1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by chorse123, Mar 13, 2006.

1. life_interrupts

life_interrupts Senior member

[​IMG]
    Colson Whitehead's Underground Railroad. A departure to my last two reads: Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance and We Should All be Feminists, by Chiamanda Adiche.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  2. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Just finished this. Excellent book.

3. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

What'd you think? The Intuitionist(?) was amazing, but I felt his 'literary' zombie novel was tedious and unnecessary, a pointed grab for crossover cash, or something he was too self-conscious or embarrassed about to fully dig-in in to any kind of fun or inspiring way. (Contrast with Benjamin Percy, who does the 'literary' genre novel well).

I still have high hopes for Underground Railroad.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  4. life_interrupts

life_interrupts Senior member

I'm about 2/3 through it. Will finish it before the weekend's out, but to this point, I like the care he puts into the character development. It fiddles with a few historical "what ifs" one or two that seem plausible. I'll check back when I'm done.

2 people like this.
  5. Toperone

Toperone Member

Now i'm not reading any book, but I like read some news and journals at http://paperity.org/ Do you know this site? I think it's definitely worth a visit.

noob in 89 likes this.
  6. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Dylan Tomine's 'Closer To The Ground'. It's a collection of stories about "living off the land" to an extent on the Olympic Peninsula in Washington.

IMG_6838.JPG

noob in 89 likes this.
  7. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

I read quite a lot of Japanese fiction and I agree - while I thought it was probably a pretty accurate and well-written portrayal of the oppressive and tedious work culture in a Japanese police department, it wasn't up to much as a 'crime' novel.

Have you read 'Villain' by Shuichi Yoshida? I'd recommend that one. Again, just don't expect it to be crime fiction has you know it...

noob in 89 likes this.
  8. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Found that Frank O'Hara book sticking out of something and decided to give it another chance. It seems to have a certain cachet, as well as a brief resurgence every now and then when used as shorthand on TV shows such as Mad Men.

I prefer poetry that hold up without line breaks -- but this time I'm going to try and glean something about the power of line breaks, I guess.

Also rereading Steve Gerkhe (sp?) poems, which are infinitely good.

9. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Nope but the Atlanta library has a ton of his books so I added it to my list. Thanks!