• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like he'd lead with being a creator of The Office and his legendary portrayal of Mose Schrute.

The book grew out of his study of philosophy while creating The Good Place, so it makes perfect sense to me.

Also, if someone is perusing the books in the philosophy section, there’s a pretty good chance they’re a fan of The Good Place.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The book grew out of his study of philosophy while creating The Good Place, so it makes perfect sense to me.
Fair enough. I watched several episodes of the first season with my wife. Not a bad show, and what can you say about Ted Danson...

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Seems like he'd lead with being a creator of The Office and his legendary portrayal of Mose Schrute.
"I'm the valet. You have to give me your keys."

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ADC7D3FB-95C7-49BB-A8BC-F68CE0E67AE5.jpeg

First encountered Irvine on a CBC Ideas podcast. Bought the book in 2014 read it then and after reading the Meditations by Marcus Aurelius decided to dive in again.

Irvine sees Stoicism as a philosophical tool, he is focused on the Roman Stoics,and while I agree with him on this, I also know other philosophical systems which are useful tools. Overall I think occasionally dipping into the Meditations is more my style.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1643678076985.png

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Foxes and Lions: Machiavelli’s Confidence Men, Wayne Rebhorn

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@ValidusLA

I would start with The Lions of Al-Rassan but some would recommend Tigana.

Both are wonderful, wonderful books. It’s been some time since I’ve re-read Tigana, but Lions is very fresh as I just re-read it in 2021 and it’s knocked my socks off… for a second time!

Finished Lions of Al-Rassan couple days ago. Thanks for the reco!

I'm not sure I would classify this as "Fantasy" even, even if the world isn't Earth. This is not a complaint. I liked the book quite a lot.

Regarding comparison to Rothfuss. I'm going to read some more Kay before I decide, and he is a lovely writer, but I still think Rothfuss' prose is superior. Honestly the first chapter (weirdly) of Lions was a bit staccato and I was almost put off. It got much better. Very poignant towards the end.

My one complaint about Lions is that I think in the end there are just a few too many "AHA! Not who you thought!" moments.

I also felt slightly cheated from the emotional payoff of Diego's fate being suddenly reversed. I get that part of the story centers around miraculous doctors, but Jehane doesn't even perform the miracle! And then we never see Diego again?

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just finished this this morning. Pretty entertaining, funny, witty, satire. I can see why this generated the hysteria it did in the 1920s. Next are a biography of George Bird Grinnell and another Sinclair Lewis book, It Can't Happen Here.

IMG_20220205_114630.jpg

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Reading this:
1644081206521.png

It's OK so far, me being 1/3 of the way through. I hope it pays off in the end.

Gus_McCrae

Reaction score
Finished Lions of Al-Rassan couple days ago. Thanks for the reco!

I'm not sure I would classify this as "Fantasy" even, even if the world isn't Earth. This is not a complaint. I liked the book quite a lot.

Regarding comparison to Rothfuss. I'm going to read some more Kay before I decide, and he is a lovely writer, but I still think Rothfuss' prose is superior. Honestly the first chapter (weirdly) of Lions was a bit staccato and I was almost put off. It got much better. Very poignant towards the end.

My one complaint about Lions is that I think in the end there are just a few too many "AHA! Not who you thought!" moments.

I also felt slightly cheated from the emotional payoff of Diego's fate being suddenly reversed. I get that part of the story centers around miraculous doctors, but Jehane doesn't even perform the miracle! And then we never see Diego again?

I’m glad you liked it. Reasonably criticism.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads