• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
aside from textbooks, Juliana Hatfield's memoir When I Grow Up. Which consists primarily of her whining about being insecure. And one short chapter detailing her various drug-addict boyfriends without being specific enough to identify them.

Much preferred Dean Wareham's book on life inside the indie-rock world.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by milosz
aside from textbooks, Juliana Hatfield's memoir When I Grow Up. Which consists primarily of her whining about being insecure. And one short chapter detailing her various drug-addict boyfriends without being specific enough to identify them.

Much preferred Dean Wareham's book on life inside the indie-rock world.

I'm sure one of the boyfriends was Evan Dando based on their song My drug buddy.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jordan Peterson's Maps of Meaning

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rdawson808

Instead, I have started Alain de Botton's The Architecture of Happiness.

b

This is a future read for me; please post what you think after.

mr.loverman

Reaction score
no one should ever read the absurd garbage that chuck palahniuk ***** out. he is a talentless asshole who relies solely on his ability to shock. his work has absolutely no substance and is only taken seriously by gullible and tasteless hipsters who read books simply to impress their friends.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
I am trying to give up television completely.

Mad Men is my one and only temptation, so I think I might soften my cravings by reading some F. Scott Fitzgerald. I used the cliff notes to pass the test on Gatsby in high school... and am sure I would have enjoyed reading the book were I not more interested in potential poon than books and learning in high school.

I recently reread The Great Gatsby. Fitzgerald's a master.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Just finished up The Picture of Dorian Grey. Love this book. I've read it 4 times now.

Next on the list is either Atlas Shrugged, The Stranger, or The Maltese Falcon.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Just finished up The Picture of Dorian Grey. Love this book. I've read it 4 times now. Next on the list is either Atlas Shrugged, The Stranger, or The Maltese Falcon.
Maltese
. Like I said on IM, don't bother with Rand. I'm currently doing A Cure for Night by (forget the author's first name) Peacock. Reading a bunch of assorted books for classes. I'm also like 40 pages in to The Road but I am already reading far too much.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I never got around to reading the fitzgerald.

I've been reading 'blue like jazz' here and there recently. It is similar to the little Anne Lamont i've read, very fresh ideas on religion and christian spirituality.

robbie

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm working my way through Fitzgerald, recently finished the Beautiful and Damned and just picked up This Side of Paradise. He's one of few authors who can completely immerse me in another time and place, on a very superficial escapist level its like watching a 1920s version of Dallas set on the east coast.

I'm actually reading Pynchon's 'V' at the moment. I was put off by the size of it having found the slim crying of lot 49 very dense (though enjoyable), but so far its a fun easy read.

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Decided to take a break from 18th & 19th century Britain... am currently on 'A Confederacy Of Dunces', by John Kennedy Toole.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just finished Sea of Poppies and next up is Consider the Lobster by DFW.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Maltese. Like I said on IM, don't bother with Rand.

I'm currently doing A Cure for Night by (forget the author's first name) Peacock. Reading a bunch of assorted books for classes. I'm also like 40 pages in to The Road but I am already reading far too much.

My vote would be for The Maltese Falcon as well. I read a few of Hammett's books a few years ago and then went on to some Raymond Chandler. Good stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads