• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just read Nitsana Darshan-Leitner and Samuel m. Katz's "Harpoon Inside the Covert War Against Terrorism's Money Masters"

I'm always amazed how people can smuggle money in suitcases through airports.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just read Nitsana Darshan-Leitner and Samuel m. Katz's "Harpoon Inside the Covert War Against Terrorism's Money Masters"

Long story but i have carried several thousand in cash through airports. The difficulty is when the bag is in the overhead bin

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Long story but i have carried several thousand in cash through airports. The difficulty is when the bag is in the overhead bin
These guys were moving like $70k cash and some of them could make what they call "superbills" and the US didn't care since they were not producing enough.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These guys were moving like $70k cash and some of them could make what they call "superbills" and the US didn't care since they were not producing enough.
Yeah i was carrying like 5k.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just finished an enjoyable read called "Lost Department Stores ofd San Francisco" by Anne Evers Hitz. Had as many pictures as pages.

I remember the Emporium store and I Magnin. Emporium, as a kid, at Christmas, my mom took us to the roof for the rides and then we would go to Woolworth for a snack.

I miss Emporium.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had a half Chinese friend when I was younger, who I totally wished was my girlfriend, and about a year after Tiananmen, she came to visit me in the USA. She had two suitcases, one of which turned out to be... full of money. It was all to help activists escaping from China (we'd been on protests together in Europe and I knew she was involved). She strolled through the inspections like the coolest person in the world. I was so in awe of her...

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a half Chinese friend when I was younger, who I totally wished was my girlfriend, and about a year after Tiananmen, she came to visit me in the USA. She had two suitcases, one of which turned out to be... full of money. It was all to help activists escaping from China (we'd been on protests together in Europe and I knew she was involved). She strolled through the inspections like the coolest person in the world. I was so in awe of her...
I thought they had dogs to sniff these things out and all. And don't they scan all suitcases?

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought they had dogs to sniff these things out and all. And don't they scan all suitcases?

This was 1990... I'm not sure security was up to much in those days. They were still asking whether you were carrying any communist literature...

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have you ever gotten it stolen before or questioned at customs?
Nope. I've also well exceeded the limit of Cuban cigars for personal importation and just said nothing to declare. TBH even though you can smuggle a lot through a carry-on bag considering the sheer volume of passenger traffic and that there's a pretty finite ceiling, I don't think any governments are interested in stopping empires being built or continued one carry on at a time.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Just finished an enjoyable read called "Lost Department Stores ofd San Francisco" by Anne Evers Hitz. Had as many pictures as pages.

I remember the Emporium store and I Magnin. Emporium, as a kid, at Christmas, my mom took us to the roof for the rides and then we would go to Woolworth for a snack.

I miss Emporium.

I worked in I. Magnin’s credit card department, briefly, just before it was acquired by Macy’s. Our office was in the China Basin building, when that was on the edge of nowhere.

Celebrity billing statements were our prime entertainment: Danielle Steele regularly dropped $50,000 at a time.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I worked in I. Magnin’s credit card department, briefly, just before it was acquired by Macy’s. Our office was in the China Basin building, when that was on the edge of nowhere.

Celebrity billing statements were our prime entertainment: Danielle Steele regularly dropped $50,000 at a time.
Only $50k a month?:-D

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Hey that was just one store. I imagine the day's haul would be double or triple that (and inflation has halved the buying power of the dollar since 1990)

A while ago she caught flack for having something like 25 street parking permits.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey that was just one store. I imagine the day's haul would be double or triple that (and inflation has halved the buying power of the dollar since 1990)

A while ago she caught flack for having something like 25 street parking permits.
I remember that. Its funny that with a house in the tens of millions that it lacks a adequate parking and why does she need that many cars?!

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Am currently laboring through American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis on the second attempt to beat it.
It's not a well-written book and in places very boring, not to mention controversial, however it does appear on some lists of "100 books you should read b4 you die".
Having said that, the protagonist is into male attire, drops brand names, some of which are still staples here, and in places it reads like it could have been written by one of the regulars in WAYWRN on classic menswear )
For example...
psycho.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads