1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by chorse123, Mar 13, 2006.

1. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Distinguished Member

Much less weight than Endo, I am continuing on my Japanese crime fiction kick, reading everything I can by Keigo Higashino, who turns out to warrant his popularity (which certainly isn't always the case with crime and mystery writers). Although the 'Detective Galileo' series for which he is best known is pretty good, it's his standalone novels that really impress, notably Journey Under the Midnight Sun. His work is giving me some food for thought for my own first crime novel, which I'm about 1/3 of the way through at the moment...

2. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Stylish Dinosaur

Can you read Japanese or is there just more English language translation available over there? I'm also assuming you're a cracker.

3. FlyingMonkey

I'm very English but my wife is Japanese. My Japanese language reading ability isn't fast enough for reading novels for pleasure, so I'm reading the, I think, only translation available on Kindle...

4. Fueco

Fueco Stylish Dinosaur

Audiobook...

4A5A8702-FAB0-473B-96C9-480F6F1A193C.png

5. Joffrey

Joffrey Stylish Dinosaur

Do Podcasts count? I have never seen a what podcast are you listening to thread. Anyway, I have been using the shutdown to catch up on the The History of Rome podcast. Incredible and I love that they are under 30 minutes (I have never followed podcasts because they are either too long and/or long winded).

6. FlyingMonkey

I've run out of Japanese crime novels to read and I'm now reading Norwegian crime novels instead, by Kjell Ola Dahl... I'm quite enjoying them although he does seem to have a particular obsession with voyeurism.

7. Fueco

Fueco Stylish Dinosaur

Continuing a series I haven’t read for 5+ years. Hawke is still a favorite character. I’ve read 1/5th of the book in the past 24 hours.

A211AFF0-6FDB-4F08-A732-F60163DDEF62.jpeg

8. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

I'm reading Dune for the first time.

9. Nikos

Nikos Senior Member

Very accurate.
    Currently reading Kafka on the Shore, and am enjoying it.

10. Nikos

Nikos Senior Member

Glad you liked it. I have meant to read Journey Under the Midnight Sun for a while now.

11. majorhancock

majorhancock Well-Known Member

This sounds like a fun read. I heard a funny anecdote recently about the British royal household staff. Evidently (perhaps this book elaborates), the royals have generally preferred to hire gay men as service staff because they are usually unattached and can go anywhere, anytime without having to worry about their families. The anecdote said that once, on the royal yacht Brittania, the late Queen Mother yelled down the communications tubing late one night from her cabin to the kitchen: "I don't know what you queens are up to down there, but this old queen needs a gin and tonic."

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019

12. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Distinguished Member

Hell yea. One of my favorites.

I'm starting The Gone World in a few days, I hear good things.

13. suitforcourt

suitforcourt Distinguished Member

14. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

It’s such a good book. It really straddles the genres of fantasy and science fiction.

15. Coffandcig

Coffandcig Active Member

Going back and re-reading some econ books.

513BZQEWHWL._SX309_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg