• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What are you reading?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's always interesting seeing someone take and discuss Harry Potter "seriously", and I don't mean that pejoratively. My wife is a huge Harry Potter fan. I mean, we have annual passes to Universal almost exclusively for the Harry Potter theme park. She has a wand and a robe that she will wear when we go there. She has all the books, the movies, and if it's on TV (which it seems to always be), she'll have it on in the background while she's cooking or doing other things. I was very cynical and "too cool" for it when we started dating. In the 10 years since, I've come to enjoy it. I've never read any of the books, but I do genuinely like the movies. They are just fun, playful, and lack the meanness/sarcasm/cynicism that is so prevalent now. And I agree that as the serious progresses, the story becomes more complex with more mature themes. You can literally see it in the movies with the coloring/tone of the filming (not sure what the actual film term is for it, but if you look at pretty much an scene in the Deathly Hallows movies vs. any scene in the Sorcerer's Stone, it's a very different/dark tone in the later movies). For context, we're mid/late 30's and now have a 6-year-old son who loves it, too.
The studio chose the Directors with that intent. Starting off with Chris Columbus then graduating to edgier Directors toward the end. Over the years we ended up buying:

- all the hardcovers (the last four at midnight bookstore release parties as my son was insistent on reading them ASAP)
- all the audio books in CD format in the American releases read by Jim Dale and then later (for my daughter) in the UK versions read by Stephen Fry
- all the movies seen in the theater
- DVDs of all the movies and later the Blu-ray versions
- all the Playstation or PC games
- movie posters for their rooms and numerous HP tchotchkes as Christmas gifts
- probably some stuff I'm missing

I'd like to thing JK owns a really cool watch and wifey and I paid for it indirectly. :oops:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I went to a couple of midnight shows for the HP movies. Someone has to be a muggle amongst the wizards…
You would be a...dare I say it... mudblood.
I can't remember if I've seen all the movies. I know I've seen five. I also remember a little sad seeing the final one in the theater because it was the end of a huge chunk of my life. There was a dude definitely choking up at the end.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You would be a...dare I say it... mudblood.
I can't remember if I've seen all the movies. I know I've seen five. I also remember a little sad seeing the final one in the theater because it was the end of a huge chunk of my life. There was a dude definitely choking up at the end.
Mrs GF & I binged out on the film series at the start time of the June lockdown which we both throughly enjoyed.

Initially the films were released on Boxing Day December and were quite a social event.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mrs GF & I binged out on the film series at the start time of the June lockdown which we both throughly enjoyed.

Initially the films were released on Boxing Day December and were quite a social event.
Boxing day aka my moms bday aka the first day the baggy greens humiliate the poms! I legit like hp. I went as he who should not be named for Halloween
20211022_190220.jpg

Attachments

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
still working through Wheel of Time series, now on book 10 (Crossroads of Twilight).

Debating for the next series between Sanderson’s Mistborn and his newer series Stormlight.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
still working through Wheel of Time series, now on book 10 (Crossroads of Twilight).

Debating for the next series between Sanderson’s Mistborn and his newer series Stormlight.
No question Stormlight.

They are pretty different. But wait till you read Sandersons WoT to see if you like his longer style. Mistborn is much lighter.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No question Stormlight.

They are pretty different. But wait till you read Sandersons WoT to see if you like his longer style. Mistborn is much lighter.
yup, I figured after I read Sanderson’s ending to WoT it would be a good intro to his style on his own books

Any other authors or series in the same vein you’d recommend?

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yup, I figured after I read Sanderson’s ending to WoT it would be a good intro to his style on his own books

Any other authors or series in the same vein you’d recommend?
Stormlight is hard fantasy.
Mistborn is steampunk light fantasy.

Have you read the Chronicles of Amber?
Malazan Book of the Fallen?
Lies or Locke Lamora?
Abercrombies First Law trilogy?

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Stormlight is hard fantasy.
Mistborn is steampunk light fantasy.

Have you read the Chronicles of Amber?
Malazan Book of the Fallen?
Lies or Locke Lamora?
Abercrombies First Law trilogy?
Haven’t read any of those, will check out.

was previously on a ‘magic’ kick (The Magicians, All Souls/Discovery of Witches, Dresden Files )

Last edited:

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven’t read any of those, will check out.

was previously on a ‘magic’ kick (The Magicians, All Souls/Discovery of Witches, Dresden Files )
Those are def a little lighter than some of what I listed. I never got into Magicians, and Dresden was fun pulp up until recently when the white knightery and shark jumping has gone off the rails.

Chronicles of Amber is 10 books, first 5 are the "Corwin" cycle, second 5 are the "Merlin" cycle. Corwin cycle is probably my top fantasy/sci fi anything after Tolkien. Merlin cycle is good but not as good. They are older from the days of serialized fiction, so not super long.

Lies of Locke Lamora is heavy content presented lightly. Fun, easy, but not pure pulp.

First Law is even heavier material but not as light. Abercrombie writes sarcasm well.

Malazan is very heavy and not for everyone. I would try that last.

EDIT: OH! Patrick Rothfuss. Have you read The Name of the Wind and Doors of Stone? Really fantastic. I would move those above all the rest. Unfortunately we've been waiting for book 3 forever.

SixOhNine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First Law trilogy is good, but kinda bleak. Lies of Locke Lamorra books get dramatically better after the first one.

And yeah, The Name Of The Wind books are great, but Rothfuss is nearly as bad as George RR Martin at this point.

Oswald Cornelius

Reaction score
I also remember a little sad seeing the final one in the theater because it was the end of a huge chunk of my life. There was a dude definitely choking up at the end.
We took our two oldest to see the first HP movie over Thanksgiving at the little theater in the village in Sun Valley. Kids were 5 and 3. The oldest turned 26 yesterday and their little sister is doing a semester abroad in The Netherlands.... Time, she flies.

Featured Sponsor

What do you spend most of your clothing budget on?

• Outerwear

• Tailoring

• Sportswear

• Footwear

• Accessories

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brummie