What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by chorse123, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Try The Last Days of New Paris found it weirdly entertaining.

I was very impressed with his historical account of Red October 1917 a very detailed account of the internal political machinations and personalities over a tight time frame dealing with the events of the period leading to the Bolshevik seizure of Russia.

2. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Finished "the two Towers" in about a week and the below which was every bit as charming as I hoped.

Picking up the return of the king now. What's funny is my haul from mckays was supposed to be my summer reading. Haven't touched any of them. My goal is to reread the Harry Potter books after lotr.

[​IMG]

3. Frederic Tobias

Frederic Tobias Member

The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy: A Handbook for Girl Geeks
    Very interesting and attractive book, explain everything in the fandom world!

5163YHRt18L._SX355_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

4. john sherdy

john sherdy Member

José Mourinho: Up Close and Personal

l[​IMG]

5. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Maybe I burned out with lotr reading the first two as quickly as I did. After trodding heavily through 100 pages i set it aside.

Reading a river runs through it.

6. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

I've been reading comics on my laptop again (a nice midpoint between reading and tv, they help me fall asleep at night) and was pleased to come across some worthwhile material. Jonathan Hickman's New Avengers run was amazing, very literary and novelistic, building suspense over five or so volumes. Some of the scenes were so well done, I feel they rivaled the quality of what you'd find on something like Game of Thrones. The plot centers around an idea very similar to the movie Another Earth, only in this version, the intruding, alternate Earth must be destroyed to preserve the space-time continuum or whatever, creating a situation where the heroes must decide to essentially destroy equally decent versions of themselves (and a world of innocents) in order to survive. It's grand in scope, yet remarkably cohesive, and very satisfying.

Brian Bendis's International Iron Man -- a single, digestible volume -- was also uncharacteristically good, a dual narrative involving the search for Tony Stark's biological parents. It's from the same creative team behind the most critically lauded Daredevil run -- great stuff.

Both feature exciting action, of course, but are mostly character driven, with great, medium-appropriate details.

7. boomshokalocka

boomshokalocka Member

Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance
    The author provides a theory on what makes people successful - outworking others and never giving up accomplish goals (grit), while others with greater intellects and talent achieve less (no grit). If you like Malcolm Gladwell, you'll probably enjoy this book. Lots of survey results, deeper thinking, and a different way of analyzing success and what goes into success. Good read for young adults trying to find their way or trying to find motivation.

8. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Most recent were Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, Huxley's Brave New World and I finished Orwell's 1984 last week.

Planning some beach reading for a couple of weeks on an island in the Ionian Sea, something about Greek mythology might have been more fitting, but I just picked up this

[​IMG]

- though the one I got might be broken as mine doesn't do that.

Planning to pick up and bring along Terry Hayes' I am Pilgrim as well.