to make a story, but more so in BM. I don't care one way or another about the amount of violence. The writing style here is more dense than in The Road. That's how I became less enchanted. I found myself longing for the later work, its simplicity not only in style but also the relationship between father and son and the constant impending threat to their frailty and the setting and the color palette and the doom, all working together. I miss that meditation on finality.

All of us felt cabin fever yesterday. I took my 7-year-old son out for a walk in our neighborhood late in the afternoon and felt the cold and the dark on us and wondered how I would take care of him if it were like that all the time from thereon. Cold, dark, no food, other people were a threat. We came upon a yard lighted with Christmas lights and floodlights and a family making snowmen in the front yard. A few steps away was their lit up front door, and past the door their warm house. For a moment I hesitated to go any further.

Thanks for the observations, which are generally consisent with my own reading experience. The judge is, indeed, a fascinating character.

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Started The Source, by James Michener today. I wanted to read Foucalt's Pendulum first, but the person who bought T.S for me keeps asking if i have read it yet
teacha.gif
. Am enjoying it so far, i think i'm going to like it.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
London Fields, Martin Amis. Again. Love it. Keith Talent is one of my favourite literary characters. Very funny. Respect to darts.

Related: Amis's other great 80s novel, Money, will be dramatised this year on Brit tv.

DukesofStratosphear

Reaction score
Two excellent ghost stories by Susan Hill: The Mist in the Mirror and The Woman in Black.

There was a great Victorian tradition in the UK of reading and telling ghost stories at Christmas (particularly on Christmas Eve), and Hill's period writing carries on this tradition rather well.

If you ever get a chance to see a British made-for-TV adaption of The Woman in Black, do: it's one of the creepiest films I've ever seen.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
been reading Kafka's The Castle. It's a little weird right now, but not as difficult as Ulysses -_-; dunno if i'm going to ever finish that book.

big_kev

Reaction score
Currently reading: Seek the fair land by Walter Macken. Its came highly recommended and I cant put it down - Its a cracker

Last Great Book: Lion of Ireland by Morgan Llywelyn. Its a whopper of a book about an irish legend: brian boru. He'd have William wallace any old day of the week. Fantastic book: war, love, magic, tragedy, the works.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Britalian
London Fields, Martin Amis. Again. Love it. Keith Talent is one of my favourite literary characters. Very funny. Respect to darts.

Related: Amis's other great 80s novel, Money, will be dramatised this year on Brit tv.

I've only read Amis' criticisms, but I like his writing. I'll have to try his novels.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just back from Xmas/NY Montana trip: A.B. Guthrie's The Big Sky

Verno Inferno

Reaction score
I just wrapped up The World Accordingto Garp by John Irving. It was one of my favorite novels I read this year. If asked to describe what I liked about it, I'd agree with the original NYT review from 1978 that starts off with, "This is going to be hard to explain." I've been sitting on the book for about a year and it just looked uninteresting to me, despite all the rave reviews. I'm so happy I finally got around to it.

frederik_jon

Reaction score
I just burrowed three books from my father of an amazing japanese
author named Haruki Murakami started of with the novel South of the Border
West of the Sun.
smile.gif

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by revitol143
Sputnik Sweetheart

This is pretty much the only one I haven't read. Maybe later this year.

Originally Posted by frederik_jon
I just burrowed three books from my father of an amazing japanese
author named Haruki Murakami started of with the novel South of the Border
West of the Sun.
smile.gif

Wind up is the best. Read that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads