• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Foundation is so great. Wish i could read it again for the first time.

The apple tv series does a good job with it, if that is your thing.
I did catch the tv series and I quite liked it - unlike the few reviews I saw. I guess part of the critique it got, was due to it being rather different from the books, but I've no problem with that; I don't mind if an adaptation does its own thing (and while Foundation was a good read, I could see how it wouldn't necessarily work as a tv series as written - that would probably have felt too disjointed due to its nature of a 'fix up novel' based on short stories released over a few years, as it was - just like a lot of Golden Age SF).

Btw, for anyone interested in the history and development of literary Science Fiction I can recommend these bite(byte?)-sized, well written videos:

www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhyKYa0YJ_5AuEhpcGAo4ngmSDKuFgZZx

Based on the info there plus insights from a lot of reviews - as well as some top 10, 50, 100 lists - I've recently purchased some 50+ SF books that I'm working my way through - spanning the years from 1895 to 2019, but primarily dealing with the (supposedly best) period from 1950 to 1990.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After finishing Arendt, I finally succeeded in picking up some light reading:

It's pretty funny how Twoflower is exploring this city, surrounded by people who want to kill him, and is completely oblivious to this danger.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read this and found it fascinating. I then recommended it to two other people who read it and loved it. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

I'm glad you liked it mate! :smile:

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently decided I wanted to read some Westerns. First I read The Lonely Men by Louis l'Amour. Really, really enjoyed his storytelling style and the story itself. While I was waiting on my requested library hold for Shane by Jack Schaefer, I picked up another l'Amour title, Last of the Breed, which I just finished Saturday. Really good book, though not a Western. I'm really intrigued by his storytelling style and want to try some more of his stuff.

I'm going on a cruise starting next weekend, need to pick something up to read for the trip.

Oswald Cornelius

Reaction score
Recently decided I wanted to read some Westerns.

L'Amour was good. I read all of him I could find--and many others-- a long time ago. You can google something like 'classic western novels' a bunch keep showing up at the top and they're not wrong. If you're more literary than genre minded, my favorites are Cormac McCarthy's Western novels: The Border Trilogy, No Country for Old Men and, ultimately, Blood Meridian--simply one of the greatest books I've read.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Recently decided I wanted to read some Westerns. First I read The Lonely Men by Louis l'Amour. Really, really enjoyed his storytelling style and the story itself. While I was waiting on my requested library hold for Shane by Jack Schaefer, I picked up another l'Amour title, Last of the Breed, which I just finished Saturday. Really good book, though not a Western. I'm really intrigued by his storytelling style and want to try some more of his stuff.

I'm going on a cruise starting next weekend, need to pick something up to read for the trip.
For more Westerns can't go wrong with True Grit although it is very short. What do you want to read on teh cruise? The Search for the Lost City of Z is probably my favorite book of all time. Just swashbuckling enough, but also historical. It is non-fiction, though. I think it would be a great cruise read.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
s-l500.jpg

Wrapped this up a week or so ago.

Seeing%20Slowly%20by%20Michael%20Findlay.jpg

I picked this over the weekend. It's not really a novel so may not read through it in one sitting. Will see.

Cotillion

Reaction score
L'Amour was good. I read all of him I could find--and many others-- a long time ago. You can google something like 'classic western novels' a bunch keep showing up at the top and they're not wrong. If you're more literary than genre minded, my favorites are Cormac McCarthy's Western novels: The Border Trilogy, No Country for Old Men and, ultimately, Blood Meridian--simply one of the greatest books I've read.

Check out Warlock by Oakley Hall. One of my favorites along with McCarthy.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out Warlock by Oakley Hall. One of my favorites along with McCarthy.
Thanks. There is a four-novel collection available at the local library that includes Warlock and Shane (which I just started a couple evenings ago). I'm going to pick it up today for the trip. Reading Westerns in the Caribbean...

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m reading Shōgun again. It’s a long-ass book but to me there are no superfluous passages, which results in one of the most immersive stories I’ve ever read.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How did you discover that book?

I think it was one of those very productive forum conversations regarding use of atomic bomb. I was checking for contemporary opinions about it use and Leahy's stood out to me as very principled. Being a something of a naval history buff I thought I needed to read something about the man. I admit I knew very little of him before and I had no clue he was such a important and powerful figure at the end of Roosevelt's rule. I checked for books about him on audible and found this title.

Last edited:

Oswald Cornelius

Reaction score
Gotcha. I know there are fast readers, I'm not one. I DO like to have a novel and a nonfiction book going at the same time, but I'm not good about sticking to that rule.

Right now I'm reading The Last Days of Disco by Whit Stillman. It's been years since I watched the movie and the book is 'essentially' his novelization of the film. But, it's very cleverly done-- its not just a straight fiction using the movie as an outline--it kinda breaks the fourth wall and the author (not Stillman, one of the characters) speaks directly to the reader. It's enjoyable if you like Stillman films.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads