• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I went to a couple of midnight shows for the HP movies. Someone has to be a muggle amongst the wizards…
You would be a...dare I say it... mudblood.
I can't remember if I've seen all the movies. I know I've seen five. I also remember a little sad seeing the final one in the theater because it was the end of a huge chunk of my life. There was a dude definitely choking up at the end.

volcanotristate

Reaction score
4D20C909-C928-4A8A-9D2D-6E2DF0431785.jpeg

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You would be a...dare I say it... mudblood.
I can't remember if I've seen all the movies. I know I've seen five. I also remember a little sad seeing the final one in the theater because it was the end of a huge chunk of my life. There was a dude definitely choking up at the end.
Mrs GF & I binged out on the film series at the start time of the June lockdown which we both throughly enjoyed.

Initially the films were released on Boxing Day December and were quite a social event.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mrs GF & I binged out on the film series at the start time of the June lockdown which we both throughly enjoyed.

Initially the films were released on Boxing Day December and were quite a social event.
Boxing day aka my moms bday aka the first day the baggy greens humiliate the poms! I legit like hp. I went as he who should not be named for Halloween
20211022_190220.jpg

Attachments

• 20211224_130405.jpg
    20211224_130405.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 19

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
still working through Wheel of Time series, now on book 10 (Crossroads of Twilight).

Debating for the next series between Sanderson’s Mistborn and his newer series Stormlight.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
still working through Wheel of Time series, now on book 10 (Crossroads of Twilight).

Debating for the next series between Sanderson’s Mistborn and his newer series Stormlight.

No question Stormlight.

They are pretty different. But wait till you read Sandersons WoT to see if you like his longer style. Mistborn is much lighter.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No question Stormlight.

They are pretty different. But wait till you read Sandersons WoT to see if you like his longer style. Mistborn is much lighter.
yup, I figured after I read Sanderson’s ending to WoT it would be a good intro to his style on his own books

Any other authors or series in the same vein you’d recommend?

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yup, I figured after I read Sanderson’s ending to WoT it would be a good intro to his style on his own books

Any other authors or series in the same vein you’d recommend?

Stormlight is hard fantasy.
Mistborn is steampunk light fantasy.

Have you read the Chronicles of Amber?
Malazan Book of the Fallen?
Lies or Locke Lamora?
Abercrombies First Law trilogy?

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Stormlight is hard fantasy.
Mistborn is steampunk light fantasy.

Have you read the Chronicles of Amber?
Malazan Book of the Fallen?
Lies or Locke Lamora?
Abercrombies First Law trilogy?
Haven’t read any of those, will check out.

was previously on a ‘magic’ kick (The Magicians, All Souls/Discovery of Witches, Dresden Files )

Last edited:

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven’t read any of those, will check out.

was previously on a ‘magic’ kick (The Magicians, All Souls/Discovery of Witches, Dresden Files )

Those are def a little lighter than some of what I listed. I never got into Magicians, and Dresden was fun pulp up until recently when the white knightery and shark jumping has gone off the rails.

Chronicles of Amber is 10 books, first 5 are the "Corwin" cycle, second 5 are the "Merlin" cycle. Corwin cycle is probably my top fantasy/sci fi anything after Tolkien. Merlin cycle is good but not as good. They are older from the days of serialized fiction, so not super long.

Lies of Locke Lamora is heavy content presented lightly. Fun, easy, but not pure pulp.

First Law is even heavier material but not as light. Abercrombie writes sarcasm well.

Malazan is very heavy and not for everyone. I would try that last.

EDIT: OH! Patrick Rothfuss. Have you read The Name of the Wind and Doors of Stone? Really fantastic. I would move those above all the rest. Unfortunately we've been waiting for book 3 forever.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Law trilogy is good, but kinda bleak. Lies of Locke Lamorra books get dramatically better after the first one.

And yeah, The Name Of The Wind books are great, but Rothfuss is nearly as bad as George RR Martin at this point.

Oswald Cornelius

Reaction score
I also remember a little sad seeing the final one in the theater because it was the end of a huge chunk of my life. There was a dude definitely choking up at the end.

We took our two oldest to see the first HP movie over Thanksgiving at the little theater in the village in Sun Valley. Kids were 5 and 3. The oldest turned 26 yesterday and their little sister is doing a semester abroad in The Netherlands.... Time, she flies.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We took our two oldest to see the first HP movie over Thanksgiving at the little theater in the village in Sun Valley. Kids were 5 and 3. The oldest turned 26 yesterday and their little sister is doing a semester abroad in The Netherlands.... Time, she flies.
I just watched the 20 year reunion show last night.
It was really good...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads