• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I'm on book 7, I think...
I hate, and I'm saying hate, Faile.
Every page she turns up on, I hope she gets murdered.

Also, let's start listing the ridiculously over-used repetitive phrases Jordan lists every 3 sentences.
I'll start: smile that never touches the eyes.
LOL, just came across this. It’s not even Jordan, at least not entirely. It’s in A Memory of Light, which is one of the Sanderson books:

034FC5B8-132A-49E5-BA6F-FD40FC2E41A8.jpeg

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOL, just came across this. It’s not even Jordan, at least not entirely. It’s in A Memory of Light, which is one of the Sanderson books:

View attachment 1515887
That's hilarious...
I'm sure he kept a cheat sheet for continuity.
Be on the look out for:
Dust motes
Smoothing of skirts
Folding of arms underneath breasts
And of course, 10 billion "light" and "burn me"s.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
That's hilarious...
I'm sure he kept a cheat sheet for continuity.
Be on the look out for:
Dust motes
Smoothing of skirts
Folding of arms underneath breasts
And of course, 10 billion "light" and "burn me"s.
DF120EBA-6DC4-47DD-975D-CB90274D3E84.jpeg

C3F9BEC7-5E9C-4034-B693-CD9318963DCB.jpeg
DF120EBA-6DC4-47DD-975D-CB90274D3E84.jpeg

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm reading right now...
So far tonite, I've had the smile, skirt smoothing, and a dust mote reference.
I really have a love/hate relationship with this series.
The world building, story and characters I like. His repetitiveness, and how he just throws people together and decides, ok, now they are madly in love, drives me crazy.
Lan and Nyneave? So stupid. It happened in a couple pages, and they are dumb together.
Also, I don't need every room and street and people's clothes described for 2 1/2 pages. I'm tending to scan until dialogue shows up again.

( If I'm Lan, I'm climbing on top of Moiraine )

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Yeah, basically hate-read several books in the middle of the series before starting to enjoy it again.
In the last few, Sanderson at least walks back the endless clothing descriptions a bit - a very good thing because it seemed like Jordan had become completely overwhelmed by minutiae and backstories in the last few he completed.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
414lkzX-p6L._SL350_.jpg

I remember reading this many years ago and was captivated. I pulled it off my shelf today to re-read. The first 3 chapters pulled me back in.

Summary.....A Syracuse Univ freshman is raped and beaten. This is the author's story.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finished "The Odds. One Season, Three Gamblers and the Death of their Las Vegas," by Chad Millman

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just read Benjamin Lorr's, "The Secret Life of Groceries. The Dark Miracle of the American Supermarket."

Some parts were familiar as I worked in a supermarket during high school and college.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Rick Bass "The Book of Yaak". I think I meant to get "Winter" instead but this is still very good and touches on the same themes.

(Both are essays from his time living in the Yaak Valley of Montana. This one was much more of cri de coeur to save the valley from environmental damage but they both deal with living in one of the most remote parts of the lower 48).

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Starting The Gene: An Intimate History by Siddhartha Mukherjee today. We'll see if I make it to the end ?

I read his The Emperor of All Maladies when my wife was diagnosed with lymphoma. It was very helpful with understanding what the hell the doctor's were talking about, and it gave me hope that they would eventually get her disease under control. [Spoiler: they did]

anonymouz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read his The Emperor of All Maladies when my wife was diagnosed with lymphoma. It was very helpful with understanding what the hell the doctor's were talking about, and it gave me hope that they would eventually get her disease under control. [Spoiler: they did]
[/QUOTE

Planning to read that one too. He certainly has a gift for explaining medical concepts for the layperson.
Good to hear your wife's situation is under control!

jiredell

Reaction score
Rick Bass "The Book of Yaak". I think I meant to get "Winter" instead but this is still very good and touches on the same themes.

(Both are essays from his time living in the Yaak Valley of Montana. This one was much more of cri de coeur to save the valley from environmental damage but they both deal with living in one of the most remote parts of the lower 48).
Those are both excellent books. I really loved Winter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads