• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you reading?

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Midterm assignments
plain.gif

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Why not his translation of Pushkin's "Evgeni Onegin"?

Because it's a translation.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano BuendÃa was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.

Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally finished the 630pp of The Time of Our Singing. The final 3 pages made for a terrific ending that makes you realise you were unknowingly reading a book of a different genre than you thought. I won't spoil it, but this is a great book.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
"Call me Ishmael" is up there too, in that it manages to encapsulate a major theme in the first three words.

Flabby. Blondie did it in 2.

lawyerdad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
Finally finished the 630pp of The Time of Our Singing. The final 3 pages made for a terrific ending that makes you realise you were unknowingly reading a book of a different genre than you thought. I won't spoil it, but this is a great book.

I'm not sure I get your point about the last 3 pages - I'll have to re-read them when I get home tonight - but I agree in general about the books. Powers is one brilliant guy. My favorite is still The Gold Bug Variations, but that's probably b/c it's the first thing of his I read.

nioh

Reaction score
Back to an old favourite..

Niccolo Machiavelli The Prince (Oxford World's Classics) (Paperback)

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaga
If my memory serves me correctly, The Mysterious Mr. Quin is an odd departure from form by the Dame. I fondly remember correctly the restaurant Arlecchino. I am debating whether to purchase the new Anthony Bourdain book.
The odd departure for Dame Christie, I feel, was "Passenger to Frankfurt". Another odd one was "The Dressmaker's Doll"--more like a Shirley Jackson story.
Originally Posted by lawyerdad
Because it's a translation.
Some translations are better than others especially given that translations receive Book of the Year prizes.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I get your point about the last 3 pages - I'll have to re-read them when I get home tonight - but I agree in general about the books. Powers is one brilliant guy. My favorite is still The Gold Bug Variations, but that's probably b/c it's the first thing of his I read.
My point has to do with who the little boy at the concert turns out to be. Tied in with David's theories about the physics of time, it seemed to me to shift the book into a SF/fantasy resolution that I had not been expecting.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now reading The Good Husband of Zebra Drive. This is the 8th book in McCall Smith's series and I think he has now taken what was an innovative and fresh idea, and devolved it into soap opera. I have tried all his other series, and they all seem unbearable. I think I must have been over-rating him, and I think this will be the last of him that I read. That said, someone should still go out and make a film of the first one, with Morgan Freeman playing Matekone and maybe Queen Latifah as Precious.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano BuendÃa was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice.

Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.

Literary starter kit

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads