• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What are you reading?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It was my favourite Tolkien by far, when I was a teenager; the only one that seemed to capture the genuinely mythic that he was aiming or. Haven't read it for years.
Yeah it's incredibly evocative and more of the high fantasy than LOTR (and The Hobbit, duh). Just getting to when the Silmarils were hidden away. It's some dense shit, though.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just finished Roman Honor by Carlin Barton

One of the best nonfiction books I've read. Very insightful, her theories might not all be correct but it's always interesting. Gives a history of Roman culture as well as relates concepts to our modern society.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I picked this up in 2016 and couldn't get into it. For whatever reason now it is fantastic.
15688135877344242826513621122640.jpg

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous, by Ocean Vuong

A first person account written from the perspective of a young man who was born in Vietnam, but lives in America. It tells his story as a letter to his illiterate mother while also recounting her story of life during and after the Vietnam War, as well as the story of his grandmother.

I’m more than half done already, after starting it late last night.

5ADE1618-24A7-4915-8FEF-F2A50BD43C5E.jpeg

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh.. I was asked to write essay by this book. Really worth it
My version is the sixth edition of the initial British run so the translation is a little bit dated--and I have no idea if there are other translations floating around. However, I think the datedness really captures the dry semi-ireverant Scandinavian humor. It's also good because Heyerdahl is also very direct like a lot of those people from shithole Northern Euroweenie countries so it works very well.

mariopepper

Reaction score
My version is the sixth edition of the initial British run so the translation is a little bit dated--and I have no idea if there are other translations floating around. However, I think the datedness really captures the dry semi-ireverant Scandinavian humor. It's also good because Heyerdahl is also very direct like a lot of those people from shithole Northern Euroweenie countries so it works very well.
Fully agree with you. What about other books of Thor Heyerdahl? Especially I liked The Maldive Mystery. It's nor as old as kon tiki or aku-aku (good book too) but also quite ineresting for me..

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Thought this might be of interest to the thread:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Plane/travel reading
15692678290024077245778322986611.jpg

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you read and enjoyed the lost city of z you will enjoy this book. However if you have not read the lost city of z and enjoy adventurous thrilling writing grounded in history and archaeology you should read that first. You should also read it if you just enjoy a good entertaining and informative book.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Amongst many other things, I read Edward Snowden's autobiography, Permanent Record, on my journey through Russia. It's really quite interesting.

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About a third through East of Eden by Steinbeck. One of the characters is the most contemptible I've ever read, hopefully she gets what she deserves (no spoilers)

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.