• We would like to welcome Craftsman Clothing back as an official Affiliate Vendor. Craftsman Clothing is a brand for the refined men who want to look good with minimal effort, and care about products that are well-made. In additon to being a go-to brand for all things essential, Craftsman Clothing also offers bespoke outerwear that’s uniquely crafted for you. Please visit their thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What are you reading?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Someday I will finish Gravity’s Rainbow.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought Rand was the shit when I was young and clueless in my early twenties... I wish someone had told me back then that she was full of shit.
For some reason which always escaped me The Fountainhead was very popular amongst a number of architectural students/friends at Sydney Uni in the early 80’s.

Personally I tried to read Atlas Shrugged but gave up. Always thought her work and its philosophy of individualism to be ethically and morally bankrupt. Can see why such vacuous crap is popular in the current global political climate.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally I tried to read Atlas Shrugged but gave up. Always thought her work and its philosophy of individualism to be ethically and morally bankrupt. Can see why such vacuous crap is popular in the current global political climate.
I do think a lot of libertarian ideas like personal responsibility could be a good guide to lead one’s own life but they are best not applied in macro scale; like as a guideline for setting a social policy(maybe other than legalizing most of the drugs).

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brave New World - pretty amazing book frankly, very interesting insight into human nature.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I’m always amused when someone thinks I chose my handle as an homage to Rand.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m always amused when someone thinks I chose my handle as an homage to Rand.
It's clear you're saying "I'm at Las".

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted to read Atlas Shrugged or the Fountainhead, but I've known people who read it and suck it up lock, stock, and barrel, tp the point that they feel Rand's objectivism answers all questions. When they answer my challenges with "you just have to read the book to understand" it feels very much like a cult. which keeps me away.

Right now I am reading three four books, Adam Gollner's The Fruit Hunters which is like a series of vignettes about various fruits, their history, and the people who are crazy about them. I am really interested in the history of cultivated fruits and vegetables. On that note I am also reading Of Cabbages and Kings which is a slim volume a little more focused on the history of fruits and vegetables, and is lushly illustrated with Renaissance paintings, botanical engravings, and the like, but which focuses more directly on where various crops orginated geographically and how they came to be cultivated. Third is Fin-De-Siecle Vienna: Politics and Culture which is about the artistic and philosophical thought present in Vienna at the dawn of the last century. I've always been fascinated with that time from an aesthetic point of view; the end of Art Nouveau and the dawn of Deco and the rise of Arts and Crafts. It's pretty heavy duty, though. The fourth is a good, but fluffy, fiction anthology.

Coldsnap

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rare thrift store find.. in a college town DFW is snatched up instantly at used book stores, especially thrifts. Couple stories in and really enjoying it, it's the format I like DFW the best in. I'm far into Infinite Jest, while I like it, I much rather read his shorter stories.

brief-interviews-with-hideous-men-1.jpg

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brave New World - pretty amazing book frankly, very interesting insight into human nature.
I recently finished this one. I liked it but I think 1984 was more engaging.

Rape of Nanking should be required reading in every high school. A shameful number of educated people are entirely unaware of the atrocities committed by the Japanese - a focus of the author in part of the book.

I’m about 200 pages into Rise and Fall. I thought it would be a little dry but it’s exceptional and hard to put down at times.

0A762C18-AF18-4CA1-A274-25F47393AAF6.jpeg

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Reader tip: Rise and Fall is not a tragedy.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been reading everything I can by Osamu Dazai, a Japanese novelist famous for his dissolute lifestyle as much as his books: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osamu_Dazai

However, No Longer Human is really excellent, and Setting Sun also worth reading. His works tend to be semi-autobiographical, with aristocratic protagonists fallen on hard times or who have been disowned by their families for their bad behaviour or low artistic ambitions.

After several attempts, some jointly with women, Dazai finally succeeded in killing himself at the age of 39, which just seems to have added to his appeal.

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.