• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What are you reading?

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Much less weight than Endo, I am continuing on my Japanese crime fiction kick, reading everything I can by Keigo Higashino, who turns out to warrant his popularity (which certainly isn't always the case with crime and mystery writers). Although the 'Detective Galileo' series for which he is best known is pretty good, it's his standalone novels that really impress, notably Journey Under the Midnight Sun. His work is giving me some food for thought for my own first crime novel, which I'm about 1/3 of the way through at the moment...

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Much less weight than Endo, I am continuing on my Japanese crime fiction kick, reading everything I can by Keigo Higashino, who turns out to warrant his popularity (which certainly isn't always the case with crime and mystery writers). Although the 'Detective Galileo' series for which he is best known is pretty good, it's his standalone novels that really impress, notably Journey Under the Midnight Sun. His work is giving me some food for thought for my own first crime novel, which I'm about 1/3 of the way through at the moment...
Can you read Japanese or is there just more English language translation available over there? I'm also assuming you're a cracker.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you read Japanese or is there just more English language translation available over there? I'm also assuming you're a cracker.
I'm very English but my wife is Japanese. My Japanese language reading ability isn't fast enough for reading novels for pleasure, so I'm reading the, I think, only translation available on Kindle...

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do Podcasts count? I have never seen a what podcast are you listening to thread. Anyway, I have been using the shutdown to catch up on the The History of Rome podcast. Incredible and I love that they are under 30 minutes (I have never followed podcasts because they are either too long and/or long winded).

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've run out of Japanese crime novels to read and I'm now reading Norwegian crime novels instead, by Kjell Ola Dahl... I'm quite enjoying them although he does seem to have a particular obsession with voyeurism.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm reading Dune for the first time.

Nikos

Reaction score
I received a copy of Haruki Murakami's Killing Commendatore from a friend. If some of you already read his novel I'm certain that this bingo card is somewhat reliable in telling you what to expect of his works.
Very accurate.
Currently reading Kafka on the Shore, and am enjoying it.

Nikos

Reaction score

Glad you liked it. I have meant to read Journey Under the Midnight Sun for a while now.

majorhancock

Reaction score

This sounds like a fun read. I heard a funny anecdote recently about the British royal household staff. Evidently (perhaps this book elaborates), the royals have generally preferred to hire gay men as service staff because they are usually unattached and can go anywhere, anytime without having to worry about their families. The anecdote said that once, on the royal yacht Brittania, the late Queen Mother yelled down the communications tubing late one night from her cabin to the kitchen: "I don't know what you queens are up to down there, but this old queen needs a gin and tonic."

Last edited:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite type of loafer?

• Tassel loafers

• Penny loafers

• Horsebit loafers