• We would like to welcome Craftsman Clothing back as an official Affiliate Vendor. Craftsman Clothing is a brand for the refined men who want to look good with minimal effort, and care about products that are well-made. In additon to being a go-to brand for all things essential, Craftsman Clothing also offers bespoke outerwear that’s uniquely crafted for you. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What are you reading?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In a slightly dystopian Germany near future, a couple of people make scads of money connecting those who wish to off themselves with organizations who need their services as suicide bombers.

09FB8EC9-10CB-43F8-AB5F-4CDF4AB15EE0.jpeg

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been reading everything I can by Osamu Dazai, a Japanese novelist famous for his dissolute lifestyle as much as his books: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osamu_Dazai

However, No Longer Human is really excellent, and Setting Sun also worth reading. His works tend to be semi-autobiographical, with aristocratic protagonists fallen on hard times or who have been disowned by their families for their bad behaviour or low artistic ambitions.

After several attempts, some jointly with women, Dazai finally succeeded in killing himself at the age of 39, which just seems to have added to his appeal.
DId you say you are based in Tokyo? I will be there for work the 13-20. We're basically the same person online (but I'm more boring IRL).

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DId you say you are based in Tokyo? I will be there for work the 13-20. We're basically the same person online (but I'm more boring IRL).
I may be more interesting IRL, I don't know. I'm not in Tokyo right now, but will be between October and January.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I may be more interesting IRL, I don't know. I'm not in Tokyo right now, but will be between October and January.
I meant 13-20 of October. You should have been able to divine that from my ambiguous text, good sir.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I meant 13-20 of October. You should have been able to divine that from my ambiguous text, good sir.
Well, having fallen into your trap, it seems I'll be unable to avoid you in a city of 38 million people, damn! But seriously, drop me a line nearer the time. I'm going to be pretty much incommunicado between this weekend and October 7th as my family and I will be travelling from Copenhagen (where we are now) to Tokyo by trains and ferries with stops in various places inbetween.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
my family and I will be travelling from Copenhagen (where we are now) to Tokyo by trains and ferries with stops in various places inbetween.
That sounds like an amazing trip - I hope you'll post about it at some point.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been working my way through the 'Martin Beck' novels written by Swedish husband and wife team, Maj Sjowall and Per Wahloo. They pretty much invented the modern Scandanavian police procedural and the critical social crime novel with this 10-book series which runs from the mid-sixties to the mid-seventies. Most of the novels are excellent. There are a couple of not-so-good ones, including Murder at the Savoy and the The Abominable Man (6 and 7), in which the politics outweigh the plot and character development rather than balancing them, and the second one, The Man Who Went Up in Smoke, is just a bit of an oddity and doesn't really fit very well with the rest, but in general this series still stands up and is not a historical curiosity.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I grew up with my parents having a set of the Sjöwall / Wahlöö novels and I have fond memories of reading all of them in my early teens (though no detailed recollection of the individual books, as that was more than three decades ago).

Recently I finished The Penguin Book of Japanese Short Stories, which was quite enjoyable.

I plan to start Dune next.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oedipus Rex

I will be seeing it next week in "traditional" Greek theater next week. It holds up well after 2500 years.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@Kaplan is, like, super old.

So I'm bouncing between Caro's first LBJ book (still) and the Silmarillion. AKA: I got some slogs of books on my plate. I will probably break it up with something else I have when I get home tonight. What doesn't help things with the Silmarillion is that I have the Ted Naismith illustrated edition so it's a 40-pound book.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I picked up this at home. Then I realized I just don't care enough about Karajan's biography nor do I know enough to appreciate the theory of Karajan qua conductor.

Honestly I'll probably just pick up a Crichton or James Patterson book.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@Kaplan is, like, super old.

So I'm bouncing between Caro's first LBJ book (still) and the Silmarillion. AKA: I got some slogs of books on my plate. I will probably break it up with something else I have when I get home tonight. What doesn't help things with the Silmarillion is that I have the Ted Naismith illustrated edition so it's a 40-pound book.
I just got through reading the Silmarillion for, like, the sixth time in my life.

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.