• We would like to welcome Ratio Clothing as an official Affiliate Vendor. Ratio Clothing specializes in American-made custom shirts offered at a fair price with guaranteed perfect fit. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What are you reading?

graywayne

Reaction score
I received a copy of Haruki Murakami's Killing Commendatore from a friend. If some of you already read his novel I'm certain that this bingo card is somewhat reliable in telling you what to expect of his works.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I started this on Tuesday. Appr 45 pages left.

A very well done bio of his body of work...mainly running CAA. He is very candid throughout the book.
I did like that it starts with the David Letterman/Leno/Tonight Show fiasco which he ended up being a part of behind the scenes.

4/5 at this point.

Edit....finished this on Thurs. Solid 4. Nothing groundbreaking but a good book about CAA/Hollywood/entertainment/etc.

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Red Moon by Kim Stanley Robinson. New York 2140 was very good, probably because Robinson has a feel for New York and New Yorkers. In Red Moon, he seems to be trying both to deal with the rise of China but he's (inevitably) not got the same depth of understanding of contemporary China. The main characters are engaging and there are some good set-pieces on the Moon itself, but too much of the book is basically a tedious chase back and forth to and from and across the Moon, without much more than that to drive the plot, and the ending - well, you'll just have to see, but rarely do you see an ending so blatantly say 'you're going to have to wait for the next book' than this.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm really enjoying this edition. Not gonna lie I, like most people I suppose, need some help reading my boy Shakespeare. This is sometimes too helpful but I also suppose its better to be too helpful than not enough.

Spoiler alert: Lear is craycray.

61yeaSxtGoL.jpg

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, I definitely recommend it.
Thanks. I just read The Agony and the Ecstasy, about the life of Michelangelo and just started Clan of the Cave Bear.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been reading the work of Paul Tevis, who wrote three novels that were later made into successful films: The Hustler, The Color of Money and The Man Who Fell to Earth. I can't think of many people who've had so many of their novels filmed so well, especially considering he only wrote 6 novels and died relatively young. The one I've enjoyed most of his has been Mockingbird, an effective post-apocalyptic novel in which the last remaining humans are provided for by robots who seem intent on stopping them breeding...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Tevis

Last edited:

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I started New York Trilogy by Paul Auster. Finished book/story 1 (City of Glass) and I'm perplexed. I am going to force myself to finish the other 2 books/stories included (thankfully they appear shorter).

bencap

Reaction score
Red Moon by Kim Stanley Robinson. New York 2140 was very good, probably because Robinson has a feel for New York and New Yorkers. In Red Moon, he seems to be trying both to deal with the rise of China but he's (inevitably) not got the same depth of understanding of contemporary China. The main characters are engaging and there are some good set-pieces on the Moon itself, but too much of the book is basically a tedious chase back and forth to and from and across the Moon, without much more than that to drive the plot, and the ending - well, you'll just have to see, but rarely do you see an ending so blatantly say 'you're going to have to wait for the next book' than this.
As a big fan of sci-fi/"speculative fiction", I've been meaning to start digging into Robinson's output because I've heard a lot of good things. Is this the first book of his you've read, or do you have a recommendation for a good one to start with?

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a big fan of sci-fi/"speculative fiction", I've been meaning to start digging into Robinson's output because I've heard a lot of good things. Is this the first book of his you've read, or do you have a recommendation for a good one to start with?
He's been writing a number of loosely-linked books connected to a post-climate change future: 2312, New York 2140 and Aurora. I'd start with those and then maybe go back to the Mars Trilogy if you decide you like his stuff. However, my personal favourite novels of his are his stand-alone ones that play with history: The Years of Rice and Salt and Galileo's Dream.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been reading some older Japanese crime fiction by Seicho Matsumoto: Inspector Imanishi Investigates, which is really evocative of the time just before the 1964 Tokyo Olympics but which relies on an unintentionally hilarious plot twist and a series of unlikely coincidences, and A Quiet Place, which I am currently enjoying.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Silence by shusaku endo

Featured Sponsor

HOW OFTEN DO YOU SHOP FOR CLOTHES ONLINE?

• I mainly buy my clothes online.

• I shop online only if there is a sale.

• I shop online when shipping and returns are free.

• I shop in store only for very expensive items I want to try on.

• I mainly shop in store.

Results are only viewable after voting.