1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by chorse123, Mar 13, 2006.

1. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Senior member

Here you go: Esquire has been publishing short stories from what we now consider literary giants since 1933. This book collects short fiction from their inception to somewhere near the present. You've got classics from Hemingway and Fitzgerald to cutting edge authors like David Foster Wallace. Antistory <--- this book changed the way I look at fiction. I stumbled upon it at age 16 and I've passed it along to friends, and have had to fight to get it back. I am amazed it is available, actually. After you are done this you will want to read more Barthelme, I reckon.

2. Spatlese

Spatlese Senior member

^ The esquire compilation is a good recommendation.

3. nootje

nootje Senior member

Something written about the nag hammadi scrolls...Just bought a version of the I tjing, so that will be next..

4. jimbo123

jimbo123 Senior member

Here you go:

Esquire has been publishing short stories from what we now consider literary giants since 1933. This book collects short fiction from their inception to somewhere near the present. You've got classics from Hemingway and Fitzgerald to cutting edge authors like David Foster Wallace.

Antistory <--- this book changed the way I look at fiction. I stumbled upon it at age 16 and I've passed it along to friends, and have had to fight to get it back. I am amazed it is available, actually. After you are done this you will want to read more Barthelme, I reckon.

thanks very much. Reviews look good I'll probably order next week.

5. jhao

jhao Senior member

El Genio de Alejandro Magno by Nicholas Hammond

6. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

Can anyone recommend me a book with a collection of short stories.

I don't have a particular preference but I like compelling or inspiring material. No dirty books please!

I would recommend Andre Dubus, Hemmingway, or Flannery O'Connor. American short story writing at its best.

7. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

I don't have a particular preference but I like compelling or inspiring material. No dirty books please!

[​IMG]

8. oDD_LotS

oDD_LotS Senior member

I received several new books for Christmas, so in addition to the books I was working on in my last post (most I left back at my house when I came to visit family this week), I'm also working through:

Garnishing: A Feast for Your Eyes &amp;
    Emily Post's The Etiquette Advantage in Business by Peggy and Peter Post

Nothing heavy, but certainly interesting material. I've got a few more in my room waiting to join the &quot;to read&quot; pile, including 3 or 4 books on typography, Two Paths to One God, and a couple of cook books.

9. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

What We Talk About When We Talk About Love

10. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Last night with a B&N giftcard I picked up The Making of a Chef by Michael Ruhlman. I really like Ruhlman's writing style. It's also pretty cool to see the similarities between his schooling and what he thought of it and what I'm going through right now. Good stuff. I also got his second book in the series The Soul of a Chef and plan on picking up his newest, The Reach of a Chef. Great stuff.

Still working through Rand, and recently found an old, old copy of The Runner's Handbook which was basically my Bible when I was in high school. It's interesting to skim through it again.

11. milosz

milosz Senior member

starting Seven Days in the Art World

12. limping_decorum

limping_decorum Senior member

ordered four books by ross macdonald.... the underground man the moving target sleeping beauty the zebra striped hearse after those...four more books left of his to read.

13. likeitaloud

likeitaloud Senior member

[​IMG]

Almost done; I recommend it to anyone, I think very few people would not find this interesting and useful.

14. Joe E Taleo

Joe E Taleo Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Rainbow Stories was particularly important to me, I think in the same way Antistory was important to DDML.

15. mert54

mert54 Senior member

A Clockwork Orange for the first time.
    A book ab out Klezmer music, which I don't intend to finish, but it is fun to read

16. samurai

samurai Senior member

Jeffrey Archer writes good short stories. Try "A Quiver Full Of Arrows."

17. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

18. Spatlese

Spatlese Senior member

Fried Chicken: An American Story, by John T. Edge

19. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

20. why

why Senior member

German dictionary