1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by chorse123, Mar 13, 2006.

1. graywayne

graywayne Member

I received a copy of Haruki Murakami's Killing Commendatore from a friend. If some of you already read his novel I'm certain that this bingo card is somewhat reliable in telling you what to expect of his works. [​IMG]

2. ter1413

ter1413 Stylish Dinosaur

[​IMG]

I started this on Tuesday. Appr 45 pages left.

A very well done bio of his body of work...mainly running CAA. He is very candid throughout the book.
    I did like that it starts with the David Letterman/Leno/Tonight Show fiasco which he ended up being a part of behind the scenes.

4/5 at this point.

Edit....finished this on Thurs. Solid 4. Nothing groundbreaking but a good book about CAA/Hollywood/entertainment/etc.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018

3. life_interrupts

life_interrupts Distinguished Member

The Gatekeepers, by Chris Whipple.

4. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Distinguished Member

Red Moon by Kim Stanley Robinson. New York 2140 was very good, probably because Robinson has a feel for New York and New Yorkers. In Red Moon, he seems to be trying both to deal with the rise of China but he's (inevitably) not got the same depth of understanding of contemporary China. The main characters are engaging and there are some good set-pieces on the Moon itself, but too much of the book is basically a tedious chase back and forth to and from and across the Moon, without much more than that to drive the plot, and the ending - well, you'll just have to see, but rarely do you see an ending so blatantly say 'you're going to have to wait for the next book' than this.
    [​IMG]

5. Joffrey

Joffrey Stylish Dinosaur

6. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Stylish Dinosaur

I'm really enjoying this edition. Not gonna lie I, like most people I suppose, need some help reading my boy Shakespeare. This is sometimes too helpful but I also suppose its better to be too helpful than not enough.

Spoiler alert: Lear is craycray.

61yeaSxtGoL.jpg

7. HORNS

HORNS Stylish Dinosaur

Thanks. I just read The Agony and the Ecstasy, about the life of Michelangelo and just started Clan of the Cave Bear.

8. edinatlanta

[​IMG]

9. FlyingMonkey

I've been reading the work of Paul Tevis, who wrote three novels that were later made into successful films: The Hustler, The Color of Money and The Man Who Fell to Earth. I can't think of many people who've had so many of their novels filmed so well, especially considering he only wrote 6 novels and died relatively young. The one I've enjoyed most of his has been Mockingbird, an effective post-apocalyptic novel in which the last remaining humans are provided for by robots who seem intent on stopping them breeding...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Tevis

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018

10. Joffrey

Joffrey Stylish Dinosaur

I started New York Trilogy by Paul Auster. Finished book/story 1 (City of Glass) and I'm perplexed. I am going to force myself to finish the other 2 books/stories included (thankfully they appear shorter).

11. bencap

bencap Well-Known Member

As a big fan of sci-fi/"speculative fiction", I've been meaning to start digging into Robinson's output because I've heard a lot of good things. Is this the first book of his you've read, or do you have a recommendation for a good one to start with?

12. FlyingMonkey

He's been writing a number of loosely-linked books connected to a post-climate change future: 2312, New York 2140 and Aurora. I'd start with those and then maybe go back to the Mars Trilogy if you decide you like his stuff. However, my personal favourite novels of his are his stand-alone ones that play with history: The Years of Rice and Salt and Galileo's Dream.

13. FlyingMonkey

I've been reading some older Japanese crime fiction by Seicho Matsumoto: Inspector Imanishi Investigates, which is really evocative of the time just before the 1964 Tokyo Olympics but which relies on an unintentionally hilarious plot twist and a series of unlikely coincidences, and A Quiet Place, which I am currently enjoying.

14. Jax33

Jax33 New Member

Letting go by David hawkins

15. edinatlanta

Silence by shusaku endo